Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DefNotRoyalty ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:43PM

What is the definition of Mormon Royalty?

Is Mormon Royalty something you attain, or is it something to which you are born?

Are all General Authorities Mormon Royalty? Are all Mormon Royalty General Authorities (or at least have family who are)?

What are the benefits of being Mormon Royalty?

I need some help understanding what this means.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:52PM

I see it as existing on two or three different levels.

There are the historic royal families: Smith, Young, Kimball, Cannon, etc.

There are the current apostles, and Seventies, which I hope is self-explanatory.

And finally there are the local royals, descendants of families that settled certain areas where mormons are concentrated.

In Southern Nevada, it's Bunker, Leavitt & Stewart.

Flake, in, I think, eastern Arizona. Etc...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 10:53PM

Excellent Analysis to both don & elderdog.

next or coming subject of an essay? That would make me sit up & pay attention! But I'm NOT holding my breath!

Peace, everyone :)

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 11:11PM

I would add two other distinct groups. Definitely a different kind of royalty though than the names, but sometimes they become names and even occasionally the names slip into these categories.

Famous (athletes, actors, politicians)

Wealthy (Marriott, Huntsman, Covey)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 11:25PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 11:16PM

Who would you say is morg royalty in southern Idaho??

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 02:06AM

I knew a family in Burley that appointed themselves to mormon royalty. It lasted for two generations before they all died or left mormonism. I believe it started with a Dentist whose last name I can't recall.

His daughter married a successful cattle breeder named Jay Whittle (deceased). They were the top dogs for decades until the next generation didn't stick with the whole mormon thing.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 02:22AM

I've lived in a lot of different wards around the usa. All of them have their version of mormon royalty.

Now that the internet has put so much info out, I realize that most of my bishops had mormon royalty names. I didn't realize it at the time, I thought they were just the same as everyone else.

Bishops names I can recall:
Whittle
Jolley
Brown
Teeples
Thatcher
Hansen
Sorenson
Leavitt
Flake
Charter
MCClanahaan
Thacker
Danowski
Stoddard
Sudweeks
Rowley

Those are the ones I can recall.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:47AM

I didn't know Teeples might be a possible Mormon royalty name.

Posted by: AzNoway ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 06:44AM

And the Flakes have a way of working the name "Flake" (as in Jeff Flake's name) into the middle of the full name of anyone related to the family but having a different surname (i.e., John Flake Smith). I imagine the Snows do it, too. But inserting Flake as a middle name seems downright obligatory if you are related to the family but have a different surname.

The town of Snowflake AZ comes from merging the names of the two different Mormon founding families. They are a real self important group.

Posted by: MeToo ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:28PM

I can very much vouch for the Flake arrogance. Unfortunately my ex in laws were both Flake and descendants of Joseph Smith. Quite an exclusive attitude came along with all that royal pioneer heritage.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 09:08PM

Aren't they all gods and goddesses in embryo?

Next to the God myth, is the next closest thing to Mormon royalty besides apostles and 70 and long line of false prophets, are those like the singing Osmond family and Mitt et al.

Only because they've attained celebrity status, which in America is regarded as a form of royalty since we don't have a monarchy.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 09:10PM

The only people who benefit from Mormonism.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 09:13PM

With all the doubters the royals are more important than ever. You have to have loyal/royalty that can keep the system running no matter what.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (sober) ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 11:03PM

Julia Hills Johnson and her kids were called the "royal family" in Nauvoo. They all got screwed by HJ, one way or another. She may have more mormon descendants than any other cult member (including BY, I suspect).

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 11:25PM

A Napoleon Dynamite dynasty.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 12:55AM

Vote for Pedro!

I love technology, not as much as you, you see
Still, I love technology
Always and forever

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 01:05PM

Date: March 30, 2015 12:26AM

my First exposure was WMR getting married in Michigan (with her parents eligible to attend) then flying to SLC the next day to be sealed; this happened close to when I was engaged, I asked for the same privilege (Guess what MY answer was!).

funny that apologists persist in explaining, defending this, 'eh?

