Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: superman4691 ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 10:29PM

Looking back at all the meaningless paperwork as a former Sunday School president, what is the purpose of taking roll every Sunday?
I know the church only counts the numbers in attendance for sacrament meeting, and I don't remember them taking a specific roll in gospel doctrine, or elders quorum, but why is there a "roll" taken for the teens and kiddies in Sunday School?

Are these name rosters sent into church headquarters and logged into some databank for some reason?
What purpose does it serve to know that little Timmy attended Sunday school on August 12th, 1973?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 10:33PM

to keep the minions busy doing busy work.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 11:02PM

So they can see trends and know who to love bomb

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:17AM

The commandment "Ye shall be a record keeping people" use to be a large part of the restored Gospel. Everything that was written down (membership records, tithing records, attendance records, etc...) were to mirror what was written in the "Book of Life". So when judgement, the heavens would just whip out a copy of all of those records to help judge you.

SWK was very, very big on this and pushed this quite a bit during his presidency. https://www.lds.org/new-era/1975/10/the-angels-may-quote-from-it?lang=eng

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:18AM

Stupid is as stupid does.

Date: May 03, 2015 01:32AM

As far as I knew, those Sunday school rolls never left the church. They were always returned to the library where I think they got shoved into a filing cabinet every week, making me wonder, why?
But I learned tscc doesnt like being asked, "Why?"

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 02:16AM

wait, yeah, why?

It implies that church attendance is mandatory doesn't it?

Is that why I felt compelled to go every week?

Gagh! the brainscrubbing is just everywhere isn't it?

Posted by: hfo ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 02:19AM

Rolls for the kids did get boiled down to a statistic that was entered quarterly in the MLS. Other than that the rolls were handed to the bishop so that he could keep tabs on kids that weren't attending.

Nothing was ever done with adult Sunday school roll. Doesn't even go on the MLS. When I was ward clerk an old bishop asked me why we even circulated the darn things as they were disruptive to class. I asked the current bishop if we could drop it in the adult class, and we did.

Also counting heads in sacrament is only entered into the computer for the last month of each quarter, so the other 8 months the guy really doesn't need to do it, but it's tradition.

Date: May 03, 2015 02:58AM

Thank you. I always wondered, and it never really made any sense to me.
I always pictured the old, completed rolls being shipped off to Salt Lake, where some clerk named Milton, working in a back office cubicle had to log in all this vital information. Lol

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uVD3KPUnKHk

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 05:10AM

Log rolls?

Beer is great.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 02:51AM

ContROLL!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 03:08AM

In the ward I lived in they would pass around the roll that had blank check spots for a month.

I would always check every square at the first of the month. Nobody ever said anything to me about that. Even when I was TBM I figured it wasn't their business to know if I showed up for SS every week.

Date: May 03, 2015 03:25AM

I use to do the same thing,.... even check ahead a few weeks in case I wasnt there. Lol

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 03:23AM

I was married in 1973 and my new wife and I moved into some apartments not far from the Cottonwood Mall in Salt Lake City.

I was called to be the Young Men's secretary, to go collect the rolls during the actual class time and I remember transferring them to a chart or something each week or month.

No one ever told me what to do with the collection of rolls and I asked the YM president more than once who I was supposed to give them to. He was new also, and said he would find out and let me know.

We lived in the apartments for about 18 months and when we were packing to move, I found a dozen or so rolls, for both weeks and months. I tossed them away.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 03:29AM

We would use the attendance records to find out who to worry about.

If a 'sister' hadn't been to ANY RS meeting in a month, then they were put on a list and handed in to the bishopric at the end of the month. They would also end up on the agenda as 'sisters of concern' at our RS Presidency Meeting. So we'd pray for them, and try and figure out how to get them to at least one meeting per month. That sometimes involved looking for a small assignment on the Homemaking committee, or some way to participate in class so they'd HAVE to come.

So basically, the rolls are there to help the church determine if it's time to talk about you in meetings, and manipulate you into attending. Maybe it's there to give the ward leaders something to do, to make them feel like they are being useful. Or maybe it's to help people bond as they gossip about people who don't attend.

I think the ward turned in a compiled list to the Stake of the officially inactive people for the month. Maybe they became agenda items in ward council.

Posted by: ThatLittleBriggyWentWeeWeeWee ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 03:50PM

CULT!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 05:21AM

Because every organisation that has membership events wants to know who is attending meetings.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:06PM

Other churches don't seem to care.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 06:46AM

If a member doesn't attend, they are shunned or fellowshipped. If they need financial aid or clearance for certain programs they must attend. If they lie about attendance, there's proof of it in the records.

Posted by: frackenmess ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 02:47PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 09:46PM by frackenmess.

Posted by: wanderingbutnotlost ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 03:34PM

Gotta find out who's naughty or nice

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 03:42PM

It's not like they use the rolls as the actual membership count that they give out in Conference.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 06:21PM

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:01PM

It's a way to find out who they need to harass for not showing up on Sundays, and if someone is attending a BYU school, it could be enough to get them kicked out, or if they're graduating, they won't be able to get their degree.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:07PM

Speaking as a teacher, I think it's a good policy to take roll whenever underage children are involved. That way if there is a question as to a child's whereabouts at a later time, you have a record.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 01:28PM

object to the concept of a diety but I'm baffled by the notion of one who needs to take attendance." Amy Ferrah Fowler

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 01:43PM

You've no doubt heard of "kicking ass and taking names?" Anyway, it's another control mechanism. How else can you keep tabs on who is not attending, who is not signing up to clean or to feed the damn missionaries?

Posted by: jellobeltnevermo ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 01:45PM

DH's TBM friend told me they take roll so if you are not there, they can call and make sure you are okay. Yeah right.

Posted by: captainobvious ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 02:49PM

The purpose of taking role is to determine which individuals are present.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 07:08PM

So they can fire up those ovens for the cookie patrols.

Also, they will know who they can impose on; drop in without any warning.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.