Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 08:03AM

Salt Lake Trib article about mormon church lobbyists in the capitol building and whether or not they are playing 'hardball'.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2323383-155/mormon-church-lobbying-in-utahs-capitol

So the question in the article is whether or not they should be accused of playing hardball. But shouldn't people be asking why are they even there in the first place?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 08:19AM

I live in Utah. These people are not lobbyists. They are enforcers. The lobbyist label is a term of art. Here in Utah we all know how the "Democratic" system works.

Think North Korea.

Seriously.

Voter turn out in Utah is a whopping 10-11 percent. This is because the candidates are chosen long before Election Day.

O.k. People think this isn't real. During the legislative session the church sends the word up to the hill as to what it wants. We all know how it works here it's like the good ol' boy's club on steroids.

These church "lobbyists" are no such thing. They are nothing less than enforcers.

Above all else Mormons in Utah, will, at any and all costs do what's needed to keep their status. Status is a big deal to the Mormons. Just threaten them with a temple recommend loss and they do what they are told.

Lobbyist....nope. More like enforcer.

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 08:21AM

I'd say Utah is even worse than North Korea when it comes to this sort of thing! People have no idea.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 11:19AM

They moved from being a religion to a business.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 12:34PM

They are spending - and extending - tithes and offerings. Maybe

Posted by: zenmaster (nli) ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 01:55PM

"So the question in the article is whether or not they should be accused of playing hardball. But shouldn't people be asking why are they even there in the first place?"

When I told my wife about this, she wasn't concerned about the tactics, but about exactly what you said: "Why does the Church have lobbyists?"

If you read about the Council of 50 in Utah, it gives a great insight into the theocratic, political mindset in Utah. This mindset still exists today.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 02:12PM

Since it is not really a church rather a political theocracy what more would you expect?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.