'they just d/won't get it'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 01:55AM by GNPE.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 12:36AM

A stunning example! Thanks!

Date: March 30, 2015 01:54AM

others in/around Seattle were just as stunning, believe me!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 01:47AM

For those who have read Steve Benson's accounts of his life in Mormonism, it looks like he was Mormon royalty. From one account I read, he received special reserved seating at General Conference, ate lavish meals in the church office building in between conference sessions, and then cut in line to return to his special seating for the next sessions. Meamwhile, the unwashed masses waited in line for several hours without eating, hoping to eventually get a seat.

How about it Steve? What are some of your most extreme stories of being Mormon Royalty? To Steve Benson's credit he voluntarily left his royal status because he couldn't live the lies he was raised to believe, any longer. That takes courage and character.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 02:48AM by azsteve.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 06:31AM

. . . Ask and Ye Shall Receive."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 02:11PM by steve benson.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 06:11AM

I think the term mormon royalty should be exsponged. I prefer the term Mormon Mafia.

I think that term is closer to reality. They give jobs and positions to members of the 'family'. It and insiders club where you need to prove your loyalty to the family, and then you get a rank that you work your way up in.

It has secrets and you're sworn to keep them that way. Even upon former penalties of death.

They hide the money, it's hidden from the people and the authorities.

None of them are above lying to the press, the people, the courts. The collude together to their own benefit.

It is a financial fraud. It is a misrepresentation racket.

If it weren't for the protected religious status they would be indicted under RICO laws.

Mormon Mafia is less 'complimentary' than Mormon Royalty.

It lets them know that we clearly see them as part of an organised crime syndicate.

Posted by: anonski21 ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 08:48AM

A neat perk of 'Mormon Royalty' is that the tedious, nonsensical, day to day rules of being mormon do not apply to you, due to your position of wealth and family prestige.

You can let hoi polloi bust their ass every day while you spew nonsense of how valiant the laborers in the vineyard are.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 10:07AM

about mormon royalty. Maybe someone else can find it as I can't. It was one of the first things I read when coming to this site many years ago.

I didn't know I was "mormon royalty" until I came to this board. My family certainly wasn't treated as such. I can't believe I stayed as long as I did considering the treatment we got. All the members of my family who were treated like I was left long before I did.

I also found Steve Benson's stories very enlightening. I wonder how my TBM daughter would respond to those. Yes, we were treated so well as royalty that my daughter is the only TBM of all my parents' grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 10:08AM by cl2.

Date: March 30, 2015 10:56AM

The influence by Mormon elitists within the hierachy of LDS religion has no power over those who've left its clutches.

I no longer consider GA as Mormon "royalty" because to me they're all either very delusional or con artists.

They're part of a massive deception and coverup like a multi-level marketing scheme aka pyramid scheme.

Give me back my tithing, I'd say if my words had any power to recoup my lost earnings I paid over time to support them in their high rise towers luxurious offices and homes.

They aren't monarchy or royalty anymore to those who've left. Just baron robbers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 11:06AM by amyjo.

Date: March 30, 2015 01:16PM

both my experiences in/around Seattle & as a missionary yielded close to a 50/50 break between 'locals' & IMW born bishops. Some locations were careful to choose locals over IMW newbies because area lifers weren't friendly / respectful to if not resented out-of-towners. SPs tho were most always transplants.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 02:57PM

I'm not so sure we need to worry about whether or not we're of Mormon Royalty, if we come from multi-generational Mormon families. I'm related to almost (it really looks like maybe ALL) the current Q15. I'm related to Steve Benson, Shummy, Elder Berry, didymus and WinksWinks for certain, but if you're a descendant of a multi-generational Mormon family, I'm related to you, dear reader! The mix is such a mess, I found I'm related to my ex-wife by blood and my current wife by blood!

