Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 06:28PM

Today, the bishop, stake president, and membership department received my exit letter.

A little bit of background, I used to say that I didn't want to hurt my TBM wife by removing my name because I knew it would probably be a fatal blow to my marriage. Well, guess what? I found out that my 17 year old TBM son submitted his mission papers a couple of weeks ago and is awaiting his "call." Neither my son nor wife bothered to tell me he was submitting his papers.

I had assumed he would go after he turned 18, but apparently TSCC likes to get them younger and younger. So, probably within a week of his 18 BD (in a couple of months)— away he goes.

I love my son, but hate the deception in my marriage. But all is fair when following the dictates of the cult. Isn't it? The Boner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moose ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 06:39PM

Congrats on the exit and best wishes on the rest!

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 06:50PM

It's okay when they do deceptive things behind your back..."Because it's for a righteous purpose and eternal salvation." But hell and damnation will reign if you do something similar for your own piece of mind. I hope somehow they see the "light" (bulb) and realize that family comes before religion.

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 04:44AM

Exactly!!
There is definitely an attitude of "you respect me, but I don't have to respect you."

It really sucks!

Congrats to the Boner!!!!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 06:51PM

Man, that's way ballsy! It's a darn shame that where the church is involved, doing normal, rational things requires cojones. I wish you the best possible outcome.

I don't know if you can manage it, but here are two threads from another exmo site with interesting information about the mission experience, stuff he's not likely heard:

"Best Apostate Mission Moments"
http://www.postmormon.org/exp_e/index.php/discussions/viewthread/18763/

"Mission Presidents from Hell"
http://www.postmormon.org/exp_e/index.php/discussions/viewthread/26983/

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 07:43PM

"I was really lucky in that both my MPs were actually mature kind souls. I enjoyed my mission and even as an ex-mo I still look back with fond memories. I have one story about two missionaries who decided to go to Singapore from Port Headland Western Australia. They falsified their stats and told their landlady to send one letter a week to the Mission Office. They took of for Singapore and while they were gone the landlady heard there was going to be a postal strike. She mailed both letters at once and of course the missionaries were busted. Still, they weren't sent home. The only people sent home in my tenure were those caught having sex. The humiliation of being "sent home" should be reserved for only the most agregious behavior. The MPs who sent people home in mass sentenced them to a life-long failure experience. Its cruel and they shouldn't do it."

I read this on a thread from the postmormon site you moderate. I've heard the exact same story expect with a group of missionaries in Europe. I think it was in a talk in church maybe.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: April 14, 2015 08:14PM

Woot!! (on being out)
Whoa!! (on the wife and kid)

;o)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 12:25AM

I know it doesn't make it better, but my daughter went back to being TBM about 10 years ago. I just had the sneaking suspicion that she was going to go on a mission. Come to find out, she had even told her dad and didn't tell me. The bishop even told her, "I would bet your mother figures it out." I asked my ex one day about it and he said, "How did you know?"

She ended up not going. Maybe it would have been a deal breaker for her having been inactive and anti from age 10 to 20.

Resigning is one of the best choices I've ever made.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 12:28AM

Congrats Boner!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 01:11AM

Congrats, pal on telling the cult to pound sand. As for your wife and son keeping that from you...well, that's just lowdown and dirty pool...not to mention, immensely disrespectful. You are the courageous one here. Hang in there, buddy...I'm pullin' fer yah!

Ron Burr

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 02:47AM

Congrats! Feel proud of yourself for standing up for truth in a swamp of deceit.

Does your son actually believe, or he wants to please his mom/get a hotter wife upon return?

Sorry you're dealing with all of this stress. Good luck, on your path, however you choose to proceed.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 03:57AM

Congratulations Boner - and keep the posts coming - I'm really looking forward to the thread about the Mormon position on farting :-D

Tom in Paris

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 04:21AM

Boner,

hopefully the mission will be the wakeup moment for your son. He'll meet people that will make him realise that most people think Mormon thinking is baseless nonsense.

He might just come home and join us on here as Bonerjnr.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 04:25AM

Sorry about the deception and about your son. Good luck with that.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 05:42AM

Congratulations on your resignation. Does your son expect you to pay for his mission? Funny how that works.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 08:06AM

Good for you. It is good to read a forum member standing up for what they believe to be right, despite the potential fall out from a TBM spouse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 08:07AM by scotslander.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 09:01AM

Best wishes to you!

And your family. There's still plenty of time to see plenty of surprises. Keep us posted.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 09:11AM

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 10:17AM

Well it's about time you manned up and grew a pair.

