Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 01:23PM

This is not my list. I got it off RFM several years ago, but "I can testify" that I heard all of these things either over the pulpit, in Gen Conf. or in Seminary.

1. Polygamy is a necessary qualification for eternal life.
2. Our race and nationality assignment were based on how valiant we were in the pre-existence.
3. The Catholic Church is the “whore of the earth.”
4. Blacks are an inferior race and the least intelligent.
5. It’s a sin to practice any type of birth control.
6. The US Government will collapse and the elders will rush to save it.
7. LDS saints will be called back to Missouri to take over the land and build a gigantic city of the New Jerusalem which brightness will be seen from the oceans.
8. It is better to die than to be violated sexually.
9. Some sins can only be atoned by the shedding of the perpetrator's own blood.
10. Dinosaur bones and other ancient fossils came from other planets that were used in the construction of this earth.
11. LDS leaders regularly meet with Jesus Christ personally
12. God will never allow an LDS leader to lead us astray.
13. Dark skinned people will become lighter when they turn to the gospel and are obedient.
12. Satan is in control of the water and important LDS people shouldn't risk going on large bodies where Satan can overtake them.
13. The Lord will return around the year 2000. When I was a teenager, local leaders used to tell the youth the second coming would be in 2000 or very close to that date.
14. The saints will make a dangerous and challenging return to Missouri on foot.
15. The lost tribes will return from the north countries.
16. Salt Lake City will be one of the most wicked places.
17. The three Nephites wander the earth helping strangers and then disappear.
18. The Battle of Armageddon is near. Just look at the conflicts in the Middle East.
19. The Book of Mormon will flood the earth.
20. When the members are righteous enough, the sealed portion of the BOM will be revealed.
21. Temples will be open 24/7 to accommodate all the work that needs to be done.
22. NYC will be destroyed.
23. All the gentiles will be warring against each other; the only peace will be in New Jerusalem.
24. The blacks would not get the priesthood until the last people on earth had the chance to hear and accept the gospel.
25. We need to have lots of children to accommodate the large number of spirits waiting to be born
26. We will be really thankful for that year's supply of wheat and will probably have to protect it from marauding bands of lawless gentiles.
27. We do not need to worry about destroying the environment because the "earth is full" and that the Lord would come back soon.
28. The earth will become like the Garden of Eden again or a big Urim and Thummin crystal ball depending on which scriptures you choose.
29. Wearing garments will protect you from trauma.

30. God was once a man.
31. Book of Mormon peoples filled South America and North America. All Indians were descendants of the Lamanites and Nephites.
32. The Book of Mormon is the most correct book on earth.
33. Joseph Smith had only a few wives sealed to him after he was dead. He wasn’t a polygamist.
34. You will be protected from danger while on a mission.
35. The Garden of Eden was in Missouri

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 01:35PM

Pretty damning indictment, I'd say. I heard almost all of them (the one about NYC is new to me) as revealed, god-given truths back in the 60s and 70s.

Posted by: emanon (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 03:12PM

I was taught each one of those 35 listed "truths" growing up in Utah.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 01:40PM

Great list!! It's too bad you never hear any of that crazy stuff with today's morg! If they taught of that stuff, peole would call them crazy or insane!!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 01:51PM

I was taught every single one of these. They weren't things that were just mentioned here and there, they were actually "taught" as if they were absolute facts.

There are many many mormons that still believe just about all of this. There are still many mormons who can't believe the blacks were given the priesthood.

One other teaching was that people are not born gay. They decide they are going to be gay because it's a weakness that they have.

Also, if a woman got married (sealed) that she would be the #1 wife and have power over all of the other wives that your husband would have in this life and the next. If your husband had previously been sealed to another woman, that woman would be considered the queen, and you would be #2 in line. How long you were married, what the circumstances were, how many children you had wouldn't change that fact.(still taught)

Mental health professionals don't understand the "true gospel", therefore they will not be of any use to you. If you try to explain it, they will think you're crazy because they don't have the spirit with them.

The gift of the holy ghost gives you a power of discernment that other people do not have.(still taught)

Priesthood holders have more power in their little finger than the POTUS or any King that has ever lived.(still taught)

Drinking coffee or tea will prevent you from being with your family and God in the next life.(still taught)

Talking about what goes on in the temple is a death sentence. You agreed to those term during the ceremony. You were also stuck with the person for eternity if you married them in the temple. If you had children in a second marriage (temple or not) your children from the second marriage belong to the first person you married. They still believe and enforce this through temple sealings.(Still taught)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 02:12PM by madalice.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 07:29PM

When I was fifteen I saw a psychiatrist who asked me to bring in my father. Dad sat in a chair and explained to the doctor how the field of psychiatry was a fraud, and his son just needed to follow the Lord the way he did. After his little tirade, Dad stood up and left the room to go wait and sulk in the car. The doctor turned to me and said, "I'm sorry, Don."

