Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 03:49PM

http://imgur.com/a/JE3gr

Narcissists react with rage when called out on their actions.

Thread closed. I'm still baffled by this.

This is one of the strangest things I've seen on the Internet - and a perfect example of an entitlement issue, in my view. What is going on with that woman?? Does her husband have a job? Or is he on some scholarship so he can study. And why Kenya?
Does she have a job? Do they have savings?

My question is Why does she think she can set up a go fund account... to get people to help her get a a computer?? All the while claiming she hates to do it...

I've see people with real, honest to goodness needs set up a gofund account and sometimes I'm willing to contribute a few bucks as it's someone I know who needs a little medical financial help.

But. for a computer???Who does that? Of all the nerve. And people fall for it?
Really, this is about a computer? I don't think so. Just my opinion, but I have serious concerns about her on many levels.
Sounds like this is about her need for attention and to keep her face out there.

I just find the whole thing extremely disturbing. But that's just my opinion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 03:58PM

In the last few months we have had two horrible cases where people were raising money for medical expenses. One was using stolen pics of a child in the hospital and the other was making her child sick so she could get money. This is exactly why Eric does not want sites like that USING his board.

And it was not just for A computer. It is for a top of the line very very expensive $1500 top of the line laptop when a $300 system would have filled the need just fine.
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-air

After trolls like Kitty Litter have said for years not to trust Eric and I because we were just trying to make money off the community this new trend of people with their hands out hurts US ALL. We all get tarred with the same brush.

Date: April 24, 2015 04:02PM

Susan I/S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I know there are many scams out there.
I ONLY contribute if I check out the situation, confirm the people and make sure it is someone I know personally. Never strangers! Even then, I only contribute a very small amount of money.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 04:05PM

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 04:10PM

My computer cost 300 dollars and is perfectly fine. What does her computer do that mine doesnt? Just curious.

Date: April 24, 2015 04:15PM

bona dea unregistered Wrote:
> My computer cost 300 dollars and is perfectly
> fine. What does her computer do that mine doesnt?
> Just curious.

I'm having trouble with her costs also. Maybe she thinks she is entitled to a top of the line MAC??? One of these maybe? http://store.apple.com/us/mac

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 04:16PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: April 24, 2015 04:21PM

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-air

And at $1500 it would have to be THE top one. The $900 one wasn't good enough for her I guess. If you scroll down it goes through the functions. It is a very very nice system. Complete overkill and certainly not NEEDED. And note she still seems to have plenty of net access that works just fine to shop and ask for money.

Date: April 24, 2015 04:22PM

Susan I/S Wrote:

Oh ya.. .I saw that also... but I just thought she ought to be satisfied with the Notebook! :-)

This worked so well for her, maybe she'll let us know when she NEEDS a new car....:-)

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 04:33PM

Just bought an Air (yes, top of the line) for my partner as her first Apple and she curses that she didn't go Mac a long time ago. Once you use a Mac you can't imagine ever having to use another system again. Maybe Kelly's previous computer was a Mac?

Still doesn't justify asking other people to pay for a new one.

If I had more, I'd send you two Susans and bona dea a new Air today. I would! In fact, if I win the lottery tonight dagnamit I will. Definitely.

You get what you pay for; and apparently for some what you beg for.

Human

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 04:22PM

A woman who was my foster sister when we were kids cancer came back. She set up a Go Fund account, and trying to raise several thousand. Didn't mind helping her out with what little I was able to. Whatever little bit she's raised I feel is going to a good cause.

Someone like a well-known celebrity wanting to raise money for a new computer? I don't get it. She has many connections, and I thought she had paid endorsements. Guess that's wrong. She should try and get a paid endorsement with a computer company; that'll cover her computer, and get the company lots of free publicity. Gosh Kate, she could've thought of that before taking the hits from her critics. And everyone's a critic when it concerns money.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 04:25PM

Anyone can set up a Go Fund Me, for ANY reason at all.

That's the fun of it. You can set one up to be a prank, and as long as you aren't hurting anyone, it's legal.

Retirement fund, creative fund, fun fund, computer for KK fund.

