Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 09:56PM

A couple of days ago I found out my daughter is going to be in a wedding, not as a bridesmaid, but as a "groomsmaid," standing up with her best friend, who happens to be a guy. These two have been best friends since high school, and although I always secretly hoped it would turn into something more, she once told me "ew, that would be like dating my brother." So through thick and thin they have been friends and now, on his very special day, he's asked her to stand up with him. She's so excited and honored to do so.

And this applies to Mormonism...of course, what else? Those awful, secret, rote, non-romantic Mormon weddings and how nothing like this ever could happen in a TBM family.

I've said it many times. Even though it was 35 years ago and I'm long divorced, I still feel awful about the way my family wasn't allowed to attend my stupid temple wedding. Not that it would have been anything to see...no flowers, music, candles, or vows that were about me and husband and our love for each other. No, it was kneeling across from each other over an alter vowing to be faithful Mormons. Bleh.

I'm so glad my children will never experience what I went through for their weddings. The girls get to choose their dresses based on what they find attractive, not on what covers up garment sleeves. They can write their own vows, pick their own venues, have music and flowers, and have adult beverages at the reception, which will definitely not be on a church basketball court. And EVERYBODY they want to be there will be invited.

Anyway, my daughter says she will not have to wear a tux, in case you're wondering, as I was. But I'm tickled for her and her dear friend. Can't wait!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 10:00PM

Ahhh...hhh...hhh...

This is wonderful, Debbie...wonderful for you, and wonderful for your daughter and her friend, too!!!

And thanks for clarifying about the tux, 'cause I was wondering too!!!

:D

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 10:16PM

A so-called Mormon temple wedding isn't even a wedding - it's referred to and administered as a "sealing". Couples are not married, they are sealed. Nothing in it is like a normal, formal wedding. The couple is not at the center - Mormonism clearly is and should be understood by brides prior to committing to this sorry excuse for "that all important" day.

Brides are really cheated big time, and yet this fraud of a religion actually teaches young girls to look forward to their eventual loss. The TSCC gets away with this bullshit in the name of secrecy. It would be like victims of crime not being allowed to discuss what happened nor even report that a crime ever took place.

Mormonism is a sham and needs to be understood for what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2015 10:18PM by Templar.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 10:22PM

I've mentioned this before, but when a nevermo acquaintance of mine & his wife had their wedding, they had a double size wedding party. They each had male & female attendants. They did this because they had a lot of close family & friends, & didn't want to leave anyone out.

(I didn't know the husband then. I saw the photos of their wedding some years later.)

Posted by: Never Mo Chris ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 10:46PM

How wonderful that your daughter and her friend are so open to nontraditional roles. Daughter #2 was "best woman" at her best friends wedding and she wore a tuxedo and everything. The bridal party was bride, groom, maid of honor and "best woman". The maid of honor and my ex were drafted to act as ushers the day of the ceremony. Needless to say, a good time was had by all.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 12:01AM

"Groomsmaid?" The term is a bit awkward. I suggest "honor attendant." (source: Judith Martin, a.k.a. "Miss Manners)

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:14AM

That was actually my word. In her original text message to me about it, my daughter said "Groomsman-maid" and I thought that was really awkward. I didn't know what else to call it, but I like Honor Attendant. Thanks!

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 04:40AM

When my son was BestMan for his long term best buddy the second groom's attendant was the girl who had been their friend since kindergarten. She looked fantastic in a black cocktail dress with sash of the bridesmaid's colour.

At my son's wedding his wife had her brother as her second attendant.

Needless to say neither were Mormon ceremonies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.