Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:31PM

It's that time of year again when people are thinking of making their yearly donations.

I'm very lucky because my husband has agreed that I can spend half our tithing money on any charity I want.

And it shocks me---it really shocks me--that even though it's only half the tithing amount, I still have so much that I can make some really satisfying gifts.

Each year I give $1000 to Doctors without Borders.
I still have more left for several organizations--so much so that the donation often puts me in their highest group of donors.

This year I bought a lifetime membership in one of the country's living museums--a place where people reenact life in historical times--one of the places where people, especially children, can go to see living history.

That still hasn't used up all the tithing money I would have spent.

Next year I'm considering setting up a scholarship fund. I might have to take two or three years of my tithing donation to support this, since the scholarship will come from the earnings on the fund.

I can't tell you the satisfaction I'm getting from this. It's one of the benefits of leaving the church. No longer do I have to donate to the building of unattractive temples where only a few people are allowed to attend. No longer do I have to help purchase textbooks and binders and red pencils for seminary teenagers. No longer do I have to support the mission training center where so many young men and women have been damaged in ways they may never recognize or understand. No longer am I helping to buy the large maple tables in high council rooms all over the world.

We are a middle class family---and still we have enough that I can get great satisfaction from the money I give. You don't realize how much money you are sending to the church when you just put that 10% in the envelope every month---year after year.

I've totaled it before, and it's rather shocking. Very shocking!

And, I know, I know. I've heard the scolding about how ashamed I should be that I'm spending "God's Money." I'm sorry, but I think that if there's a god out there, I'm doing a better job of spending his money than the leaders of the mormon church are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:42PM

Oh to be in the middle class. when half the nation is on some form of welfare, how can they even consider tithing or donating to any charity whatsoever? But the church doesn't recognize the poor. In fact the poor don't even believe or go to church it's all too irrelevant and worthless.

Date: May 01, 2015 03:10PM

I'm certainly not bragging about how much money we have.
I was posting this to show how much normal people pay to the church.
And, say, we were making $40,000 a year which is middle class, that would be $4,000 tithing, of which I would get to spend $2,000. Would you rather that go to Doctors without Borders or the church.

My only point was how nice it is to be able to give money to something I support.

If I didn't give it there, my husband would give it to the church.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 03:12PM

I agree. When we donate we should be able to choose what we think is worthwhile. If a member gives to cojcolds then it's expected that a large portion is going to fund commercial building projects, executive salaries for new business ventures, cougar football, stock investments, etc. All of which does nothing to help those in need. But a few select business men and their relatives do make a lot of money from this money laundering.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:45PM

You can donate to me. I'm always in need of donated money. I'll make sure it used for something that helps me. The benefit will be seen through posterity.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 06:57PM

I think that's really lovely. There are so many worthwhile organizations that could use the money. It's putting good karma out into the universe.

Posted by: sassenach ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 06:21PM

My spouse and I came to a similar agreement. I thought of tithing as a self-serving scam for TSCC to fund itself. There was little significant charitable service rendered from TSCC coffers. Most charity claimed by TSCC is the sum value of labor and material goods coerced from kindhearted members... on top of their tithing donations!

For years, I gave monetary contributions to several natural disaster relief funds, doctors without borders, self-sufficiency food and water charities, micro-loan business charities, etc. I also donated hours upon hours of my time to several local charities.

It wasn't until my spouse and children finally left the TSCC that my charitable contributions turned more to family. I paid for my kids' college educations. I helped my children buy their homes, I helped close relatives through tough financial situations.

Now I want to save it all to spend on ourselves to set up, maintain, and enjoy a future retirement in the lifestyle in which I have become accustomed. It's time for me to be selfish.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 09:58PM

Good for you. I'm glad you're helping others and finding joy in the helping.

I think one of the worst things about tithing is that it's so much money that Mormons often don't have funds left over to donate to causes that are important to them. Mormons are being robbed not only of their money, but also of that great feeling that you get when you are able to help others. Dumping your money into the black hole of LDS tithing just doesn't give you the same feeling of satisfaction.

Date: May 02, 2015 11:04PM

was earnestly searching for different ways to give his money to the church. This fund, That fund...(There are so many.)
I tried to talk him into searching out something he was interested in and feel the joy of seeing your money at work, actually helping someone. But he thought he had to give it to the church. They knew better what was needed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.