Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 10:54AM

Most of you have heard about the sister missionaries in Chile who were assaulted in their apartment this past week. One of the four was raped.

Deseret News covered the story in their online paper, mentioning that the sisters had been assaulted, BUT MADE NO MENTION OF THE RAPE! (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865627703/LDS-sister-missionaries-assaulted-in-Chile.html)

On Friday evening, I tried to post a comment to the article on three separate occasions, pointing out that their article contained a link to the Chilean online news report that gave the rape the appropriate headline status, while DNews made no mention of it anywhere.

I asked why DNews was burying the rape story?

Each effort to get this commentary accepted was rejected by DNews, even though I softened my comment with each successive attempt.

Saturday morning I was still ticked off about it, so I got onto the DNews website again and wrote a 4th comment to the article that questioned their journalistic integrity. I didn't expect it to get in, I just wanted them to know what I thought of them, and I hoped it might cause the internal moderator who had to read my comments a little cognitive dissonance.

Well, to my surprise, this most unflattering comment got in, after which other commentators took notice of what DNews was doing and piled on.

My point is that there is no consistency in the moderator judgement just like there is no consistency in the judgement of one bishop to another in disciplinary actions.

I knew the paper was church owned, but I had never before considered the similarities in this regard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.