Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mickeymousemormon ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:58AM

Just venting. My 19 yo son had a long lasting relationship with a wonderful girl. They developed a wonderful friendship with all the healthy elements of friendship and courting. Not the rushed tragedy that most Utah relationships go through. I had high hopes, and then MORMON strikes. This invidious spirit, with his throat cut and seeping blood convinces the girl that Temple Marriage is the only way. It's so sad she doesn't even know what it means or entails. It's the blatant ignorance that drives me crazy.

I gave my family the option of the red pill or the blue pill. Out of my four kids, two have taken the red pill.

At least one good thing came of it. My son turned in his papers. The, "Fark you, I'm out." Papers. I am so proud of him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: superman4691 ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 02:39AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2015 02:44AM by superman4691.

Date: May 02, 2015 02:41AM

I am assuming your son got dumped by this girl for her adherence to checking off the prerequisite boxes of the LDS Life Planner for Happiness. In essence, wanting to marry a suit with a recommend.

Speaking from long years of experience with just such a thing, its actually a good thing this girl did it now, instead of waiting 25 years of marriage and suddenly deciding she wants a do-over, and your son just isnt the bishopric material she finds attractive in a man.

Your son might love her more than life itself, but we're talking eternity in the celestial kingdom here, and thats more important than love. Just ask her, or any faithful card carrying member of the faith.

Your son may be heart broken now, but he is much better off without her. He will find somebody more to his liking and hers to him too. Besides at 19, he has a lot of growing up to do still and a lot of things to do before getting serious with anoother girl.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 02:51AM

Thanks given that this potential family was destroyed by MORmONISM before the family was formed instead of afterward.

MORmONISM has destroyed far more families and relationships than it has ever solidified.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 08:04AM

My son went through this last year. She is a smart, funny girl but growing up in an uber Mormon family messes with your head.

Even though it hurt, he realized it was for the best as Mormonism would have always been the third wheel in their relationship and he would never have been truly accepted by her family.

He is now dating a non-Mormon girl who is great. Her family adores him and he is a fully accepted member of their family, as she is in ours.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 01:20PM

caedmon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Even though it hurt, he realized it was for the
> best as Mormonism would have always been the third
> wheel in their relationship and he would never
> have been truly accepted by her family.

third wheels suck, but the thing that really slams a guy is when he realizes that MORmONISM is not the third wheel in his relationship, it is the FIRST wheel, and the guy finally sees that HE is the third wheel in his relationship with a MORmON.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 08:21AM

You're lucky though. He could have decided to do anything rather than lose her and could have become a total TBM.

He made the right choice.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 08:52AM

I'm sorry. The girl may come to regret that action as time passes.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 10:16AM

Same thing happened to our son (raised atheist). He had a great relationship with this girl who had been raised mormon but had never been active. Then the missionaries got hold of her and reactivated her. On their advice, she gave him the ultimatum, and he couldn't do it. She broke it off, and ended up marrying one of the missionaries and quickly had three kids.

We were all saddened, because we ALL loved her: she was a lovely, loving girl. Son ended up marrying a girl we didn't like at all.

Damned Mormons!

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 11:53AM

I lived that. Married a girl who wasn't "active," so there'd be no conflict on that front. Right. Harrassment started right away. Thank God DW finally saw the light.

Posted by: Anon today ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 05:19PM

I'm in that boat. DW totally inactive.
Then she wasn't.
"But I was Mormon when you married me!"

No, pumpkin, you weren't. Not. At. All.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 11:46AM

Someone needed to give your son's girlfriend the red pill.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 12:01PM

Family traditions are very strong in many religions, not just Mormonism. I'm sure we've seen it elsewhere.
Marriage requires that the couple be a match in so many important ways. It's wise to find out very soon where the deal breaker differences are.
Sounds like your son is making adult decisions! Good for him!

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 12:12PM

He just lost a lifetime of never measuring up, to: 12 year old "priesthood holders" her daddy, the bishop, stake pres, regional rep, GAs, prophets, Jesus, God...

He dodged a bullet, seriously. Ask any man on RfM who has a wife devoted to every man but him-even mythical dead pervert prophets... nightmare scenario.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 01:28PM

Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders Wrote:

> Ask any man on RfM
> who has a wife devoted to every man but him-even
> mythical dead pervert prophets... nightmare
> scenario.

My first wife, TBM, once told me that in her opinion all men
were rotten with the exception of the GAs and some religion
teachers (seminary, institute, BYU Religion dept. etc.)

Interesting that many TBM women have this viewpoint but roll
their eyes at the "man-hating feminists."

Date: May 03, 2015 02:09AM

I recall hearing some girls were mesmerized by their seminary teacher... ugh.

Yes, FEMINIST is the Mormon F word. (Yes, you're correct; I heard so many stay at home/never career women perpetually gripe about their husbands, yet tear up over "the savior" or some stupid conference talk...)

Date: May 03, 2015 04:06AM

Yes, I have seen many TBM women at church gush on and on about a talk they heard in general conference, and it is almost a montra to hear them say,

***"Oh, what a privelege and blessing it is to be able to sit at the feet of a living latter-day prophet, hear from our Savior, and be spritually filled!!"***

I have heard this more than once, and it makes me ill.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 12:56PM

I had a similar experience as a teen, with a wonderful girl...
except *I* was the one that did the dumping. Of my non-mormon girlfriend. For no other reason than that the bishop convinced me she'd corrupt me, keep me from becoming an elder and serving a mission and marrying in the temple.

Mormonism, destroying good relationships over bullshit for 150+ years...

Date: May 03, 2015 02:11AM

Sorry, Hie. Do you know what became of her?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 11:11AM

Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders Wrote:
> Sorry, Hie. Do you know what became of her?

I don't. Her dad got a job in Oklahoma before HS graduation, they moved (shortly after our break-up), and I never saw or heard from her again. I've tried to find her on FB with no success -- just to apologize for being such an ass and hurting her. :(

Posted by: mickeymousemormon ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 06:58AM

You seriously dodged a bullet. You have no idea what she would have done with your baker's cap. :-)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 07:56AM

Breakups over religion are usually better than waiting for the likely strife in marriage.

Marriages with different religions can work unless the religions are highly cultish as Mormonism is.

Posted by: Isthisnameok? ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 02:56PM

Plenty o'fish in the sea. Even if she went inactive for your son, there's not telling that at some point the future, when perhaps kids were involved, when her parents came along and convinced here to re-join the flock. Better now than later.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 03:00PM

Oh to be 19 again... He'll find someone else in a couple of months if he's a player. I've seen many people have others lined up even before the breakup. Kind of like some people never go jobless. there is always another gig around the corner.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 08:00PM

He'll get over it and at some future time will look back and see he was a lucky man.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.