Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 12:34PM

I know that for many this will be boring and looking at family slides; but this is just to prove that TSCC used lying, deception to cover the fact that many members were still polygamous well after 1890. My forbearers helped settle the Little Colorado River Valley in Northern AZ (Joseph City [which used to be called "St. Joseph"). and here's a history of my Great Grandmother aka "The Widow Westover":

" For security from the law, the children grew up under the name of Westover. On the ward records, in school, etc., they would be called by either name, but generally were called Westover and Joanna was often spoken of as "Widow Westover". The children respected him, but usually spoke of him as Brother DeSpain. Eventually the family was advised by church authorities to continue using the name of Westover, as they were all born in the covenant to their mother and her first husband, Lycurgus Westover.
There were seven children born of this union of Joanna and Henry:
• John Lycurgus was given the second name of Lycurgus, Joanna’s first husband, and was born 4 Oct 1880 in St. Joseph
• Mary Sophia was born about two years later, 8 Oct 1882, in Grantsville in her grandparents' home.
• Amelia Christina was born 29 June 1885.
• Electa Drucilla on Mary's birthday, 8 Oct 1887.
• Emma Octavia was born 12 Oct 1889.
• The two younger boys, Albert Oscar and Franz Henry were born 9 Oct 1893 and 10 July 1896. All but Mary were born in St Joseph.
https://familysearch.org/photos/stories/7161729?returnLabel=Sven%20Eriksson%20(KWJN-HDS)&returnUrl=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Ftree%2F%23view%3Dancestor%26person%3DKWJN-HDS%26spouse%3DKWJN-HD9%26parents%3DKWV9-BBF_LZ22-GKC%26section%3Dmemories

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 12:40PM

Yes, people who were practicing polygamy before the Manifesto continued to practice it. They didn't break up existing polygamous families. The bigger issue is whether the church sanctioned NEW polygamous marriages. There is evidence it did.

Posted by: lvskeptic ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 12:51PM

I believe that you will find that most families that were polygamous before the 1st Manifesto continued to "cohabit", as it was called. The US government was not happy with that, but turned a blind eye to the practice.

The real issue is the number of people who married polygamously after the Manifesto.

Date: March 28, 2015 01:00PM

Sanford Porter; baptized into the church before it was a church (1829). Then his son Sanford Porter, Jr. kept up the legacy:

"For Sanford Porter, born in Massachusetts in 1790, the gospel was the answer to the prayers of a lifetime. His father had looked for an apostolic church all of his life, and his son inherited both that stubborn belief and an equally stubborn resistance to any substitute. A phrenologist had characterized Sanford as “very self-willed and determined … almost obstinate … very hard to please … will never give one inch in argument” and Sanford’s life proved the truth of all those statements.

Religion was an unfailing interest of his, and he was willing to talk about it with anyone, “but I found none that could reasonably convince me that I was wrong, and show me that they were rite.” The confusion of the different sects finally led him to doubt the Bible. He was living in Vermont in 1818 when his hunger to know became a torment. One question-prayer ran unceasingly through his mind: “Oh is there a god, if there is a god, may I know the way that is wright?” He fasted three days and nights. Too restless to sit or stand still, he paced the barn by day and the house by night.
Although he had told no one the cause of his anguish, he was uninterrupted—even by his wife and children—all this time. Then on the third night, in the barn, he heard a “voyce, plain and distinct, … there is a god, that has known the Desires of your heart this number of years, and I have been sent to instruct you. I am to show you three times this night the way that is wright, that you need never doubt.” (Italics added.)

His first response, naturally, was surprise. His second response, characteristically, was suspicion. He flung open the barn door looking for the prankster but found three inches of unbroken snow outside. Still not satisfied, he went to the house and searched not only the rooms but the barrels in the attic. Convinced but puzzled, he sat by the fire and then realized that “all my pains … and all my former troubles” had left at the sound of the voice and that he felt “quiet and peacible.” Then it seemed that his spirit left his body and returned to the barn, where he met a personage dressed in brilliant white who repeated his message and showed him in vision the life of the Savior, the creation of Adam
and Eve, and his own place in the plan. Filled with joy, Sanford accepted the vision and never doubted the existence of God again.

