Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmogal ( )
Date: April 26, 2015 06:04PM

How is it that a few of the so called Mormon royalty were members of a fraternity at U of U - like Huntsman Senior, who became a GA, his son Jo, a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity, and the late Stephen Covey?

I am trying to picture an active Mormon participating in a university fraternity. Esp. Covey and Huntsman Sr. Does not compute!!!

Unless (shudder) they were secretly party animals, and Mormons in name only - kinda like Jon Jr.????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BG not logged in. ( )
Date: April 26, 2015 06:12PM

back in the day.

Both my aunt and my mom were U of U sorority sisters, my uncle was in a frat; trust me I don't think there was a lot of wild partying going on at least until the late 70s, I went to a different school, and I knew friends at U of U, it was pretty dull.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 26, 2015 06:14PM

I was one of those naïve Mormons who believed that Mormons shouldn't join Fraternities (or Sororities); just like they shouldn't join Masons, Oddfellows, or even Elks Lodges. The whole "Secret Oaths and Covenants" thing; also the reputation of Frats and Lodges have of being nothing but party places and buds.

Then in 2012 a well known Rep Mormon ran for Pres. Seems he belonged to Phi Kappa Sigma at Stanford University. So I being against him, decided to search for LDS positions and writings against Frats... Ha! Was I wrong. In fact LDS Corp has its own Fraternities and Sororities.
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1986/09/the-lds-greeks-lambda-delta-sigma-and-sigma-gamma-chi?lang=eng

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:01PM

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 02:11PM

moose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

...or, a Moose, I reckon...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 01:26PM

Wow, the memory bank this post blew open...!!

I learned how to spin a penny from the quarter slot of a pay phone so that it would bounce into the dime slot, and you could make your call, but then when the phone company guy came, all hell broke loose in the frat house...

Yep, I pledged Sigma Pi in the fall of 1962 at the U of U. It was a PG rated version of Animal House, I kid you not. We burned coal in our fire place that we stole from the central boiler building on campus. I got to put five rounds through a Thompson submachine gun in the Navy ROTC building's basement firing range. Our house was on Federal Way. Tri Lamda sorority was next door, Sigma Nu was across the street and ADPi was kitty corner.

I never even considered finding out what ward I was in. I got a bit tipsy one time, on Seagram's & 7 up, and decided that drinking to excess was not for me.

Words cannot adequately express what a complete social loser I was. Sigma Pi was on probation and they had to be so, so desperate to have extended me a pledge invitation; no one else did... Thank ghawd my love for myself has never gone unrequited.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 04:33PM

I didn't even realize Stephen Covey died until reading this post. Am going through old books on my bookshelves, and donating his to the local Goodwill.

It says on Wiki, he left only one son/child. For some reason, I pictured him having more children than that.

He was *only* 80 years old at the time of his death. Somehow I thought people like Covey didn't grow old, maybe because his books will live on. He was like a "Norman Vincent Peale" for Mormondom.

:)

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 04:42PM

I have TBM friends that were in fraternities at the U...within the last 10 years. From the stories they tell, it sounds like they're still lame...full of RMs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.