Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kolonko ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 03:47AM

Ok so I guess it is a hard question for many and wanted to ask different one "which GA is your most liked" but I guess there would be no posts under such a thread so I asked a more general one instead. I would also like to note that church officials are of most interest to me and all posts mentioning Glenn Beck or Monson will be considered belated April fool's joke :) (come on it is already 04/03)

And to specify i think mostly of mormons in good standing with the church (TBM) and who do not oppose its teaching like John Dehlin.

For me as a nevermo i have to say that only mormons I know something about are Monson, Glenn Beck, Osmonds (hate their music) plus some historical figures like Smith and Brigham Young and I do not like any of them although with Osmonds it is only their music style and they might be fantastic people but i do not know about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2015 03:50AM by kolonko.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 04:06AM

The more you know about someone, the easier it is to be an iconoclast

so, in the spirit of the thread, I would say Gladys Knight, because I know nothing about her other than her music

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 04:13AM

All of the "Mormons" I respect are exmos!!!

I can't think of one actual Mormon I respect (in the sense you are talking about it here)...

...but I deeply respect many exmos.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (sober) ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 04:58AM

Philo Farnsworth, even though he might have been a Nazi.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 05:43AM

Philo's life ended badly, with an IRS padlock on his BYU lab door. He was a creative genius with 300 patents to his credit. Word of Wisdom noncompliance eventually killed him. He proved that the wages of sin is death.

"By Christmas 1970, PTFA had failed to secure the necessary financing, and the Farnsworths had sold all their own ITT stock and cashed in Philo's life insurance policy to maintain organizational stability. The underwriter had failed to provide the financial backing that was to have supported the organization during its critical first year. The banks called in all outstanding loans, repossession notices were placed on anything not previously sold, and the Internal Revenue Service put a lock on the laboratory door until delinquent taxes were paid. In January 1971, PTFA disbanded. Farnsworth had begun abusing alcohol in his later years,[45] and as a consequence he became seriously ill with pneumonia, and died on March 11, 1971.[44]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philo_Farnsworth

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2015 05:45AM by beyondashadow.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 06:24AM

I liked Joseph Wirthlin as far as GAs go because he seemed to have sincerely believed what he preached.

I also liked Gordon B. Hinckley although few here do. He seemed nice and grandfatherly, and he had a good sense of humor. He knew how to connect with the members, and was good at speaking as far as that goes.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 04:36PM

Yah, Hinckley was friendly and his ability to relate to people was incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuN_ZDJKkPo

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 06:59AM

Can't think of any prominent Mormon I can like or respect after a lifetime of being deceived by that organization.

I do respect Sandra and Jerrald Tanner for their dedication to helping other Mos and ex-Mos find their way out of there.

Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 07:22AM

Roseanne, because she was smart enough to leave before they could bury their hooks deep into her. And because she isn't afraid to publicly call the church on its bullsh!t.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 04:42PM

I contend that because Rosanne was never baptized that she never was Mormon. It doesn't matter that her family went to a ward for a few years.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 01:52PM

Julianne Hough, because she shows her bare shoulders....hubba hubba!!

(Somehow, I don't she qualifies for a TR any more, which is fine by me).

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 02:11PM

Why would I ever respect a bunch of sexist, racist, homophobic old farts who have no concept of ethics or decency?

Seriously, fuck those pompous windbags with a rusty pipe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2015 02:14PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: David A ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 02:17PM

I enjoyed watching Steve Young play professional football.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 02:34PM

Hey, David A ... you're not David Archuleta, are you?
Coming to this thread to see if anyone talked about you?

I liked David A on American Idol that year.
Then I never heard about him anymore (I didn't really look.)
I was disappointed to find out he was, you know. Ahem.
Not that I'd change my mind because of that. He sang pretty well. I respect that.

I’d vote Tal as my fav … wait a minute, he’s not Mormon.

I guess I don’t have anyone. Glady’s is cool. Osmonds, not so much.
(And they called it … puppy love …)

Glenn Beck? Oh my lord. :(

Date: April 03, 2015 03:55PM

ummmmm David Archuleta was a baby when Steve Young was playing football, Dave was 9 by the time Steve retired, and Dave does not seem like the kind of kid who was obsessed with sports, ever, let alone as a little kid.

Date: April 03, 2015 04:05PM

IIRC Morris was blind in one eye and still managed to play professional Basket ball in the NBA with no depth perception
which is absolutely astounding.

