Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Type one ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:00PM

I missed that announcement. Did they read it in church as a message from the first presidency? How did that go over?

What about LDS members of roller derby teams? Are they not allowed to wear patterned tights for their games?

I happen to like lots of patterns and randomness in my clothes. That would be cramping my style if I listened to them and followed them.

Those old men really stick their nose in people's business where it doesn't belong.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:10PM

No geometrics? How boring and trite is that.

Tights are a fashion statement. It's not showing anything that pantyhose or other leggings wouldn't show.

I don't get it.

Posted by: Type one ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:12PM

When did they make this announcement? Was it read over the pulpit?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 01:01AM

Yeah, I missed any mention of this. Is this really a "thing"? Is this counsel to all the church from the big 15? Does this appear in print anywhere?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:15PM

Well, the men aren't supposed to wear loud ties.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:26PM

I think the old boys are very scared and very angry. They are trying to tighten their grip on their followers by making the rules even more strict. Some people gain wisdom as they age. This has not happened with the old boys. They get more set in their ways and more rigid.

In some ways this is good. As the rules get more ridiculous, more people on the fence will bolt.

I love watching the "I am an exmormon" segment where the young woman discusses the issue of patterned tights. She cracks me up every time I watch it. Gloria I think her name is.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:26PM

It happened after Boyd K. Packer was discovered wearing them under his suit. The blame was placed on the women of the church who wore them, they must have been the cause of evil desires for one of the feeble apostles. Tom Monson didn't have an opinion, he was in the corner drooling and mumbling something about Packer's sexy legs. Oaks wanted any woman who wears them to be taken from her husband and sealed to him so he could build his harem of eternal wives. Holland didn't like the idea of Oaks acting like Joseph Smith and getting all those women for himself. The other apostles prayed and came to the decision to ban everyone from wearing patterned tights so that Packer's temptations could be controlled and so Oaks and Holland would shut the hell up.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:37PM

https://missionary.lds.org/dress-grooming/sister/guidelines/?lang=eng

In colder climates, you may wear dark, conservative-colored leggings; however, they should only be worn under longer skirts to increase warmth. Wear boots or similarly colored nylons to avoid showing the bottom of the legging.

You are not required to wear nylons or tights; however, you may wear them, especially in colder weather. Your nylons and tights should not attract attention. Choose nylons, no-show socks (for dress shoes), and tights in conservative, neutral colors. Avoid bright, colorful nylons or tights. Patterned nylons or tights should be subtle and simple in design and should not be made of any kind of mesh, fishnet, or lace material.

Posted by: munchkin ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:51PM

Here's a video in which one woman tells of hearing the announcement. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxSHQ2qk86k&feature=youtu.be

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 08:23PM

This is my favorite I am an exmormon video.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:53PM

As I have posted several times in the past several years, I look forward to a heaven where it is colorful and not according to mo standards. I never did conform, though in my occupation I wear white shirts - but with colorful ties.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:58PM

Makes you almost want to buy some of these just to wear them to sacrament meeting and see what type of reaction you get...of course all the mormon girls would love #7:

http://www.viralands.com/leggings/1?utm_source=social&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=sk&ts_pid=2

Posted by: Moe ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 09:06PM

I know of a ward in Texas where leggings have been banned...even worn under shorts during sports. This was very upsetting to my tbm friend and her friends, and daughters, as well.

Posted by: ladyhawk ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 12:34AM

Moe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know of a ward in Texas where leggings have been
> banned...even worn under shorts during sports.
> This was very upsetting to my tbm friend and her
> friends, and daughters, as well.

I don't understand this. Wouldn't it be more modest than shorts alone?

Posted by: NeverMo Chris ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 10:05PM

Man, I would have been so screwed in my younger years. Starting when I was about 16, my "uniform" consisted of a top, matching tights, and either a short skirt or a dress. Even years later when I had to "dress up" to go to work, it was a look I pulled out of the closet

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 12:32AM

NeverMo Chris Wrote:
> Man, I would have been so screwed in my younger
> years. Starting when I was about 16, my "uniform"
> consisted of a top, matching tights, and either a
> short skirt or a dress. Even years later when I
> had to "dress up" to go to work, it was a look I
> pulled out of the closet

Harlot of Satan!!!!!!!

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 01:17AM

Is this real? Like really real? I can imagine there being a dumb rule for missionaries, but for the general membership? Maybe I'll don a nice pair of striped tights for Easter Sunday and see what happens?

Posted by: Moe ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 02:26AM

Well you would think they'd be more modest than shorts alone, but they went ahead and banned them completely. Which was very frustrating because loose tops, leggings, and boots are standard mom wardrobe....what was relayed to me, is some woman wore to short of shirts with their leggings. This came down from the "higher ups." I'll leave it at that, for fear of giving away too much info. This family is very dear to me, and are very TBM. The wife was very upset over this, and for the first time questioning the thinking of the church authority. It's interesting what can trigger questions, huh?

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 03:55AM

I think they may be referring most to the tights patterned to look like stockings with very visible suspenders. Loads of girls here in UK wear them with very short shorts or skirt.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=suspender+tights&rlz=1C1CHJX_enGB480GB480&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=685&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=UQEZVeXBE4PR7QbVjYCAAw&sqi=2&ved=0CD0QsAQ

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:27PM

http://www.buzzfeed.com/cathyngo/leggings-every-nerdy-girl-needs#.wxZRj8eY5

I would totally were some of these, but I like leggings. :)

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 06:05PM

Thanks for that link, anonuk!

I... oh... sorry! What was I saying? ;oD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 06:06PM by matt.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 03:19PM

Anonuk, those are called "garters" in the US. Church leaders would have instant heart attacks (since many of them lived in the forties/fifties when that was how women wore "stockings.")

Women members don't tell them what kind of laxatives to buy, so they should stop "butting" in on every item of clothing females choose to wear.

Isn't this still a free country? Not in the Mo-trix.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 11:37AM

Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders Wrote:
> Anonuk, those are called "garters" in the US.
> Church leaders would have instant heart attacks
> (since many of them lived in the forties/fifties
> when that was how women wore "stockings.")
>
> Women members don't tell them what kind of
> laxatives to buy, so they should stop "butting" in
> on every item of clothing females choose to wear.
>
> Isn't this still a free country? Not in the
> Mo-trix.

so I should have described them as tights patterned like garters & stockings? Ah, the complexities of our 'common' language :)

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:48AM

Since 1830, you slut.

With Love,

TSCCL

(This So Called Church Lady)

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 04:58AM

Jesus does not approve of patterned tights, but you can still buy them from his shopping mall.

Thanks Jesus.

Posted by: Reverend Bishop ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:34AM

Anything that gives me an erection should be banned.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 05:48AM

I do not know about this patterned tight pants rule.

I have come to know that "yoga pants" can be VERY revealing, especially under certain circumstances, as well as low cut hip hugger jeans that are currently very popular. Sister Bednar would be appalled.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 06:01AM

I know what, they don't want members wearing anything loud, because it might distract from the talks. It might keep someone from their nap during sacrament meeting.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 03:40AM

We'll tell you how to wear your hair
We'll tell you what shirt to wear,
We'll tell you if that dress is too sexy
So don't be a thinkin' that its ok to think.

We'll tell you the type of man to wed
We'll tell you how to do it in bed,
We'll tell you if that beverage is healthy
So don't be a thinking' that its ok to think.

We'll tell you when you're cold or hot
We'll tell you if you're tired or not,
We'll tell you how much is enough
So don't be a sayin' that you know how to think.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 03:42AM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 08:20PM

1,000,000 !

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.