That was shortly before I was sent to a boy's ranch.

Posted by: draperite ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 01:53PM

33. Joseph Smith had only a few wives sealed to him after he was dead. He wasn't a polygamist.

Like I said before in another post....bipolar..

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 01:59PM

36. You may not drink Pepsi and Coke because they contain caffeine, and drinking caffeine is a violation of the Word of Wisdom.
37. When you go to the Celestial Kingdom and become a God, you get your own planet. (or as many or few planets as you see fit to create.)

Posted by: fakemoroni ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 02:03PM

Nice list. There is the cog-dis right there that I couldn't stomach and live with myself. The never changing "true" Church is not the same Church I was brainwashed in through the 60s.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 02:25PM

"22. NYC will be destroyed."

Oh, it wasn't just New York. Boston and Albany were also in God's crosshairs. (I could never figure out… why Albany? ALBANY?)

D&C 84:114

"Nevertheless, let the bishop go unto the city of New York, also to the city of Albany, and also to the city of Boston, and warn the people of those cities with the sound of the gospel, with a loud voice, of the desolation and utter abolishment which await them if they do reject these things."

Lyndon W. Cook, "The Revelations of the Prophet Joseph Smith," p. 177:

"Concerning the three cities mentioned in verse 114, Wilford Woodruff prophesied in 1863 that New York City would be destroyed by an earthquake, Boston by a tidal wave, and Albany by fire."[7]

[fn 7] See Deseret News (12 November 1884): 679.

ETA: Woodruff's prophecy also found in Lundwall, "Temples of the Most High," pp. 97-98:

"These cities were the subject of another prophet's testimony. Elder Wilford Woodruff addressed a conference in Logan, Utah, on 22 August 1863. Speaking directly to the youth in attendance, he declared: 'Now, my young friends, I wish you to remember these scenes you are witnessing during the visit of President Young and his brethren. Yea, my young friends, treasure up the teachings and sayings of these prophets and apostles as precious treasure while they are living men, and do not wait until they are dead. A few days and President Young and his brethren, the prophets and apostles and Brothers Benson and Maughan, will be in the spirit world. You should never forget this visitation. You are to become men and women, fathers and mothers; yea, the day will come, after your fathers, and these prophets and apostles are dead, you will have the privilege of going into the towers of a glorious Temple built unto the name of the Most High (pointing in the direction of the bench), east of us upon the Logan bench; and while you stand in the towers of the Temple and your eyes survey this glorious valley filled with cities and villages, occupied by tens of thousands of Latter-day Saints, you will then call to mind this visitation of President Young and his company. You will say: That was in the days when Presidents Benson and Maughan presided over us; that was before New York was destroyed by an earthquake; it was before Boston was swept into the sea, by the sea heaving itself beyond its bounds; it was before Albany was destroyed by fire; yea, at that time you will remember the scenes of this day. Treasure them up and forget them not.' President Young followed and said: 'What Brother Woodruff has said is revelation and will be fulfilled.'"

https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine-and-covenants-student-manual/section-81-89/section-84-the-oath-and-covenant-of-the-priesthood?lang=eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 02:30PM by Book of Mordor.

Posted by: librarykim2 ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 02:40PM

My parents used birth control, but I know many who didn't because of the church. Otherwise, the list is pretty accurate based on what I grew up hearing.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 02:46PM

When I was a kid, evil spirits, and protecting angels, were everywhere along the wasatch front. Everywhere.

Or so I was told...

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 03:07PM

Yep. So true.
The 10 lost tribes were endlessly talked about, as to where they might be. Some speculated they were in the bowels of the earth. Others said they were on the top of the earth, hidden in icy mountains. And some believed they were on another earth-like heavenly sphere. Wherever they were, they would bring their own scriptures with them to join the BoM (the two sticks of scriptures at last joined together, in support of each other).

I kind of favored the North (as scriptures said God's people had migrated to the North county).

Posted by: greensmythe ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 03:24PM

Maybe the Lost tribes are the "others" or "white walkers" from game of thrones..

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 03:16PM

Someone in a cub scout (primary) meeting talk about the priesthood they were about to receive and tell them that they would have more power than Kings and Presidents. And CERTAINLY more power than their mother. Seriously!

As to my memory, Coke and Pepsi were always sort of iffy. We would never have "partaken," but it was always controversial. There were some renegade ACTIVE people who argued for it.

And Birth Control! NO! The prophet said that you were supposed to bring as many children into the world as you could. If anyone was practicing birth control (in the 60s), and I'm sure many did, they would never have been open about it. I haven't heard any doctrinal change proclaimed, but believe me, BYU students prolifically practice this nowadays.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 03:18PM

Still taught, perhaps not for long:

If you honestly don't have a testimony, lie and say that you have one anyway. This is not a dishonest thing to do, or to preach.