Ah, the possibilities are endless ....

What I'd like is a sugar daddy to support me in the manner I'd like to get accustomed to.

Hasn't happened yet .. I have to work like all the rest. :P

Date: April 24, 2015 04:28PM

amyjo Wrote:
> Anyone can set up a Go Fund Me, for ANY reason at
> all.
>
Exactly. And, unfortunately, people will fall for the scams and hoaxes also.

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 04:33PM

I was going to stop when the thread closed, but since it's continued...

Cristina Wrote:

> She's not in Kenya to do human rights work. She's
> there because her husband is getting a PhD in
> anthropology and they are spending a year (or two,
> I forget) in Kenya for his PhD. She claims to work
> as a human rights lawyer wherever she lives (has
> relocated several times) but is not in Kenya for
> her work.

> Her husband and she explained their move to Kenya
> for his PhD on Mormon Stories.

She's in Kenya because of her husband's school. While she's there, she's doing human rights work. Okay.

> Her work as a human rights lawyer is overplayed,
> if you ask me. I have yet to see proof of anything
> she's actually done other than workshops or
> seminars.

> I heard her make comments about a woman she
> claimed to help from Cuba that misrepresented what
> is allowed in Cuba so that it made me wonder. Her
> work is very vague, and involves no sacrifices
> that I have ever observed.

If you get your information from Deseret News, then I understand that you're not quite sure what she does.

Have you ever looked for evidence or proof of what she does? If you haven't, of course you haven't seen any. It's been less than 3 years since her graduation, and she's already got a respectable list of accomplishments.

Currently, she's the legal advisor for a sexual violence accountability project focused specifically on Somalian security forces.

Here's a report, by Human Rights Watch, on the problem, "The Power these Men have Over Us: Sexual Exploitation and Abuse by African Union Forces in Somalia". It's many dozens of pages, but you can skim through it.

Description of the report:
"This report is based on research in Somalia, Uganda, and Burundi. Its findings are based on 50 interviews including 21 interviews with survivors of sexual exploitation and abuse as well as interviews with witnesses, foreign observers including officials from troop-contributing countries, and other military personnel. The research documents incidents of sexual exploitation and abuse in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, predominantly by personnel of the Ugandan People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) at and around AMISOM’s headquarters, the AMISOM base camp, and at the camp of the Burundian National Defense forces (BNDF) contingent in Mogadishu. All of the incidents documented in this report occurred since 2013."

How does Kate Kelly tie into this? According to her NGO, the project for which she is legal advisor is:
Holding discussions with the Somali government, AMISOM, relevant UN bodies and international donors to ensure all the actors understand the applicable laws and context and instill ownership of the process of addressing these abuses within each group;

Preparing a comprehensive brief on the legal responsibility and accountability of the Somali government, AMISOM, relevant UN bodies and international donors that will provide a detailed explanation of the applicable legal framework as well as a complete set of recommendations for the actors;

Identifying and implementing key recommendations with stakeholders to address legal responsibility and accountability in addressing sexual violence in Somalia;

Organizing a high level panel discussion with stakeholders as part of year 2014, ‘16days’ of Activism against Gender Based Violence Campaign’ aimed at enhancing mechanisms for access to justice within AMISOM.

Why the fuck are people questioning the legitimacy of her human rights work? Do they think she should be doing something more profitable for herself? Do they think African women don't matter? Or is she just too uppity for them?

Date: April 24, 2015 04:36PM

ⅽupcakelicker Wrote:
Thank you for that info.
I question everything until I get valid info.
What I don't "get" is your attitude.

I'm looking for the info you posted. Do you have a link?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 04:39PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: April 24, 2015 05:03PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
> ⅽupcakelicker Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> Thank you for that info.
> I question everything until I get valid info.
> What I don't "get" is your attitude.
>
> I'm looking for the info you posted. Do you have a
> link?

