Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 10:49AM

I just read this on an O/T topic, yet the writer is using the term to cover a wide range of denial/acceptance of offensive principles.

The story is about a Muslim woman who is attacking the misogynistic teachings, practices of Islam. I guess to give westerners the concept of what is going on here, they had to come up with examples which Christian Westerners could relate to.

Here's the quote: "If Hirsi Ali had had a strict Baptist upbringing somewhere in the southern United States and left to tell the story of its hypocrisies and closed-mindedness, she would be welcomed and celebrated in such precincts as Brandeis, without anyone uttering a peep of protest.

This is the “Book of Mormon” effect — no one cares about offending the inoffensive. It’s only debate over a religion that is home to dangerous fanatics ripping apart the Middle East and threatening the West that must be carefully policed. http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/03/ayaan-hirsi-ali-a-hero-for-our-time-116404.html?ml=m_b1_1#.VRlfcVLVAdV

Will this phrase/term start catching on? Will enough people understand the concept of "Book of Mormon" effect???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 11:12AM

It's simple. Baptists (speaking as one) and Mormons won't bring bombs to your facility or spray an assembly with automatic fire. Even the Westboro "Baptists"* don't pack heat.

*I disavow their use or identity as "Baptists" or, for that matter, "Christians."

And shame on Brandeis, a purportedly liberal institution, for shutting out Hirsi Ali from speaking all because some people "might" have been "offended."

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 11:54AM

There is no concept of Book of Mormon effect. To make any sense out of the statement in that article depends heavily on knowing the context. I had a little trouble figuring out what they meant even with the context.

So no, I don't expect it will catch on.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.