Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 08:48PM

http://radiowest.kuer.org/post/age-and-leadership-lds-church

This is a podcast dealing with the issue of age and leadership in the LDS church. They are referring to the ability to lead the church in an advanced age.

I just listened to this and this was said when talking about when the prophet is incapacitated. At about 10:29,Bushman makes a comment about how it's ok to have an incapacitated prophet because..."there were no unique powers held by the president of the church, he was the designated spokesman, but he was not the only recipient of revelation." This is a HUGE problem to me. On my mission I taught the prophet was THE man on the earth that was THE man on earth to get revelation for the church. Now we are told...that he is no different than any of the other brethren, he just happens to be the spokesman at that moment in time...sort of like a press secretary.

WTHell lies did I tell everyone is Scotland and to MYSELF?????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 09:07PM

Playing Devil's advocate here:

I think he meant God has the ability to transfer his revelation to the first presidency. It's well known they are all said to be revelators.

The bigger issue I think is this idea that "God will kill the Prophet when it's his time to go." Alzheimer's and Dementia seems a poor choice to kill his Prophet if he's actually leading it all.

Date: April 30, 2015 09:21PM

...is that I had it DRILLED into me that Joe Smith was THE PROPHET and the only one who could receive revelation for the church. Period. Period. Period.

So now..."THE PROPHET"...is now more like..."the prophet"...or rather..."one of many prophets who can do the same job"...is really not the same thing.

If you had heard the never ending meetings on how JS was THE PROPHET and all others after were the SAME...this all just seems disingenuous.

D&C 43:1-7

1 O hearken, ye elders of my church, and give ear to the words which I shall speak unto you.

2 For behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, that ye have received a commandment for a law unto my church, through him whom I have appointed unto you to receive commandments and revelations from my hand.

3 And this ye shall know assuredly—that there is none other appointed unto you to receive commandments and revelations until he be taken, if he abide in me.

4 But verily, verily, I say unto you, that none else shall be appointed unto this gift except it be through him; for if it be taken from him he shall not have power except to appoint another in his stead.

5 And this shall be a law unto you, that ye receive not the teachings of any that shall come before you as revelations or commandments;

6 And this I give unto you that you may not be deceived, that you may know they are not of me.

7 For verily I say unto you, that he that is ordained of me shall come in at the gate and be ordained as I have told you before, to teach those revelations which you have received and shall receive through him whom I have appointed.

Also D&C 28:7

2 But, behold, verily, verily, I say unto thee, no one shall be appointed to receive commandments and revelations in this church excepting my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., for he receiveth them even as Moses.

Clearly, all my life and on my mission...it is ONLY "THE PROPHET" that receives revelation for the church...period. Not the entire 15...this is what pissed off Oliver C to begin with!

Date: April 30, 2015 09:22PM

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 10:25PM

I was always taught the 15 were all prophets and apostles, that the terms were basically interchangeable. The only slight difference is that each apostle holds different keys, but the prophet is the only one that holds ALL the keys. All nonsense anyway, though.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 10:38PM

Lori C Wrote:
>
> WTHell lies did I tell everyone is Scotland and to
> MYSELF?????

You lied to my people? Bastard!

Luckily we forgive you. Come back and visit and partake in our fine whisky

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 10:42PM

"Bushman just said that the prophet holds no unique powers..."

For once I agree with Bushman.

Same goes for all Penishood Holders.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 10:43PM

The profit is supreme and the mouthpiece of God except when he cannot be or isn't. Does that clear things up? :')

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:17PM

I quit believing in mormon prophets after I was told that god would take the prophet's life rather than let the prophet lead the church members astray. Then the prophets taught us a bunch of crap that is obviously wrong and harmful. Over the years, the word prophet became more profit. That's what the church is all about now.

Posted by: cpete ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:19PM

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:24PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigham_Young,_Jr.

I thought we could only have 12 apostles at one time. That's why the 12 Nephites were called the 12 Disciples, because the apostles were in Israel.

Another false teaching? Or was B.Y. overstepping his authority.

in the Wikipedia entry it says, "Brigham Young, Sr. ordained three of his sons, Brigham Young, Jr., Joseph Angell Young and John Willard Young, as apostles in 1864, without public announcement or adding them to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.[1]

Unlike his bothers, Brigham Young, Jr would later become part of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles four years later in 1868, after the death of Heber C. Kimball and George A. Smith joining the First Presidency"

Posted by: sue ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:53AM

You remember it right. It was drilled into me and my contemporaries over and over that only ONE man, as the Prophet for the whole world, could speak for God. Just another one of the slowly turning changes that have happened with church doctrine -- if anyone besides Bushman says this. I think that Richard Bushman cannot not help being a very confused man at times. I've never understood the inner battle that must go on in his mind and heart sometimes.

Date: May 01, 2015 01:12AM

Posted by: elbert ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 01:43AM

This statement from Bushman ("not only recipient of revelation"; "a spokesman for God") reminds me of JS explaining the reason for failure to find the treasure: the vault keeps going down/sinking. Thus glossing over the truth to make inconsistencies more palatable to feed the believer. This kills all notions of what an lds prophet should be, not to mention Benson's directive re-the prophet (14 points).

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 02:13AM

Welcome to the MORmON world of Quantum MORmON doctUrine, where something can be both of two contradictory ways at the same time.
The MORmONISM is full of this stuff BUT you were not supposed to notice, or, you were supposed to feel that if proves that MORmONISM is truly miraculous.

Posted by: cpete ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 02:16AM

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 03:00AM

But the mouthpiece just says blah blah mumble mumble um, here is a story from my youth blah blah blah...

A prophet tells the WORLD what's happening.

Mormon profits don't know, or care.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 03:01AM by moremany.

Date: May 01, 2015 03:40AM

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 04:28AM

Will that be made official at the next genconf?

Until that happens, what Bushman and other apologists claim is irrelevant.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.