Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 02:39PM

to the unconverted?

Comparing the current apostles with their biblical namesakes, we don't see the apostles going out to teach all nations, kindred and tongues. The apostles of JS's times did do that, but then it sort of petered out and now we have the current circle of jerks who do nothing but preach to the already converted, unless you call haranguing 18 to 22 year old kids to fast longer and work harder preaching the gospel.

According to believers, these are men of ghawd! These are men who should have the faith to tell a mountain, "move ye hence" and the mountain would move!

Why aren't they clamoring to get on all the media? Why aren't they tweeting the gospel, why aren't they hosting call-in shows for all the world? They don't even have an "Ask an apostle!" show on KSL!! If they were serious about taking the Word to the world, they'd be on KSL all day and all night, preaching for all they were worth! They'd have YouTube videos in which they would bear their testimonies in all the languages of the world! Who would dare to question the word of an apostle of ghawd? They'd make mincemeat of any who dared to oppose or question them!

Why are they putting it all on all the kids, none of whom has ever played Scrabble with Jesus? Sure, they need boots on the ground, but the mishies should be able to hand out pass-along cards with the local channel and exact time when the prospects they find can listen to and ask questions of an apostle, a glorious witness for ghawd!

Why aren't the 12 doing all they can to get their mugs on TV to proclaim the truth to a world so desperately in need of that truth? What on earth could the apostles be afraid of?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 02:45PM

My thoughts exactly when Gordo was asked about being a prophet...
"Well, I am sustained as such".

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 02:55PM

As a missionary it used to bug the hell out of me when visiting GA's would speak to us and ream us new sphincters because we weren't baptizing thousands a month.

We were working hard so I resented the implication that we were slackers. I wanted to stand up and scream at them "If its so damned easy why aren't YOU out here knocking on these doors?"

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 03:29PM

Yeah, no one in the whole first presidency would even have a clue what it was like. Along with other so-called apostles. Many of them probably haven't even spoken to a non-mormon in years.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 03:04PM

They would certainly be doing this if they thought it would work. They know it wouldn't help convert anyone. In fact, it would do more to deconvert the faithful. They can't appear as average old guys lacking answers. They need to stick to their twice a year carefully scripted rehashed talks...talks about how they aren't out of touch, how people need to stop looking at the internets, tithing, of course, etc...

Date: March 30, 2015 03:24PM

So how come we're not shaming them by contrasting the current apostles with the apostles and prophets of old?

What would happen if, when preached at by TBM relatives, we countered with our appraisal of these wannabe apostles, who do nothing by tinker with the souls of the faithful?

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 03:29PM

Because the brethren have made themselves beyond reproach.

Date: March 30, 2015 03:36PM

Yeah, you're right. Like any other 'attack'on the church, it's just ignored. Doesn't matter how much sense you might make, if it's not their Truth, it's no truth at all...

maybe if I fasted and prayed more....?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 03:36PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 03:37PM

What is the point of being a special witness of Jesus Christ = some one who has met and communed with the resurrected Jesus Christ in person as MORmON apostles have done according to MORmON convention, IF such apostles / ASSpostHOLES going to sit back and not boldy proclaim their special witness in detail? If a person has the title of "apostle", then they need to step up and start telling the world about their personal interaction with Christ!!! Otherwise I might think they are just ASSpostHOLES gah

It almost like these pompous MORmON ASSpostHOLES just want to brow beat teen age kids into doing all the real work of peddling the MORmON gospel while they sit back and suck up all of the benefits of the youngsters efforts / labors. ITs almost like the only thing that MORmONISM can do is talk really big, and then never actually deliver on anything ..............

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 03:51PM

I've been listening to the Hans Mattson testimony and the "Swedish rescue" on Mormon Stories podcast. And what seems to be the current culture withing the upper echlons is that it's reproachful to ask a senior member of the GA's of the church a difficult question. We as the great unwashed are never to put one of them on the spot. They take offense at news reporters asking probing questions as well. They expect reverent deference in their presence. They no longer have to proclaim a "special witness" as in the 1800's to be a "special witness anymore."

Us members can't send a letter and get our fortune told anymore (like in BY day). It's sad because when I compare the culture to Jesus' day, he wasn't afraid of answering questions or who was going to get offended. And he offended more people than agreed with him, didn't seem to bother him too much though?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.