Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 12:19PM

The RLDS Church does not believe in the Pearl of Great Price. Why? Could it be because they recognized it was a fraud after the papyri were discovered? This is a fairly large church, 250,000 people strong. That's a big consensus. If they agree that Smith forged the Pearl of Great Price, why don't they also agree that Smith forged all his other claims?

The RLDS also does not believe in temple work. Why? Do they think Smith lied about everything to do with the temple? And, again, if he lied about that, why do they trust anything else he said?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cowboy Jack ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 12:34PM

The simple answer is Emma Smith.

She was an eye witness to all of it, and was victimized by it.

Imagine being married to a guy who was a pathological liar that seduced girls in your home, married thirty plus women secretly without your knowledge, all under the supposed commandment of angel with a sword, and then formalized it in a Masonicish temple ceremony he made up to make it god's idea.

Emma was with Joseph from the start and knew he was a con man and evangelical snake oil salesman.

After BY split to Utah, and after other so called prophets started splinter groups, she finally anointed her son as the true successor and thus the RLDS began.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 12:48PM

Emma was in on the con and she knew that if she went to utah she would be Brigham's slave.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 12:41PM

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 12:47PM

Minor correction:

The RLDS (now "Community of Christ") do not accept the Book of Abraham.

They DO accept the other two parts: The Book of Moses and the Joseph Smith writings.

The Book of Moses is the first part of the Joseph Smith Translation [of the Bible], which is the Bible version they use.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 12:48PM

I went through their temple a couple times, and the guide told us that their church did not require people to believe in the first vision story...

Posted by: I know! I know! ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 12:51PM

I'll take "Things That Are Bullshit" for $500, Alex.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.