Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ohdeargoodness ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:43AM

It personally took me about two months to go from peeking on here, wondering if I was going to be hit by a bolt of lightning, to my first post. I was wondering how long it took all of y'all to go from lurker to poster too!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:45AM

About 2 days. I had big issues I was dying to talk about.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:48AM

Hmm, I don't remember when this site was inaugurated, but I visited it then. I started posting, like, 2 years ago. :)

[edit note: I left in 92, long before rfm existed]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 02:02AM by Void K. Packer.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:53AM

Took me 3 years from debating religion on the internet to total loss of testimony visited here, but it wasn't a debating site, so didn't stay.

Posted by: superman4691 ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 02:00AM

For me, it was for similar reasons as DebbiePa.
It took me about 2 days to read what was going on here, how things worked, and if my "issues" were relevant to other members.

Living with a very TBM spouse created an atmosphere in our home that I learned you don't question or even talk about where mormonism is concerned.
I needed an outlet.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 02:16AM

I read two or three threads then immediately registered and made my first thread. Once I realized that other people had gone through what I was currently going through at the time, and were freely sharing insight and experiences here, I was hooked! That was about 18 months ago now and Ive literally been here every day since. Though I dont always post

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 02:34AM

It took me six months of lurking to make my first post, about three years to learn the nuts and bolts of Mormonism, and some time after that (I think) before I registered. Once I registered, I wondered what took me so long.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 02:47AM

I read the archives here for several months trying to figure out the psyche of my Mormon neighbors. Mostly I was trying to figure out (because of my neighbor’s veiled but serious aggression towards me) how truly dangerous they really were. Like, had anyone ever been killed or seriously harmed by a Mormon neighbor … how far would they really take this?

Anyway, after exhausting that resource and finding lots of interesting insights into my neighbors, I checked out the forum for a few days, just lurking and reading posts. I’ll never EVER forget my first post a few days later. Even though I too am an atheist who has never attended any church ever, I posted “Hey, why are all the atheists here so cranky.” Like, right in the subject line.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. (Oops!)

I wasn’t joking or messing with anybody, I was just naïve.

I’ll never forget donbagley’s quip: “A lion in a den of Daniels.”

Once I re-grew my limbs again, I’ve been here posting ever since (about 7 months now.) :)

Haha, I'll never forget that first post. Like I said, oops.

Posted by: mickeymousemormon ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:07AM

The book "The Voice of Knowledge" by Miguel Ruiz was instrumental in helping me through my TBM to SoP transition. Seriously, that book put into perspective why people do the things they do and helped me remove the anger I had. I've been a lurker for close to eight years and I just started posting this year, but I am very introverted and felt I didn't need to engage in two way communication. I didn't realize the wonderful advice and good discussions you fine people could contribute to my personal issues. So, the answer is seven years, for me.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:21AM

A few months of lurking. I felt I had nothing to add and then a thread developed that I had to jump in on and the rest is history. Took my first beating at some point (asking people to break up long blocks of text), realized I could survive the experience and kept going. Gradually learned to temper my comments when they could rightly be perceived as snide towards a poster. Have no problems with making snide comments about profits or doctrine.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:58AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.