Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:44PM

Sister missionary who has been our ward for one month, said today ,the sisters needed a priesthood blessing this week. It was a tough week she said. Her comments indicated she was not prepared for the toughness of a mission.
I would say they are discouraged that no one in ward is giving them referrals.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:48PM

Hahahahahahahaha! Then THEY don't need receive a blessing!

They need the ward priesthood holders to give blessings to the ward members, "...that they may be moved and quickened to seek from among their friends and neighbors, the names of those who the spirit leads them to know have been made ready to receive the redeemer, even Jesu Cristo, and to give those names, addresses, telephone numbers and a brief bio to ghawds true servants, even the sister missionaries...."

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 08:20PM

That's what I was thinking when she was speaking. She is in the wrong place in the wrong period of her life. She should be dating, partying and fetting an education.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 08:40PM

I personally think it is outrageous for TSCC to require members to provide referrals to an obviously oversized and inefficient missionary force.

In the early 1960's when I served (in Texas) we would occasionally be given the name of someone who was interested - usually a member's co-worker or relative. We never asked for referrals and, for the most part, developed our own leads the old fashion way - knocking on doors. After we had pretty well "used up a town" we went on to the next one. There were always new "untapped" areas to tract. I personally baptized a couple of dozen quality converts. Of course, back then, we didn't have missionaries stumbling over themselves. We only had some 12,000 serving then vs a claimed 85,000 today - SEVEN TIMES AS MANY with most of the US now fully worked over.

If baptisms were sales and the sponsoring corporation had to pay the sales expenses including salaries and benefits, they would have made major reductions in personnel long ago. How many more missionaries will needlessly die or be bodily harmed before they get the message? Hardly a day passes without some new difficulty involving Mormon missionaries being reported.

The unholy fifteen need to realize the overworked Mormon missionary "rite of passage" simply is no longer viable in today's internet world. The few investigators who are interested in Mormonism could easily be taught and integrated by local ward missionaries. There really isn't a good reason to send young men and women in harms way removed from their family, friends, and education.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 08:44PM

You're thinking from the perspective of the individual.

If you were a Big 15, you'd be thinking from the perspective of the cash cow that supports and sustains you, and you'd want to get to the predicted 100,000 missionaries ASAP, to increase the odds that more of the youth would stay active, i.e., paying tithing and having babies. Or is it having babies and paying tithing? ...I've been out so long I've sort lost touch...

Date: May 03, 2015 08:54PM

Oh, I know full well why they are doing it. The same reason Hitler developed and promoted his Youth Corps - indoctrination and lifelong commitment to the cause.

My point is that the unholy fifteen should not be manipulating young people for a very selfish and dishonest reason. They call it "serving the lord". I call it "needlessly using the young and naive".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 09:23PM by Templar.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 02:27AM

In many cases, they really are young and naive especially if they've lived their whole lives in the Morridor. I think it's disgusting that they're manipulated by the unholy 15 by being sent outside of their bubble, then when they get back, there's the pressure to be married before they're even home for a full year.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 06:34AM

don't worry, no matter how much that a MORmON member really does for LDS Inc, they will always want more. Give them a billion $,
then they will want to know when they can get another.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 02:34AM

I feel so sorry for those little girls and young boys in our area. We invite them in anytime they are in our neighborhood. I figure that anytime they're sitting in our living room playing our piano, eating our food, or playing with out baby, it's that much less time they're spending out in the cold (or warm in our case) cruel world where harm might come to them. They could be my nieces or nephews. They're very pleasant when they're in our home, and they talk the bare minimum about religion.

I'd just hate for anything bad to happen to them, just as I would hate for anything bad to happen to one of my nieces or nephews. I know it was their choice to go (with major pressure in some cases) but I really want them to be safe.

Posted by: Anon brit ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 03:35AM

Referrals. The assumption that the congregation are actually going to know people who are interested in becoming lds is such a stretch it makes me laugh.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 08:05AM

I agree!

When we get love bombed by the mishies, they always ask TBM DH if we have any neighbors they can teach. Even inactive DH thinks its totally ridiculous.

I visited SLC with DS and DIL a few years ago (when we all believed and were active) and we visited temple square. The mishies wanted us to give them referrals. I referred my Baptist coworker and the mishies down here at home contacted him. Now I feel really stupid for ever doing anything like that (sorry Jose).

-Dennis

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 09:21AM

I'm pretty sure they just need to work harder and they will be blessed.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 10:07AM

I'm sure the priesthood blessing fixed everything.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 10:11AM

Void K. Packer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sure the priesthood blessing fixed everything.

Never underestimate the power of a placebo effect blessing. ;o)

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 10:11AM

I came back from my mission still very TBM, but vowing that I would NEVER turn my friends over to the tender invasions of the missionaries.

Posted by: Forgot to Mention Something ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 10:25AM

The sister missionary who bore her testimony said she turned down her first mission call. Then got a second call. Both where for Colorado so she knew this is were the Lord wanted her to serve. That gives me a clue right there. Family pressure to serve? Peer pressure to serve? Maturity factor missing? Something telling her to turn down first missionary call.

Oh, "Doubt Your Doubts" in play. Forgot.

I am very angry that a young lady is struggling in a field that has been crushed by the weather. And there is nothing left to harvest.

Date: May 04, 2015 12:41PM

So the Lord "calls" young men from Florida to serve in California and "calls" young men from California to serve in Florida. If they are only there to teach referrals, which appears to be the present case, the few they are given could easily be handled in the spare time of these same "servants of the Lord" while remaining at home where they can continue their education surrounded by family and friends. Of course, the TSCC would not be as able to indoctrinate (brainwash) them.

No matter how you cut it, it's pure bull crap, and very selfish of the "Lord" to engage in such disruptive nonsense. A recent thread on this board asked what good came out of having served a mission. Most posters answered little or none - and these individuals served back when most missions were meaningful and productive.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 02:51PM

In my opinion, missions are not really a tool for gaining new members but instead they are for retaining the memberships of those that are sent to serve. It is an intense 24/7 training period to "strengthen" testimonies of the young church members. Regiment their lives and further mold them into being subservient members who unquestionably follow church leaders. Get them so invested in the church that it will be too difficult to leave.

Date: May 04, 2015 03:46PM

Yes. Hitler's Youth Corps all over again. It's no wonder the Mormons baptized their role model and sealed him by proxy for eternity to his beloved Eva Braun.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 03:55PM

A dear friend of mine was asking me a lot of questions about the Mormon church when I last visited her. I asked if she would like me to send some missionaries to talk to her more about it and she begged me not to. It seems some missionaries came to her door once before and she invited them in just to be polite. It took months to get them to stop knocking on her door. She just wanted some basic information without the hard sell.

Date: May 04, 2015 04:00PM

You bring up yet another problem for today's missionaries. Too many jerks have been there before them leaving in their wake a bad taste in many mouths.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 07:11PM

A venue that does just that, provides basic info without the hard sell, now exists. It's called the Internet, and it has the church frantically flailing in fear for some way to deal with it.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 07:20PM

+1

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.