Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 11:46AM

From Science Alert: "After testing people's thought patterns in relation to the formality of their attire, researchers found that suit-wearers felt more powerful, and this encouraged them to think about the big picture rather than getting hung up on the details. Or in psychology terms, donning a suit encouraged ‘abstract processing’ rather than ‘concrete processing’."
Like don't get hung up in the details of the BOM or what this or that prophet said.

Also "Wearing formal clothing makes us feel more powerful, which brings with it a sense of more social distance from other people...."

http://www.sciencealert.com/research-shows-wearing-a-suit-changes-the-way-you-think

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 03:27PM

I feel more powerful in jeans and tennis shoes.

In fact, as CTO of a NYSE company, I got a rather neat "power trip" kick when I'd close multi-million $$ deals in my jeans and tennis shoes, while the people I was dealing with were all in monkey suits. Sort of a, "hah, you suckers, thinking your suits were something special..." :)

Now, sure, perhaps I'm the oddball. Or not...

Posted by: bona dea unregisteered ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 03:57PM

They are run by extremely old men who are living in the past where men wore suits and women wore knee length

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 05:53PM

I tend to wear a dress shirt and tie and a blazer when I go to most church funerals. I consider it a matter of respect. I dressed that way when I went to church as did folks from most faiths back then. Can't see showing up to pay my respects to someone I care about in jeans and a t-shirt.
That being said I will be wearing exactly that when I get planted, per my instructions. No church will be involved in my final journey but beer will.

Ron Burr

Posted by: One Way Jay ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 06:04PM

"donning a suit encouraged ‘abstract processing’ rather than ‘concrete processing’."

--------------------

I seldom see artists in suits.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.