Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Already Gone ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 12:11PM

My stance on gay marriage changed when I read what the church's stance was on monogamy. I couldn't believe that they said monogamy hurts families and even caused Rome to fall, not to mention you will age better. Not to mention it keeps men away from hookers.

Like this quote:

"...the one-wife system not only degenerates the human family, both physically and intellectually, but it is entirely incompatible with philosophical notions of immortality; it is a lure to temptation, and has always proved a curse to a people."
- Prophet John Taylor, Millennial Star, Vol. 15, p. 227

I realized something from John Taylor's quote.

1. He was born to monogamous parents. He would know the way he was raised wasn't fundementally evil. He's either lying through his teeth trying to get members to continue with it or he has completely deluded himself, even though he would know the issues surrounding polygamy. Neither of those options are appealing.

2. He was an old man when he said this. Many of the saints never experienced living in monogamy, or even traveled where monogamy was the norm. He was creating an us vs. them hysteria while not being specific as to why monogamy is harmful.

3. He was not just mistaken, but fundamentally morally wrong. My study of polygamy shows me families and marital relationships were ruined. Monogamy didn't do that.

This sounds familiar, doesn't it? Sounds like the anti gay marriage rhetoric to me. Reading these quotes made it crystal clear what it was that they were trying to do. Make people practice polygamy and make saints feel superior.

I had to come to the conclusion if the were this wrong 140 years ago about marriage, they could be wrong today. (not to mention that God somehow refiners the decree that polygamy is essential to get to heaven.)

Check out these quotes:
http://www.i4m.com/think/sexuality/homosexual_ruin.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Top ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:15PM

Posted by: top ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 12:35PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 01:30PM

Mormon Polygamy created a disastrous ripple of multi generational poverty in my family line.

Posted by: baneberry ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 01:34PM

Well, the church may again have the chance to take polygamy to the SCOTUS and get it declared constitutional. They've pushed all of their chips onto the table over monogamy that it'll be really hard to back down from it. I don't get the idea that they are overly concerned with history's facts, their application to the current teachings and they want to change things to be whatever it is that they are pushing right now.

How could they do so easily with the Proclamation on the Family? They cannot be bothered with the facts.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.