Describing her role at the NGO:

http://legalactionworldwide.org/team/

Describing the sexual violence accountability project in which she's the legal advisor:

http://legalactionworldwide.org/accountability-project/

Describing the source of my attitude, here's a quote from "Here Rape is Normal: A Five-Point Plan to Curtail Sexual Violence in Somalia" from Human Rights Watch:

http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/somalia0214_ForUpload.pdf

"... The four men all raped me one by one while one of them stood guard outside. I was struggling with the last man and he stabbed me with the bayonet on his gun. I was screaming and no one came out to help."

She went to the police and reported that one of the rapists was wearing a police uniform. At that moment, she started to bleed heavily from her vagina.

"They told me to go home and wash off the blood. But before they let me go, they told me I had to wash the floor where I was bleeding. I sat down, they gave me a brush and I cleaned the floor."

She was 5 months pregnant.

I've avoided quoting from the reports until now because the details are shocking, but some people's disconnection from reality has pissed me off. Kate Kelly's engaged in a very noble cause. What are her criticizers doing?

ZOMG Kate Kelly Wants A MacBook Air!! How Selfish!! She's Abusing Her Fame!! She's Not Really A Feminist!!

Date: April 24, 2015 05:05PM

Again, a $300 system would have worked just as well. And tarring all of us that have worked DECADES with the same greedy brush.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 05:06PM by Susan I/S.

Date: April 24, 2015 04:51PM

The point is she didn't NEED a top of the line $1500 box. Period. She could have done just fine, as with many of us, with a $300 system that SHE could AFFORD.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 05:53PM

Even I could not make do with a $300 machine.
The cheapest I can find for a decent laptop/notebook is maybe $500 on sale at NewEgg. I don't know where y'all are getting $300 for a computer.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 04:59PM

I don't read Deseret News, but thanks for trying to demean my critique by trying to associate me with something I am not associated with.

Yes, Kate makes these claims. Anyone can claim anything on their resume. I am questioning because I don't see original sources or actual facts, not colored by self promotion and PR.

I'm a lawyer too. I will question no matter how much it offends her fanatics. At this point, even many of her formerly close supporters are so disturbed by her many strange actions and rants and misrepresentations that they are fading. They will not at least defend her unconditionally, even if they continue to support ORdain Women. But they are making the distinction and are torn. She behaves like a cult personality. The ones who defend her uconditionally despite her increasingly bizare behavior are acting like fanatics, fans of her as a person.

Date: April 24, 2015 05:03PM

after showing this kind of fiscal irresponsibility and her putting her hand out for a top of the line I would never donate to anything she had a hand in. And if she was drunk when she posted that all I can say is - In vino veritas.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 05:19PM

Susan I/S Wrote:
> In vino veritas.

Never heard that one before but I love it.

Posted by: The Navidson Record ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 04:42PM

I find the whole thing sad.
It seems like she's really hurting.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 04:45PM

I have serious concerns about her too. Look at this incident where her mother, Donna Kelly, as a prosecutor, sent an anonymous fax from a Fed Ex store (to avoid it being traced to her own fax machine) to court commissioners calling public defenders monkeys. http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53226631-78/somoza-county-letter-defenders.html.csp

When the surveillance video proved it was her, she just denied being the author, claiming not to know who wrote it, and that she only faxed it. But the derogatory comments in the letter are siilar to the kinds of derogatory comments Kate routinely makes about people. And I don't buy the story given by Donna that she would fax a letter given to her by some anonymous person accusing defense attorneys of not being competent. It's not credible on so many levels, including the fact that she had a motive as defense attorneys are a thorn on the side of prosecutors.

I think Kate is also very dishonest. If you've followed the story of her excommunication, she publicly claimed that her Virginia bishop blindsided her with a summons to a church court after she had already moved to Utah. The bishop, however, claimed he had met with her and she then avoided him for months despite calls and visits to her house and attempts to meet with her again. (There's even a post online by someone who claims personal knowledge that she escaped out the back door when he knocked on the front door.)

I actually believe him that she avoided service (all lawyers know that trick) and then played the "I slipped outside your jurisdiction and you're victimizing me cause I cannot come back for the trial" trick that you see everyday in court cases. Whether the church should excommunicate people is a separate issue. But this woman has no credibility.

Date: April 24, 2015 05:00PM

Cristina Wrote:
Thanks for the additional info. I know I can depend on you for reliable info.
It confirms my sense of the whole situation.