As promiscuous as traditional political "royalty" were, I'd have to claim in the same fashion I am Mormon royalty as a bastard!

Some may say that moniker fits!

Date: March 30, 2015 03:06PM

moose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not so sure we need to worry about whether or
> not we're of Mormon Royalty, if we come from
> multi-generational Mormon families. I'm related to
> almost (it really looks like maybe ALL) the
> current Q15. I'm related to Steve Benson, Shummy,
> Elder Berry, didymus and WinksWinks for certain,
> but if you're a descendant of a multi-generational
> Mormon family, I'm related to you, dear reader!
> The mix is such a mess, I found I'm related to my
> ex-wife by blood and my current wife by blood!
>
> As promiscuous as traditional political "royalty"
> were, I'd have to claim in the same fashion I am
> Mormon royalty as a bastard!
>
> Some may say that moniker fits!

Now this is interesting! Makes me wonder more about my family ancestry.

Goes back as far to Joe Smith and Co.

My TBM brother met his TBM wife at a singles dance in Washington DC, 1986. She was from Boulder, CO, he was from Ogden, UT. Her ancestors and ours share a common spot in a country cemetery in SE Idaho.

What were the odds of that? They're related by blood from a hundred years or so ago. Both flaming redheads too.

Deja vu?

Every US president from George Washington down to Barack Obama are related - most through bloodlines, 2-3 by marriage. Only exception is Gerald Ford, and he was adopted and didn't know what his heritage was.

I learned I'm related as cousins to George Washington by our common ancestry through some old royals in England. They were his 11th generation great grandparents, and my 20th. It's connections like that that link the US presidents all together! Once you find one set of royals for example through Old England, you begin to learn you're related to most of them. It was family members who fought for generations over who controlled the powerful monarchy, like the Wars of the Roses.

But hadn't considered the same might apply to Mormons, and yet they bred like rabbits! And here we are as living proof!

:D

So by golly by gosh, can only imagine the possibilities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 03:12PM by amyjo.

Posted by: br amussen ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 03:28PM

Yes indeed, it's a small incestous pool! Count me in.

I say the only true mormon royalty are we, those recovering.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 03:47PM

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:02PM

When a person is the MORmON PRofit, then they are the King of MORmON KingDUMB. The MORmON ASSpostHOLES are the knights of the MORmON kingDUMB. If one of them plays it right they could become MORmON king. The 70 whatever G.A.s have a very small shot of making it into the 12. These are the people who are being paid to represent and promote the MORmON scam.

Some stupid Asses who are bishop or Stake President would like to think that they are MORmON royalty. They are not. They are just elevated pawns, who are stooges / toadies for the real MORmON insiders = the people who actually get paid for their ASSociation with the MORmON church.

Date: March 30, 2015 05:09PM

How many times have you heard a bishop or stake president refer to their wives as "the First Lady?" More times than I care to count lol.

There are some okay Mormon leaders, and some humble ones. My experience has seen a mix of the humble versus the totally arrogant and obnoxious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 05:09PM by amyjo.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:30PM

I have seen here in OZ that it is the descendants of many of the 'original' members, those who joined tscc many decades ago and have oodles of descendants all of whom seem to be Bishops and Stake Presidents.

Date: March 30, 2015 05:36PM

they don't get how Arrogant they are, how off-putting to the rank-and-file these acts / attitudes are....

That's because they've come to expect that rank-and-file members are GULLIBLE, OBSEQUIOUS, FAWNING, and DEFERENTIAL, COMPLIANT to them, whether Bps, SPs, Dry Council members, or most anyone above those mentioned.

message Sent, message Received.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:48PM

Blood connections and MONEY-----these two are the status symbols that put a person on the pinnacle of rising position in the church/cult.

If you lack these? Well, you get to work in the nursery.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.