Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fully Disvested ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 07:45PM

I got arm twisted into going to Sacrament Meeting today -- the first time in years. I thought it wouldn't be too bad because I was expecting an Easter program -- something palatable.

Instead, it was Crying Sunday -- you know the meeting with the open mic where anyone can get up and blabber.

I heard lots and lots of praise for Joseph Smith, lots of talk about how wonderful temple work is, but very little about Jesus Christ. So, since next week is General Conference, our ward and probably almost all of the wards throughout the Church will skip Easter service.

TSCC will never learn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 07:52PM

Fully Disvested Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Instead, it was Crying Sunday -- you know the
> meeting with the open mic where anyone can get up
> and blabber.

I would go to F&T Meeting if I knew I could see a TBM rap their testimony. That would be interesting - or an aspiring standup comic do their testimony as a comic routine...

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 12:35AM

Let me tell you,

Right before my wife and I left two years ago, a new member who was a former black baptist minister got up and bore his new "testimony"

HE SANG IT FREESTYLE!

Got all gospel (not the mormon kind) on the pulpit. I looked up in total amazement and almost started to fist pump with the brother. I am a musician and it made me so happy to witness this.

You should have seen the looks of horror in the sacrament crowd. OMG it was amazing.

So sad that this man joined mormonism. I wanted to warn him to get out but my wife and I were still hiding our disbelief at the time.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 12:09PM

I am so jealous.

Growing up across the street from these people was a trip.

http://www.amwaywiki.com/Ledbetter,_Curtis_%26_Virginia

Curtis was a former preacher who converted and Virginia had been into music in her former life with Curtis before joining.

She directed our ward choir all my childhood years and it rocked those of all ages.

When Curtis "bore" his testimony it was like another world. The Bible jumped out at you and he resonated through the chapel.

Many people tolerated it but I was enthralled.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:11PM

Some things never change. Testimony meeting is one of them.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 12:54AM

Yes. Jesus must have been referring to it when he talked about the blind leading the blind.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (sober) ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 02:13AM

I heard about a guy who went to church today! Was that you??

Seriously though, I was sipping my coffee when the person next to me got a message about some guy going to church. Later, some guy, possibly the same guy, showed up wearing a tie.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.