Date: April 24, 2015 05:08PM

Carol Wrote:
> n/t

I was thinking the same thing.
Also, I think "Ordain Women" is part of an overall plan of Katy Kelly's to use with her work for women's rights.
My opinion is that she had to know it wouldn't work and would result in her excommunication. A good lawyer would know what the consequences are from the get-go.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 04:54PM

I can't compliment you enough.

Posted by: BaldMan ( )
Date: April 24, 2015 05:24PM

Here's my question about Ms. Kelly. Is she actually licensed to practice law in a United States jurisdiction? I have searched the attorney disciplinary websites for Utah, Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland, and California (the states where I thought it was most likely she would be licensed), under both her maiden name and her husband's last name and have not found her listed as an attorney with an active law license. These websites provide this information so the public can look up the status of attorneys licensed in the jurisdiction. I used the spelling and names listed on the church disciplinary documents Ordain Women released.

Date: April 24, 2015 05:28PM

BaldMan Wrote:

Good question and I appreciate your research.
I did find a short review of some of her work.
Here: Scroll down
http://legalactionworldwide.org/team/
(white space added for ease in reading.)
Kate Kelly is Legal Advisor at LAW and takes the lead on LAW’s work addressing sexual violence in Somalia as well as strategic casework for the Horn of Africa.

Kelly graduated cum laude with a Juris Doctor (J.D.) from American University Washington College of Law, the only law school in the world founded by, and for, women.

At American University she received the Peter M. Cicchino Award for Outstanding Advocacy in the Public Interest, the school’s top honor in public interest law.

She worked previously as an Ella Baker Fellow at the Center for Constitutional Rights in New York City; a law clerk at the Inter-American Court of Human Rights in San Jose Costa Rica; a research assistant to the Chair of the United Nations Committee Against Torture in Geneva, Switzerland; a post-grad fellow at the Women’s Refugee Commission and as an attorney at the RFK Center for Justice & Human Rights in Washington, D.C. Kelly is a member of the District of Colombia Bar.

So it appears she is the member of the bar... in the Dist. of Columbia.

BaldMan: you can check that out! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 05:29PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: April 24, 2015 05:27PM

If Legal Action Worldwide had posted a plea for money for a Macbook Air for their legal advisor, without naming names, would there be this level of scorn?

If a person who wasn't Kate Kelly had posted the same, would there be this level of scorn?

If it was Kate Kelly, but she'd never been involved with Ordain Women, would there be this level of scorn?

This isn't about the laptop, this is about people's dislike of her and OW, which is almost as strong in the exmo community as in the cult. It's even devolved into attacks on her mother, and "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree".

My position is that someone engaged in her current cause shouldn't have to think about computer issues, worry about learning a new OS and office suite, learn how to change the format of all of her files, remove viruses, tweak registries to disable malware, etc. All these are a distraction from her real work. A new Macbook Air, reliable, portable, and with a superb warranty, is the best tool for the job, and the cost is trivial in comparison with the value of the work she's doing.

I'm done with this topic. Have fun.

Date: April 24, 2015 05:33PM

We are sharing our opinions.
Some are a little miffed by the whole thing, others are outraged, some don't care and everything in between.
Remember, she is fair game for discussion as she is the face of "Ordain Women" and she is going to be under a microscope.

I will maintain my concerns.
As a woman I want to be able to respect what other women do and not be embarrassed by their behavior and actions.

Date: April 24, 2015 05:54PM

Just like all the rest of us. If SHE doesn't want to SHE needs to get something SHE can afford. This has nothing to do with her personally for most of us or the fact that she is a woman or anything else. It is that SHE wanted a bran new top of the line and stretched out her hand to the community for it. She could have gotten the same format, the same OS for a lot less.

"My position is that someone engaged in her current cause shouldn't have to think about computer issues, worry about learning a new OS and office suite, learn how to change the format of all of her files, remove viruses, tweak registries to disable malware, etc."

Date: April 24, 2015 05:39PM

Here is a little more info about her and her background. She has been into activism ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Kelly_%28feminist%29

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.