Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 02:42AM

etc., DO NOT call it a winged water fowl who flies sometimes.

By the same token, this German pilot who crashed the plane into the French Alps was not committing suicide. That was a by-product of his act of TERRORISM. He was a terrorist. This was an act of TERRORISM pure and simple.

Anyone who kills 150 people in an act of mass murder is not committing suicide.

Why the media tip toes around the word TERRORIST is beyond me. One of the definitions is
"a person who terrorizes or frightens others." Did Lubitz NOT do this?

There are different kinds of Terrorists and some have nothing to do with Middle Eastern countries (or Middle Eastern religions or any religions at all!) example is Timothy McVeigh.

How is this Lubitz different (in terms of the label of Terrorist) than the 19 from 9/11? He may not be doing it in the name of some religion. But that doesn't mean it is not terrorism.

I wish the media would stop acting like a bunch of wusses and call things what they are. People would trust the media more if they didn't act like the GAs and use watered down words etc.

Anyone agree or not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 02:46AM

Whether he was a terrorist depends on his state of mind and motive.I doubt it matters to the dead,but terrorism has political motives. He may have simply been out of his mind and not cared who died with him.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 02:52AM

He terrorized and frightened others - screw politics. He terrorized people = he is a terrorist.

the 9/11 terrorists were religiously motivated more than political but they are still terrorists.

The MOB in the US were Terrorists. Al Capone was definitely a terrorist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 02:52AM by verilyverily.

Date: March 29, 2015 02:55AM

You asked if people agree with you. I do not. I think he was mentally ill. As for the 9/11 terrorists,they were very much politically motivated as well as religiously.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 07:49PM

That would make almost all murderers and abusers terrorists, as they all terrorize people.

I always thought of a terrorist as being someone with a religious or political aim they are trying force upon others by terrorizing them into it.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 02:58AM

I also disagree. There's no discounting the terror he wrought, but in precise usage, a terrorist is someone who uses terror to advance a political or religious agenda. His agenda appears so far to be purely personal.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 09:06PM

That would make the mormon leadership terrorists. I have no problem putting that label on them. Their goal is to have people comply with their wishes, and fear is their main tactic.

Date: March 29, 2015 09:12PM

I flew into the Phoenix airport yesterday. Every shop(magazine stand) I went to had this story blaring over the TV.

Really? They have to play this story endlessly to people who are getting on and off flights at the airport??? Who is the terrorist? I thought it was a bad idea to play this story over and over at an airport.

Date: March 29, 2015 09:15PM

They blasted this story from every TV in the Phoenix and Seattle airport. Who was being the terrorist?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 02:58AM

can't he just be a suicidal nut case ?

Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 03:18AM

You have a point, of course. I think the media are trying to distinguish this act from the political/religious type of terrorism currently reported in the Middle East and North Africa.

Some might argue that although the victims experienced indescribable terror, his state of mind, as bona dea says, might disqualify this as an act of terrorism in the truest sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 03:29AM by copolt.

Posted by: Lorenzo Snowjob ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 03:52AM

The German co-pilot was apparently mentally ill -- suffering from severe depression. He was clinically sick and was undergoing treatment as such -- not to be confused with a terrorist who has political or religious motivations but is not clinically sick.

Yes, he did cause terror but I don't agree that he fits the classical definition of "terrorist."

Posted by: Dark Lord ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 04:01AM

Terrorism, as we define it, has a political/religious motivation.

This cowardly scumbag was just some whiney suicidal shit who cared nothing about taking 149 innocent lives with him to the grave.

I wish there really was a Hell sometimes, for bastards like this.

Posted by: bakagayjin ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 05:29AM

burn it because it's a witch! Ok, sorry, I couldn't resist that one.

I agree with the others that he doesn't seem to qualify as a traditional terrorist. He seems more like a suicidal narcissist who is so full of himself that he had to drag others into his death.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 05:32AM

That makes him a terrorist in my mind.

