Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: James E Faust ( )
Date: April 28, 2015 08:46AM

Do all the apostles and 1rs presidency have a bodyguard with them at all times?If not,then what happens when a threat arises?Do church security have a connection with an alarm at the private houses of the top 15 leaders?What about the members of the seventy?

Does Thomas Monson have a car as secure as a US president to withstand gunfire?Do all apostles have a personal driver or do they drive cars themselves?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 28, 2015 09:06AM

one of the first principles of a protective effort is that you Don't disclose what security measures are in place.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: April 28, 2015 09:22AM

I lived in the same neighborhood as the Hinckley family home. I think it is still owned by a granddaughter. Next door is a small orchard. While out on a walk I saw Hinckley in his orchard. This is when he was president. He was dressed coveralls. In front of the property was a small, white "limo" with a single body guard/chauffeur in a suit. Compared to the car that Kimball rode in, the limo was quite modest. As for the body guards, Kimball had several.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2015 09:23AM by Now a Gentile.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 09:53AM

Now a Gentile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Compared to the car that Kimball rode in,
> the limo was quite modest. As for the body guards,
> Kimball had several.

Kimball liked to be surrounded by men?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 04:50PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now a Gentile Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Compared to the car that Kimball rode in,
> > the limo was quite modest. As for the body
> guards,
> > Kimball had several.
>
> Kimball liked to be surrounded by men?

Kimball served on the irrigation board in AZ and made the big decision which farmers got water and which ones didn't.

Needless to say he pissed off a lot of people before becoming a GA.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 03, 2015 11:41AM

Ah, I see.

Posted by: James Faust ( )
Date: April 28, 2015 11:50PM

What do you people know about security arrangements regardless of disclosing secrets?

Posted by: ohdeargoodness ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 12:03AM

Why do you need to know?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 12:06AM

We know of the existence of the $900,000 Audi armored vehicle that Tommy Monson uses to go Costco to stock up on Pepsi.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 12:23AM

Whatever it is now, there was certainly none in the 1950's. I often saw GA's around Salt Lake, and most of them spoke at our stake conferences at one time or another. David O. McKay sat directly behind us at a baptismal service and anyone off the street could freely walk into semi-annual conference as well as the church office building.

It would have been quite easy for anyone to kill any of the GA's had they really wanted to. It wasn't until the assassination of President Kennedy that people really thought much about security. The fact is that when Barry Goldwater was the Republican nominee (after JFK's death) a Pinkerton security detail was purchased for him by the party since the Secret Service at that time only protected the President. An even then, at the Salt Lake airport, Goldwater became separated from the detail and I was able to walk right up and stake his hand when no one else was around.

Posted by: Cowboy Jack ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 03:58PM

I was a friend of the McKay family in the 90s and they would often talk about David O. as a dad and grandpa. My information is second hand, but seemed reliable.

In one such kitchen table chat they mentioned that while he was President he used a church provided plymouth or dodge. I think they said it was black in color. I was told that he was a wild driver and accustomed to driving himself from his Huntsville ranch to SLC for work.

Two funny stories about McKay and the car were told; one, when he was speeding to SLC he was pulled over by a Utah Highway Patrol. When the trooper saw who the driver was, he tried to just give him a warning and send him on his way, but President McKay insisted he do his job and give him a ticket.

The second story sounds a little like an church urban legend, but I was told that he was washing his car at his Huntsville place on a Sunday. A TBM sister neighbor saw him, and came over to chastise him for breaking the sabbath. According to the family he said it was the Lord's car, and he was getting it ready to take to work the next day.

Nothing was noted by the family as to whether he continued to wash the car or whether the pesky sister just went away, but the message about McKay was that he was just a regular guy getting along like the rest of us.

Posted by: James E Faust ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 03:00AM

I am curious to know how seriously the church regards security or threats to LS top leaders.

They know the church has enemies their religion is controversial.I live outsider the USA and am not planning some murder of LDs leaders.

Posted by: Happy visitor ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 09:12AM

They take threats very seriously and report them to legal authorities.

With you asking these questions, it makes one think you have violent intent. Don't do this. Religious differences aside, there's no place for this. Get some psychological help.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 04:26PM

We had a regional conference in our town in the 80's with keynote speaker Howard Hunter.
A bunch of us were assigned to "security" which meant stand around the exits, keep your eyes open and looking around during prayers, etc.
I don't recall any church security detail although someone must have told us what to do.
I had a seat front row center and my job was to jump up and take the bullet for Hunter. At first I thought yeah! As the meeting went on I had time to think about it and thought well... maybe.

Posted by: lastofthewine ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 04:37PM

I like juicy gossip as much as the next person but I see this topic as nobodies business and off limits.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 04:40PM

OK, maybe a security detail can save their miserable rotten lives, but how do they salvage their shattered dignity from being affiliated with MORmONISM ? Oh, that's right! by building an unnecessary extremely extravagant mall, by hiring a Jewish PR consulting firm to help boost their image, by continuing to pump out MORmON promotional propaganda at an industrial level, and by bearing their phony MORmON testimonies as an indirect statement of how important they supposedly are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDhAIjF0wQI

Posted by: Aussieblokesarebest ( )
Date: April 29, 2015 08:10PM

As a former soldier, I did security jobs in a number of countries around the world to pay my way through medical school. I know what I'm talking anout here.

Firstly, any security professional is just that - a higjly trained professional who will do their job of asset protection to the highest level. As a hired professional, they would not really care too much about the morality or ethics of the asset they are paid to protect. Of course you have guys like the Swiss gaurd who are devotee's of their protectee (the pope) - they are still utterly professional and effective at their job.

Either way, any organisation will seek to appropriatley protect itself from real and perceived threats and TSCC is in no way different than any other corporation/organisation. In fact, they are perfectly entitled to self-protect, as we all are.

Secondly, enquiries into the security arrangements of any organisation or individual WILL be regarded as a threat by those charged with security. The assumption will be that your interest in security arrangements would be to identify a weakness to exploit. Try going into your local bank and see what happens if you start to ask them anout security arrangements!

The OP's interest may well be one of benign curiosity, but the security team protecting the higher echelons will assume otherwise. You should also assume that sites such as this are monitored by TSCC (hello chaps). I know what I would have done when I was working personal protection jobs, but I don't know what Tommy's boys will do.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 03:18PM

Just watch the GodFather 1972. There's body gaurds around, all the time. I love that movie!

"my father is an important man, he's no different than other powerful men like senators and governors." Mikey Corleone

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 05:19PM

There was a story several years ago about layoffs of bodyguards. Each of the 15 had their own, but they cut the 12 back to 'when needed'.

Who knows. They certainly aren't relying on God's protection.

Posted by: Facts and More Facts ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 05:19PM

Why are you asking us? Call them yourself and find out.

Here's the number of their 24/7 operations center: 801-240-2661

Here's the number for the director of personal protection (perhaps bodyguards, etc. for the Q15): 801-240-7097

And here's the number for the director of protective operations (perhaps the people who handle security arrangements when the Q15 travel): 801-240-1955

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.