Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 10:30AM

by signing on to marriage brief:

George Pyle wrote Sunday in the Salt Lake Tribune that Gene Schaerr, the lawyer hired by the state of Utah to argue against marriage equality in the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals, has filed an amicus brief in the Supreme Court case and has done so for "100 scholars of marriage." Pyle noted that among the 100 are 13 with connections to Utah, including, "most notably, Matthew Holland, the president of Utah Valley University."

All of us, including our university president Matthew Holland, have the right to speak publicly as private citizens on controversial issues. However, as the public face of UVU to the larger community, Holland has a special responsibility to avoid public pronouncements that would harm his ability to carry out his duties as president of a state university officially committed to "diversity and inclusion."

As current and former members of the Utah Valley University faculty and staff, we find President Matthew Holland's promotion of the spurious ideas expressed by the "100 scholars" and the potential association of UVU with the Schaerr brief to be disappointing and harmful to values at the core of our public university.

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/2461463-155/letter-of-the-week-holland-hurts

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 10:35AM

What are these "spurious ideas"?

"....arguing that allowing gay people to get hitched will so belittle the institution of marriage that straight people will shun the whole thing and a generation of lonely single women will be driven to some 900,000 abortions over the next generation."

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/2435201-155/pyle-anti-equality-utahns-not-giving-up

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 10:54AM

How lovely. So now, barring a single iota of reputable data backing their claim, they and their ilk are now asserting that deh gheys cause women to have abortions.

Not only are they missing a causation mechanism for this vapid assertion, they don't even have any correlation data backing the same (more gays per capita over time, and a correlating trend of more abortions per capita over that same time period).

And mollycoddled-boy Holland is in charge of an institution of higher learning.

Oy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 10:59AM by schlock.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 12:35PM

and there is nothing wrong with abortions.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 02:41PM

I loved UVSC and I feared this when Holland Jr. was handed this position. Well, now the diversity of UVSC has finally become BYU Jr.

Mormonism is a virus.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 10:47AM

Mormons pretend to be uber patriotic, yet cannot fathom separation of church and state.

Where are LDS kids supposed to attend school when their controlling parents only aspire to BYU or BYU adjacent/will only financially support kids attending school in the Utah Valley cocoon? LGBT kids and all students deserve an unbiased state school president.

My first day at BYU, my English teacher asked who was going to give the opening prayer. I died inside. I didn't know every class would be seminary.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 12:24PM

Does this still happen? Is every class at BYU begin and end with prayer?

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 12:39PM

No... my 300+ size classes didn't have prayer. It depended on the teacher. It would be funny if bio began with prayer, "Please help us study evolution, as long as it is translated correctly..."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 11:00AM

You know that jokey remark in defense of gay marriage, "If you're against gay marriage, then don't marry a gay person!"

Isn't it weird, and also hard to put into words just how weird, that la iglesia mormona has invested quite a bit of effort into getting gay people to marry straight spouses. So in a manner of speaking, los mormones have been promoting gay marriage for quite some time!

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 03:02PM

Well, what can we expect from a bunch who appoint themselves the "Scholars of Marriage?" I didn't even know there was an accredited course on "marriage," much less a degree offered.

Does it include training in polygamy, misogyny, betrayal and how to insert Bishops between the sheets?

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 03:15PM

The light here is that all of these scholars at UVU spoke out in defense of the wrong that is being done.

Very commendable.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 03:45PM

Dodos shouldn't breed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.