Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: esias ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 12:25PM

All hail the modern historical heroes of history who donate their time and test their soporific patience on behalf of us all and report back on the homogenous miasma of formaldehyde from the stuffed high benches of general conference!

Essays recently donated from recent general conference watchers on this board were excellent and entertaining. Our thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 12:30PM

Conference may be forced upon me... My wife and I scheduled a trip to visit my Parents over next weekend, we realized later that it was conference weekend... My wife noted that at least we wouldn't have that awkward question about going to church on Sunday... I reminded her that it would be on TV all weekend instead. We decided that we'll take a lot of walks.

I keep trying to figure out how to keep a tally of the number of times "Christ" "Joseph Smith" and "Tithing" are mentioned to compare the list later, can't think of a way to do that without being somewhat obvious...

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:23PM

<<I keep trying to figure out how to keep a tally of the number of times "Christ" "Joseph Smith" and "Tithing" are mentioned to compare the list later, can't think of a way to do that without being somewhat obvious...>>

Your family members will be taking notes themselves won't they? You can write your own notes. ;) Good luck!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 06:12PM

The problem with Christ is "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

"Christ"
Results 1 - 20 of 4982 for christ (0.574 seconds)

Without that Smith wins hands down attempting to search all conference talks since 1830 with the BYU tool.

"Joseph Smith"
Results 1 - 20 of 3238 for joseph smith (0.649 seconds)

And tithing has a lot euphemisms like contributions, donations, consecrations etc.

"Tithing"
Results 1 - 20 of 471 for tithing (0.623 seconds)

http://scriptures.byu.edu/

This is more interesting...
http://www.lds-general-conference.org/

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 12:50PM

Incidentally, I checked this site for trends in these two words.

http://www.lds-general-conference.org/

Obey

Spiked in 1880s, 1960s, and starting to spike. I predict it will spike again in the 2020s.

Obedience

Slowly increasing from inception of Mormonism. Peaking in 1990s and now.

The powers of LDS Inc. are converging on Obey and Obedience for the 2020s.

I predict it will be the decade of hammering the blindest obedience ever for Mormonism.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:54PM

Finally Free! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I keep trying to figure out how to keep a tally of
> the number of times "Christ" "Joseph Smith" and
> "Tithing" are mentioned to compare the list later,
> can't think of a way to do that without being
> somewhat obvious...

Keep a tally of how many times any of the words "obey,"
"obeyed," obedience," etc. are used.

Keep a tally of how many times the word "agency" is used.

Which is more?

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 01:04PM

Even when I was trying to be a TBM prior to my faith crisis, I found conference mundane and tiresome. In order to keep awake we started a game. Rather than a tally; We used to play a form of "business meeting Bingo".

http://www.derose.net/steve/resources/papers/Bingo.html

The words we would put in are Joseph Smith, guide, pioneer(s), prophet, last-days, tithing, Jesus, Brigham Young, Temple, apostasy, testimony, priesthood, labor, missionary, Sister, I know, obey, spirit, Brother, children, apostle, etc...

We then had fun, because you could jump up with "Bingo" if you got a straight line; or you can try all four sessions for "Blackout Bingo". This is because the speeches would mostly put people into a nap or hypnotic state and no one could repeat what the talk was about; but a least we listened.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.