Congratulations big guy.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 12:20PM

Thank you all! I needed the support. I know it's just really symbolic as I left about 25 years ago, but I didn't expect to feel anxious about a clerical note. In the words from a song from Chorus Line, "and I dug right get down to the bottom of my soul, and I cried, because I felt nothing." The Boner.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 01:15PM

I think you should have a talk with him and tell him that if he ever feels unsafe, or needs medical attention, not to ask for permission from the mission office, but to seek help. And if he ever regrets his decision to go, that you'll be there for him.

Congratulations on finally taking this step to live your truth!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 16, 2015 02:13AM

HIP HIP HURRAY hiphiphurray Hip Hip Hurray

About son-wife/ phamily :( at the moment. Tomorrow :) maybe.

TMC will screw up a wet dream.
Talk about "outercoarse"!

Too bad Mormonism leads to lies (about what is TRUE and what is NOT), omissions (of facts and facets of life, including hONEsty, [it capitalized it, I didn't], integrity and morality), cover-ups and hidden meanings and agendas, abandonment of otherwise personal principles, neglect of the things you love most or hold dearest, forgetfulness of the importance of the eternal moment (for the "chance" [talk about gambling] at a "future" - after DEATH, or course... live happily after ever, which is a little too late to LIVE - in the "now"), ignorant, homogeneous and practically useless group-think, false-promises and innuendos, fables, myths and superstitions, conspiracy theories (of outer-darkness, temporary squares and gold and green balls) and HYPE.

The BBC _BIG BAD CHURCH_ doesn't believe in, practice teach or allow (most) families communication,

Unconditional love, trust, honor,
Unending delight and supernatural bliss

Lead a FHE - prepare well, but act like you threw it together. Church trivia - with DW, quiz son (to prepare him); see what he knows. Have a computer-books-INsign to look up answers. Just a thought (torture? maybe that's just what they want).

If you don't plant seeds today they won't grow tomorrow.

All you can do is try.

I wish you luck.

M@that

Date: April 16, 2015 02:13AM

Too bad Mormonism leads to lies (about what is TRUE and what is NOT), omissions (of facts and facets of life, including hONEsty, [it capitalized it, I didn't], integrity and morality), cover-ups and hidden meanings and agendas, abandonment of otherwise personal principles, neglect of the things you love most or hold dearest, forgetfulness of the importance of the eternal moment (for the "chance" [talk about gambling] at a "future" - after DEATH, or course... live happily after ever, which is a little too late to LIVE - in the "now"), ignorant, homogeneous and practically useless group-think, false-promises and innuendos, fables, myths and superstitions, conspiracy theories (of outer-darkness, temporary squares and gold and green balls) and HYPE.

The BBC _BIG BAD CHURCH_ doesn't believe in, practice teach or allow (most) families communication,

Lead a FHE - prepare well, but act like you threw it together. Church trivia - with DW, quiz son (to prepare him); see what he knows. Have a computer-books-INsign to look up answers. Just a thought (torture? maybe that's just what they want).

All you can do is try.

I wish you luck.

M@th

Date: April 16, 2015 02:14AM

All you can do is try.

I wish you luck.

M@t

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 16, 2015 02:29AM

To be clear.

Your wife knew your son was going to submite papers for a mission.

Your son knew he was foing to submit papers for a mission.

Your wife and your son talked about submitting papers for a mission.

You did not know your son was going to submit papers for a Mormon mission.

Did your wife and son talk about whether or not you should be be consulted about his submitting his papers for a mission?

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: April 16, 2015 03:05AM

Congratulations on your exit!! I am SO sorry things are so fraught at home and that there are obvious secrets being kept from you. I wish you all the VERY best at sorting it all out.

Do our wife and son know just how upset you are by their deception? I am wondering if it is time to make that VERY clear? Let them know that you may not be active, BUT that does not mean you are not a husband and a father and you resent the implication that you would stop him from doing something he really wanted to do.

That must have been a REAL kick in the teeth, BOner I am really sorry.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: April 16, 2015 04:10AM

Congrats man! Good luck with the wife and son thing, that's rough.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: April 16, 2015 12:08PM

Congrats on the authentic step.

I love your posts, Boner, and I want to ask this next question with that understanding because I have been in a similar situation:

Is it possible that you have made this mission topic off-limits or unsafe in some way in the past so that they felt like they were better off going behind your back?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 16, 2015 12:46PM

Bravo for honoring yourself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think thats wonderful.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.