Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nolongerquestioning81 ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 05:21PM

So this link has been making the TBM-over-sharing rounds on FB:

http://ldsliving.com/story/78511-8-famous-people-who-became-mormons

Perhaps someone should start a comparative post with all the famous people who LEFT Mormonism?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2015 05:21PM by serslyqustning1981.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: crunchynevmo ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 05:31PM

That's the best they can do??

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 06:45PM

I was going to ask the same thing. Also it needs to be pointed out that after they joined, didn't their careers actually take nose dives? Look at Stewart Peterson, Johnny Whitaker, David Archuletta, they go on missions and their career ends.

So now let's try 8++++ people who left Mormonism and became famous... Aaron Eckhardt, Amy Adams, the Hough Siblings, Chelsea Handler, Paul Walker, etc...

I would indeed pass this on as long as they accepted the caveat that Mormonism doesn't help make you famous as much as it makes you infamous.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 05:35PM

lame

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 05:38PM

'A Couple of Famous People and Some Other Not Really That Famous People Who Joined the Mormon Church For Various Reasons That Have Little To Do With Jesus'

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 05:45PM

This is yet another example of where those who supposedly know "beyond a shadow of a doubt" need continued reassurance that they are doing the right thing.

I happen to like almost all of John Travolta's movies and have always had a thing for Kelly Preston, his wife, since "Mischief". However, I would never consider joining Scientology.

Why Mormons persist in hero worship is well beyond my limited understanding.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )

The fact these celebs joined a church...any church is irrelevant. The fact the church they joined, uses their membership as a tool to legitimize itself is what's really fucking lame.

Ron Burr

Posted by: donbagley ( )

Some mediocre actors, a vaginal conversion or two, and an addled rocker. Gladys Knight was given her own gospel choir as a reward for joining. What's that midnight train say? Woo woo.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 06:57PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gladys Knight was given her
> own gospel choir as a reward for joining. What's
> that midnight train say? Woo woo.

Well there we have the inverse to the parental indoctrination that thee and me endured...

Poor Glady's own kid was the tug that hoodwinked her into the chimera chapel, complete with gawd-spell choir.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:53PM

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 05:52PM

The real question, are these people still active members? Plenty of people join the church and then never show up to church after that.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 05:55PM

Shall we compare it to a list of famous people who have joined Scientology?

Posted by: Anon brit ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 05:58PM

I've only heard of Gladys knight and glen beck. And glen beck doesn't sound like much of a catch.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 06:16PM

How come they never have a "... now meet 593,491 intelligent humans who have resigned from the church..." list?

Posted by: foolmoon ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 06:42PM

Some of the famous people who have left the lds movement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_Latter_Day_Saints

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 06:47PM

I like that... I didn't know this entry existed. Excellent point.

Date: May 02, 2015 08:01PM

Great find. I, like dydimus had no idea such a list existed. But, of course, the internet.

Amy Adams is even hotter (if that were possible) now knowing she left the CULT. Go Amy!

Posted by: boogles84 ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:52AM

One who didn't make it on to the list is Mick Ronson, one of the Spiders From Mars and an arranger on several of David Bowie's albums...he grew up in Hull and as far as I know his mother Minnie is still an active member in the Hull 2nd ward we used to attend.

Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 07:38PM

They could have just referred readers to famousmormons.com (or.net)

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 08:06PM

The list of famous people who quit TSCC would be much more impressive!

Posted by: SuperDell ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 08:20PM

Adolf Hitler
Mao
Josef Stalin
Jeffry Dahmer
Josef Mengele
Shiro Ishii
Pol Pot
Hideki Tojo
Ted Bundy
Elizabeth Bathory
Vlad III, the Impaler

Mormons baptize murderers, rapists and criminals of all kinds and justify it with 'everyone gets a chance' all the while making the cutesy 'we didn't baptize 2 American presidents because they were not nice to us'.

The idiots even sealed Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun in marriage in the Temple.

Date: May 02, 2015 08:21PM

Very good call. I complete forgot about the bullshit proxy baptisms.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 08:00AM

And Ted Bundy became Mormon in this life, and was later rebaptized after his death at the hands of Florida officials.

Posted by: Wait! What? ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 05:35PM

Myron Donnerbalken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And Ted Bundy became Mormon in this life, and was
> later rebaptized after his death at the hands of
> Florida officials.

Are you kidding me??

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 08:05AM

Funyy how they're using this to express validity and truth of Mormon is. Half these people are dead. Which famous people are embracing Mormonism now? And how many famous people are embracing Catholicism, Buddhism, Judaism, etc. Which religion is more valid, more "true" today?

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 08:13AM

That was such a lame list. hadn't even heard of 2 (maybe 3) of them and the first person, that actor, IS TERRIBLE. He was on half a dozen episodes of the 4th season of 24 and I wanted to punch the screen.

The only cool one is that New York Dolls Guy, there is actually a really interesting documentary about him. Think it's called 'New York Doll'.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 12:44PM

Someone familiar with wikipedia editing needs to add
Brian David Mitchell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_David_Mitchell
to the former LDS under excommunicated members
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_Latter_Day_Saints

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 12:58PM

The EX list is amazing! I didn't know the frequent poster Tal is the son of BTO.
And the picture of Amy, no garments there for sure
Noticed Margaret Toscano isn't mentioned with her husband Paul- she's one of the original September Six.

Posted by: Waterevil ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 12:59PM

Mark Hoffman!

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:03PM

Gladys Knight, Dean Jagger from his movies (Twelve O'Clock High, Bad Day at Black Rock, White Christmas, Alligator, etc.) Glenn Beck (only on this board) and Gordon Jump (ditto).

And excuse my French, but what difference does it make? You could probably find eight persons at least as famous, who converted to any other religion.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:53PM

I randomly chose to google "8 famous Episcopalian converts" with no luck, but this came up:

http://www.graceepiscopal-chillicothe.org/Famous%20and%20Saints.html

Apparently a banned word or two in the list, otherwise I woulda pasted the most interesting folks, all of whom I'm sure have been baptized and confirmed as Mormons, many of them, like the Founding fathers, *demanded* it! :-)

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 05:15PM

Could you imagine what Mormons would be like if Tom Cruise or John Travolta had joined?

I don't even know 4 of the "famous" people on the list. Gordon Jump hasn't been relevant since the 1970s. Glenn Beck is an embarrassment to this country. Ricky Schroder joined to please his wife. The only one I don't get is Gladys Knight. They would have discouraged her from joining the 1970s. As a woman, the priesthood ban still exists, black or not.

More impressive is the list of Exmos: Paul Walker, Aaron Eckhart, Kevin Rahm, Amy Adams, Christina Aguilera, Jewel, Roseanne Barr, Ryan Gosling, Chelsea Handler, Win and Will Butler (Arcade Fire), Neil LaBute, Dustin Lance Black, C. Jay Cox, etc. Even "God's Army" film director Richard Dutcher has left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 05:34PM by axeldc.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 05:22PM

A few of those people I'd never even heard of. For example, who in the hell is kelly Packard?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.