Taught up until 1990:

You agree to have your throat sliced open and to be disemboweled if you don't keep the Temple secrets.

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 03:32PM

Oh my gawd!!!! That brought back so many memories from being a kid and being taught all those things.

I was taught every single one of those and later when I was married I studied them thoroughly myself. In fact I studied myself right out of the church with many of these very points.

Here is one I didn't see on your list.

If a spirit appears to you all you do is offer to shake hands. If it is an evil spirit it will try to shake your hand because it is all about deciet but if it is a good spirit it won't try to shake your hand. If it is evil all you have to do is raise your right arm to the square and command it to leave in the name of Jesus.

Yep I believed that BS!!!

Posted by: greensmythe ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 03:36PM

My parents were both converts in the mid 1960's and taught EVERY one of these things as truths to us as children in the late 1970's and early 1980's. So these were not just folk doctrines passed down through some kooky mormon families. They were common knowledge amongst the rank and file until recently.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 03:44PM

taught at least til mid 80s - when a baby or kid dies, they will be resurrected as an adult about 18 years old (in their prime, allegedly) and their spirits are adult in the spirit world waiting for the resurrection. A baby only had to take one breath to have experienced an 'independent body'.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 06:58PM

This is still taught. It was a topoc on lasts years Joseph Fielding Smiths manual.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 07:12PM

I just got through the old manuals and Ensigns I have on my moms attic. In my hardcore TBM time I collected those and got boxes full of them, when a Lady from my ward passed. I learned about all of these in the old RS/PH Manuals. The most of them dissappeared until the mid 90's. But the elderly people still bring them up every now and then in RS or Sunday school classes. And when the teacher is someone of my age or younger you can really see how their faces turn pale and they're helpless to answer or react. And then simply say: " I can't imagine that this was doctrin" I often wished so bad that they then would start to research and learn about the truth.
These old teachings helped me to realize that its all bogus.

Date: May 01, 2015 04:17PM

Any righteous woman that doesn't manage to find a husband in this life will be given one in the next life. (still taught) Where it got nutty is who these women were going to marry.

Men who died in battles like World wars, Vietnam, the Civil war etc. I had a friend who said she wanted one of those soldiers in the mormon paintings. Can't blame her, i've only seen one guy in real life that looked like that, and he wasn't a mormon.

From another thred: Satan can't hear your thoughts. He also controls the water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 04:46PM by madalice.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 04:25PM

Darn! I always thought it was LA/going to be swallowed by the ocean !!!

(lifted from reporting of Hindenburg tragedy) OH THE HUMANITY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 04:27PM by GNPE.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 04:47PM

I have noticed the Quakers on the moon has lost priority in the teachings.

Date: May 01, 2015 05:01PM

That was one of my favorites. How can anyone keep a straight face when that one is brought up?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 05:32PM

I can't remember how they explained that one away. Anyone?

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 05:37PM

It was all tongue in cheek, see. A joke. Poking fun at Quakers see. Not in earnest. See?

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 05:51PM

He was speaking as a man, not a prophet...

In Joseph Smith's case, he was speaking as a pervert, not a prophet...

Date: May 01, 2015 05:59PM

I still shake my head when I think about this and all the other absurd things I was taught and I didn't shriek bullsh!t.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 06:01PM

Here's a treatise on the teaching:

http://www.mrm.org/moon-men

Here's the rebuttal:

http://en.fairmormon.org/Joseph_Smith/Moon_inhabited

So....

Date: May 01, 2015 06:09PM

I was taught each and everyone of these items. For them to quietly drop them and then twist the ones that get brought up and use lame apologetics for others...it's gaslighting. It's so frustrating that my TBM family thinks I'VE been deceived!! Quite the other way around.

#12 is my pet peeve. If a string of prophets can deny black men the priesthood and it's just "ooopsee, um...BY was a racist and...well, every one was racist then and we fixed it and it's in the past", why would anyone trust anything out of their mouths?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 07:07PM

I agree. These things were taught. Perhaps these concepts can be documented thereby permitting any one to confront someone denying them with hard evidence.

Growing up, at one time or another, I was taught each of these things.

Anyone who is substantiating these claims should so indicate in the subject line so all of is can combine and use the substantiation.

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 07:12PM

so the "Any righteous woman that doesn't manage to find a husband in this life will be given one in the next life." brings to mind Sheri Dew...Is that what she is hoping on?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 07:16PM

Polynesians came from America and are children of Lehi.

White indians existed alongside brown skinned Indians.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 07:21PM

The only one on the list I wasn't taught was blood atonement. I was taught that Brigham Young was a peaceable man, and he was ever so much misunderstood. Poor Brigs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.