Years later, his business partner sent to him two missionaries with a letter explaining that they “had set the methodist and baptist professors all in an uprore … and he wanted me to search them to the bottom … and let him know what I thought of them.” After three exhausting days and nights of questioning, he admitted, “Well, gentlemen, if you have told the truth, and I have no doubt but what you have, your church is wright and the only church on Earth that is wright.”

No mere persecutions made him change his mind. When he came to Utah, he was presiding elder in Circleville, Utah, and its first bishop until he moved away to found Porterville in Morgan County.
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1978/09/challenge-to-greatness-the-nineteenth-century-saints-in-new-york?lang=eng&query=Sanford+Porter

https://familysearch.org/photos/images/7189027?returnLabel=Sanford%20Porter%20Jr%20(KWJ8-KD6)&returnUrl=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Ftree%2F%23view%3Dancestor%26person%3DKWJ8-KD6%26spouse%3DKWJ8-KD8%26parents%3DKWJT-VMZ_KWJT-VMH%26section%3Dmemories

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 01:28PM

Wives who wanted to stay in plural marriage did so up until the 1950s when the last ones died.

There were also new marriages after 1890 among Mormon polygamists in Mexico and with special permission in SLC.

Right now in Juab county and to a lesser extent in other areas, Mormon ward-members might have more than one wife but keep it hush-hush. Mormon bishops and members look the other way and stay mum or they're not very observant and believe whatever lies the polygamists tell.

Date: March 28, 2015 01:32PM

Well of course they kept performing polygamous marriages after 1890--Which is why in 1904 Joseph Fielding Smith had to put out the 2nd Manifesto. Most of the polygamous marriages were performed in Mexico or Canada.

Yet, two apostles (John W. Taylor & Matthias Crowley) quit when it was enforced.
http://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/catalog/75gye6ep9780252018336.html

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 02:34PM

Stray Mutt is spot on about new marriages vs ongoing plyg births.

My Mom was actually plyg-born in 1907 and had sibs born until 1922.

As a quirk of crazy mormon fate, it is through my Mom's birth that I am a cousin to Stray Mutt, both through polygamy and polyandry.

Stupid mormons.

Posted by: wanderingbutnotlost ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 05:53PM

Hurray for F. W. Cox.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 06:26PM

To clarify, Cousin Shummy, "wanderingbutnotlost" is my screen name when I post from my phone.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 06:43PM

wanderingbutnotlost Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hurray for F. W. Cox.

aka Grandpa "Renta" Cox

:o)

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: March 28, 2015 05:47PM

One of my best friends in high school and college was a direct descendant of BY's younger brother. All his direct lineage were polygamists. My friend's father (who was a faithful Latter Day Saint until his death at 96 lived six months in Salt Lake with his wife (my friend's mother) and lived six months under the same roof with his "claimed" former wife in Idaho. One time my friend's mother complained and asked "why does he have to go and live with that other women?" He also visited often with the children of that marriage. He named his eldest son from the "former" marriage as the executor of his estate.

How many individuals live half the year with their ex-wife? I'm sure something more was going on here than anyone wanted to admit.

Regardless of what TSCC claims today, the former leaders very clearly taught that only polygamists become gods and D&C section 132 still states the same. I'm willing to bet that there are many more "closet" LDS polygamists than the church would ever admit.

Edited Addition: I initially failed to mention that my friend's father was married to a third women (before the Idaho marriage), but she died at a young age. All three marriages took place in the temple. So any way you want to consider it, he clearly died as a polygamist sealed to three wives. Polygamy is alive and well in the mormon church.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2015 06:12PM by Templar.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 12:32AM

practiced polygamy after 1890. I'm not sure the dates, but my great-grandmother was one of 3 wives. One of the other wives was her sister. My great-grandmother nursed my great-grandfather until his death of prostate cancer in the 1940s. I believe she was his last living wife. I don't know a whole lot about it, just the little bit my parents told me the last few years before they died.

Personally, I detest genealogy. I think it comes from being Mormon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.