Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 10:33PM

I am continuing 'Cwm31s's' thread:Upcoming Weekend Worldwide Devotional: Getting your Testimony back!

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1572956,1572956#msg-1572956

How do I keep my head from exploding? How do I keep for saying something I know will not be particularly helpful...

So, I have need for two of my teens and I to be at church (TSCC) tomorrow. While they'll head out after sacrament I will need to hang in there for SS & Priesthood. Small ward. We were highly active family so we will be noticed. Ugh.

And so I came here for a distraction and saw 'cwm31's' thread on the upcoming devotional. It is reasonable to assume that the 'get your testimony' back theme will run through SS & priesthood.

I would ask for 'prayers' but, well, that would might not be the best request on this board ... at least my phone can be used as a 'hotspot' which means I can 'bypass' the ward WiFi filters an could browse here if the need arises. Ugh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cwm31s ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 11:00PM

Nice to see my thread was continued! To put it bluntly, all of your responses to this have been straight to the point. Tonight my TBM YSA brother FB messages me, and says I will be blessed If i watch the devotional, heck no brother. I'm not watching a corporate entity try to sway me again. Not happening.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:36AM

">Does my testimony make my butt look big?

>Well whoever took mine can keep it.
It was too tight on me anyway."

Best post of that whole epic thread!

BTW, you lookin pretty damn good, seekyr.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 08:24AM

;-)

The idea being that testimonies of the LDS church are not able to expand as your knowledge grows. Therefore they become too tight. Once you discard that testimony based on knowledge of facts, you may feel pressured to try to squeeze yourself back into it, but you'll never be comfortable in it again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 09:28AM by seekyr.

Posted by: crunchynevmo ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:46AM

Would someone mind explaining to this nevmo what exactly the devotional is? Is it like the sermon given to the entire congregation?

LDS church is confusing!

Thanks!

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 03:22AM

Typically a worship service centered on one or more sermons, with music but no sacraments. Usually held in a very large venue like the Tabernacle, the Conference Center, the BYU Marriott Center, etc. Often televised and recorded. The main sermon is often by a Genera Authority of the church, right on up to the Prophet himself if he's functioning well.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 03:36AM

Pretty accurate rundown for nomos Historicher.

I would add that unlike many other religious gatherings, there is no incense to mask the reek of fear that will pervade as the hapless junior-grade rubes attempt to assuage the awakening flock.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 09:57AM

I so like the saying "Once the bell has been rung, you can not Un-ring it.".

I use to worry about folks jumping back into the cult pot until I realized that, while they may choose to go "la- la - la" to try to distract themselves from newly found knowledge (the truth) they will never be able to completely obliterate the ring tones that accompanied the ringing of the bell and permeated their conscious awareness.

Going back ? Well maybe it seems possible but it will never be the same for them.... JMHO

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.