Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: funn ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 02:59PM

Did anybody out there get involved in conversations with ex-mormons online while you were still TBM? I had my moment of awakening before the internet was such a huge part of everyone's lives. I'm just curious if anybody had their mind opened by things people said to them online.

I do remember once when I was still TBM and I visited a gay chat room. I said a bunch of ignorant, homophobic things to them. Most of the people in the chat room ignored me but one guy took the time to be patient with me and told me about how being gay isn't a choice and stuff like that. It made a big impression on me. I can remember other people in the chat room asking him "Why are you talking to that homophobe?" and he said something about helping people understand. I wonder if that played a role in my mind eventually opening.

Another time a few years earlier I got in a deep discussion with a co-worker who was an atheist. He made arguments that I didn't know how to refute. I wonder if that also helped set the wheels in motion toward my realization that I don't believe in Mormonism.

Sometimes I get in these discussions online with Mormons and I wonder if eventually our conversations will help them to find their way out of the LDS cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 03:10PM by funn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saanhetna ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 03:26PM

I started talking to people about 4 years ago. I was really in a stressed state. I was able to ask questions privately through email to a mentor. She literally saved me. She was so patient, as I could only take so much truth at once. I don't remember what website I found her on. Some of us transition smoothly, others like myself, have a much more difficult time.

Posted by: False Doctrine ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 03:49PM

Guilty for throwing jabs at people on this (RFM) site. Boy, was I wrong. Please forgive me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.