Terrorist come in a multitude of varieties. They don't follow a certain tradition of any kind. Currently, there are stereotypical terrorists. This guy was an evil and crazy one and not a political type.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 05:46AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 05:48AM

It is likely that he intended to kill himself by crashing the plain, but mentally ill (severely depressed) often do not see past their mental anguish. It is entirely possible that the co-pilot did not even consider that he would be killing others. If he did not consider the fact that others would die, then it would not have been an intention to kill them. Such things can happen when the mind is not working correctly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 07:54AM by MJ.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 09:21AM

What bothers me is the conversation that he had with his girlfriend some time prior (I think it was about a year prior) in which he predicted that his name would achieve a degree of fame/notoriety in the future. There was more to it than that, but it was enough to make me feel that he was planning this a long time in advance.

Here's a discussion of possible mental issues from which he may have suffered:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/struggle-to-explain-what-motivated-co-pilot-in-doomed-flight/ar-AAaa3LK

Date: March 29, 2015 05:57PM

Yes, interesting, but that does not constitute a terrorist threat nor KNOWLEDGE of the INTENT at the time of the crash.

Lots of people talk about their dreams of becoming famous in the "one day..." sort of context.

Also, that article has experts making speculation as to POSSIBLE causes, but somehow the people here are convinced as to the cause. Makes me wonder.

Date: March 29, 2015 05:57AM

Personally, I trust the media more because they are NOT over hyping this by calling it terrorism before all the facts are known.

Just because an action causes terror does not make it an act of terrorism.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/terrorism
"the use of violent acts to frighten the people in an area as a way of trying to achieve a political goal"

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 07:09AM

verilyverily Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone who kills 150 people in an act of mass
> murder is not committing suicide.

I agree with this statement. I think it was mass murder, with a side effect of suicide. I can even quantify it with a ratio of 150:1.

> Why the media tip toes around the word TERRORIST
> is beyond me.

I think you have things the wrong way around. The media have been calling anyone and everyone that they don't like a terrorist. So much so, that now you think the term should apply to someone that it should not.

> One of the definitions is
> "a person who terrorizes or frightens others."

That definition is WAY too broad. BOO!!!!!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:44AM

verilyverily Wrote:
> etc., DO NOT call it a winged water fowl who flies
> sometimes.
>
> By the same token, this German pilot who crashed
> the plane into the French Alps was not committing
> suicide. That was a by-product of his act of
> TERRORISM. He was a terrorist. This was an act of
> TERRORISM pure and simple.
>
> Anyone who kills 150 people in an act of mass
> murder is not committing suicide.
>
> Why the media tip toes around the word TERRORIST
> is beyond me. One of the definitions is
> "a person who terrorizes or frightens others." Did
> Lubitz NOT do this?
>
> There are different kinds of Terrorists and some
> have nothing to do with Middle Eastern countries
> (or Middle Eastern religions or any religions at
> all!) example is Timothy McVeigh.
>
> How is this Lubitz different (in terms of the
> label of Terrorist) than the 19 from 9/11? He may
> not be doing it in the name of some religion. But
> that doesn't mean it is not terrorism.
>
> I wish the media would stop acting like a bunch of
> wusses and call things what they are. People would
> trust the media more if they didn't act like the
> GAs and use watered down words etc.
>
> Anyone agree or not?

Concerning the "media". They say what the advertisers tell them to say.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:53AM

I just call him a murderer. Like Harris and Klebold. They want to die and they want to take a lot of people with them. I almost said that he may have been more Adam Lanza than Dylan Klebold, but Lubitz managed to function in society pretty much normally. He may also have been planning it for months. There are not enough answers yet to make a definite determination, if that will ever be possible.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 09:27AM

He became a Muslim convert during the six months he had a leave of absence from co-piloting planes.

He's being hailed as a hero on jihadist websites. He had a Muslim girlfriend he'd just recently broken up with, and was a regular visitor at an extremist mosque in Bremen, Germany.

He was just being a good, busybody Muslim who had those around him hoodwinked to his true agenda.

So yeah, he IS being hailed on fanatic websites as an Islamist extremist, who has met his eternal reward for being one of theirs.

