Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmointexas ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 11:41AM

Now chatting with Brittany
Now chatting with Whitney

Hi.

10:02 AM

Me - I am thinking about joining your church and I have a couple of questions.

Them - Hey! what are some of your questions? :)

Me - I just read an essay on lds.org that says that Joseph Smith put a stone in a hat to translate the book of Mormon. Is that true?

Them - hmm that is interesting, Can you give us the link to that? You said it was on LDS.org?

Me - hold on, I can't cut and paste in this chat thing. What's up with that? I'll have to type it out...hold on

https://www.lds.org/topics/book-of-mormon-translation?lang=eng

Them - was that the link?

Me - I also found another one on the same site about that the principal ancestors of the American Indians are 'lamanites' whatever that is.

or rather AREN'T linked to Hebrews at all

Me - so the church is saying that dna says that the ancestors of the Indians are Asian, not Hebrew.

what's up with that?

I don't get it.

If science says that the early church leaders are wrong in saying that the Indians are actually Hebrews then what's up with that?

I mean, I thought you guys believed that science was like really real or something.

Them - hang on just one second

10:16 AM

Them - The Urim and Thummim and the 'seer stone" helped Joseph translate the book of Mormon by the power of god.

Are you familiar with the Book of Mormon?

Me - So I hear that joseph smith found the seer stone in a river. What's up with that?

So if the dna says that early church leaders were wrong in their claims about Indians and joseph smith used a river stone in a hat to translate a language that never existed, what's up with that?

I really seriously don[t get it.

I just figured that if I'm going to join your religion and give 10 percent of my income to it I better find out if it's true or not.

I mean I make a lot. I am an electrical engineer. I came to America to be successful. I wouldn't want to join the wrong religion, would I?

Them - have you ever read the Book of Mormon before? I think that would help answer a lot of your questions! :)

actually, I know that it would

:)

Me - Yes, I read it all.

Them - Cool! What did you think?

Me - I read The whole thing.

Them - Did you pray to ask God if it was true?

Me - I read parts of it twice.

Well, I figured I better find out whether the claims made about it were true first.

It just doesn't make sense in parts.

The geography seems wrong. I am from the middle east and some of it is really messed up.

Like city names, bodies of water, etc

Also, I am a Christian arab and you guys say that ther was like a great apostasy or something?

I mean I looked at my bishop's line of authority or whatever it is and it has all the names back to the apostles.

what's up with that?

So like when did the church like f up or whatever"?

-chat session ended-

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 11:54AM

They'll flag your ISP and that's the end of that....

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 02:25PM

That's a good way to proselytize to the missionaries about the truthfulness of their claims.

If that doesn't get them to start asking their own questions, then they're really ignorant.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.