Stewart spoke at the MMM 150 year commemoration, his remarks were moving and majestic, in high contrast to Gordon B.S. Hinckley who looked like a POS. LD$ Inc should have done all they could to block Stewart from speaking because Hinckley looked so poor in contrast.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 02:23PM

While I can't think of any current famous LDS person I have any respect for, I can say that Randy Bachman's musical output with both the Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive was excellent, even though he was LDS at the time. And his son, Tal (who is a very vocal ex-Mormon now) recorded the excellent "She's So High," while he was still with the fold.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 02:26PM

I actually knew Philo's wife Pem. She was cool.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 02:28PM

Nary a one. Only Mormons I respected were my Dad and two other men...and none were/are famous but all are beloved.

Ron Burr

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 02:51PM

Steve Young.

He was a great QB who handled the SF 49ers QB controversy with class.

I loved the story about how the 49ers accounting department was having trouble reconciling their books, only to find out Young had been throwing his paychecks into a drawer because he didn't want to cash them until he felt he earned them.

AND he doesn't bring up the church unless specifically asked.

Some people can be good people in spite of the church. As one poster remarked in another thread, "treat them nice...they might be future exmos."

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 02:55PM

Mitt's dad George deserves some respect for his pro-civil rights position in the 1960's, and for standing up to that racist tool Delbert Stapley.

Dale Murphy was a pretty good ballplayer for Atlanta, although I thought he was a bit overrated. Last I heard, Murphy was a MP or a 2Q70 or something like that.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 03:02PM

Larry Correia is an utterly hilarious NYT-bestselling author and LDS convert.

John Browning arguably helped the US win WWI and WWII.

Sandy Peterson, who made Doom and Quake as awesome as they are.

Both my maternal and paternal grandfathers, who fought in WWII.

The religion wouldn't last unless it delivered some value to its members. I know a lot of good people in the LDS church, and I know a lot of good people outside of it.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 03:08PM

Don't know a lot about him except that he had a wicked sense of humor and didn't seem to take the rigid LDS BS too seriously.

He drank coffee. That's admirable right there!

From Wikipedia, "In 1892, while still serving as mission president, Kimball was called to be an LDS General Authority as a member of the First Council of Seventy. He modestly and humorously attributed his new position to his father's influence:

'Some people say a person receives a position in this church through revelation, and others say they get it through inspiration, but I say they get it through relation. If I hadn't been related to Heber C. Kimball I wouldn't have been a damn thing in this church.' "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2015 03:12PM by Twinker.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 03:09PM

Jon Hunstman Jr

From what I hear is he more or less exmo

Posted by: frackenmess ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 03:42PM

Agree!

He stands up for what is right regardless of the negative press from Utah sheeple.

He's got my vote for any office.

Posted by: frackenmess ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 03:44PM

My favorite: The Administration of ExMoromon.Org

They haven't sold out.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 03:33PM

Will and Pat are both still on the church rosters, and I'm pleased they're also close friends of mine.

I don't think LDS, Inc. is dense enough to try to ex-communicate either... Will once publicly thanked Glen Leonard and Rick Turley of the Church History department for making "Blood of the Prophets" a bestseller. He also told me what it would be worth to him if the church ex-communicated him... I think he might've been a little envious of what happened to John Dehlin.

Terry Tempest Williams gets the Ladies Award from me...

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 03:38PM

Well honestly it's tough to name one.

I do however want to pay respect to the memory of Morris and his brother Stewart Udall who happen to be cousins.

Not exactly TBMs but they both served with integrity, a rare trait among modern politicians.

Date: April 03, 2015 04:06PM

IIRC Morris was blind in one eye and still managed to play professional Basket ball in the NBA with no depth perception
which is absolutely astounding.

Stewart spoke at the MMM 150 year commemoration, his remarks were moving and majestic, in high contrast to Gordon B.S. Hinckley who looked like a POS. LD$ Inc should have done all they could to block Stewart from speaking because Hinckley looked so poor in contrast.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 04:32PM

Well I can't think of anyone more fitting than Stew Udall for a MMM commemoration, considering that he grew up being taunted by fellow Mormons because of his colorful ancestor, the wicked John D Lee.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 04:12PM

Leonard J Arrington

Fawn McKay Brodie

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 04:25PM

John Huntsmann

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 04:46PM

All the mormons I ever respected have died. My first two bishops and their wives, my last scout master. Hmmm... That seems to be it! They were solid gold from the crowns of their heads to the soles of their feet.

But there are really good people in all religions and non-religions...

Posted by: Ute Fan ( )
Date: April 03, 2015 04:47PM

Kyle Whittingham, Utah football coach
Jon Huntsman
the Chemistry professors Eyring

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.