Why it isn't in the main press? Because they don't want to embellish it. It is in German news. The news is trying to make him look unstable. Which even if that were so, he still committed mass murder as a jihadist for Islamic extremists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 09:27AM by amyjo.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 09:27AM

summer Wrote:

... he predicted that his name would achieve a degree of fame/notoriety in the future. There was more to it than that, but it was enough to make me feel that he was planning this a long time in advance.

Oh, wow. I hadn't heard that. That really puts him in the same sort of category as the school shooters for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 04:28PM by Greyfort.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 04:21PM

I hadnt heard that and I have been watching a lot.Even if he was Muslim that he isn't necessarily a factor.Most Muslims don't crash planes.Besides his instability is backed up by medical records

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 04:21PM

Date: March 29, 2015 06:00PM

And the vast majority of the people that have or hope to achieve fame in the entertainment industry.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 06:19PM

I get being depressed for a long time and it being so hard that you just can't stand the pain anymore so you kill yourself. What I can never understand is why you have to take people with you. What pleasure can there be in people remembering your name as a psychopath after you are gone? Only my family and a few friends will remember me after I am gone and so what! I will be gone.

Seriously, I wish someone would explain how someone could feel this way and do such a thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 06:20PM by annieg.

Date: March 29, 2015 06:22PM

When a person is depressed, their mind is not working right. He may have been so focused on ending his pain that he did not even think about the fact that he was taking people with him.

You are trying to make sense of a mental condition that causes people to think nonsense is true.

Date: March 29, 2015 07:36PM

This is the German article news leak of the co-pilot being a Muslim convert, and likely jihadist.

http://speisa.com/modules/articles/index.php/item.1086/the-co-pilot-of-the-germanwings-airbus-was-a-convert-to-islam.html

Posted by: bona dea unregisteted ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:15PM

I'll buy that when.and if it is widely reported and some proof is offered.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:30PM

Are you certain that this co-pilot killed all these people willfully, or was it his mental illness that did the job?

Date: March 29, 2015 08:54PM

wine country girl Wrote:
> Are you certain that this co-pilot killed all
> these people willfully, or was it his mental
> illness that did the job?

______________________________________-

The American news has made abundantly clear he knew what he was doing. And that it was deliberate.

The press has been playing up his mental illness ie., depression and doctor's note etc as being responsible for his actions.

Not one news source in America has even broached the subject of his religion. It is all over the German press that he became a Muslim, and spent extensive time recently in the extremist Bremen mosque where he literally stayed days, if not weeks, during his six month absence leave from his job as a co-pilot.

So there is lots more we aren't hearing than we are in the news.

It's all part of the internal investigation ongoing, and we're not privy to what goes on behind the scenes. Why it's all over German airwaves and not ours does beg the question. My guess is because of copycat wannabes. The less the mentally deranged and Islamic jihadists know about these things, the safer the public is from their acting out.. and from creating more hysteria than there already is.

Date: March 29, 2015 08:56PM

His Facebook page was taken down - but his cover picture was a call to arms in Islam. And he's being praised as a hero by other jihadists.

Date: March 29, 2015 08:57PM

BTW, a person can know what they are doing and be deliberate, but all still be caused by a mental illness.

Date: March 29, 2015 08:59PM

MJ Wrote:
> BTW, a person can know what they are doing and be
> deliberate, but all still be caused by a mental
> illness.

Typically though, acts of terrorism are caused by very rational people. They may be touched in the head, but are fully cognizant of their actions.

Date: March 29, 2015 09:14PM

But I do not see the papers saying that they know it was terrorism.

Date: March 29, 2015 09:06PM

I googled it and the article I read says the evidence is sketchy at best,but let's blame am already hated group on the basis of a tabloid report.

Date: March 29, 2015 09:10PM

It doesn't seem unheard of with all the terrorism going on, that a deliberate guided jetliner into the French Alps was more than a merely depressed co-pilot.

I'm waiting on the news. I was incredulous when I read the news from Germany because I'd bought into what the American news was selling.

But it makes sense, In Germany he is being hailed as a terrorist as we speak.

Date: March 29, 2015 09:15PM

Oh, so because it is not "unheard of" that is proves it was?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.