Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 02:16PM

I got an email the other day that typifies the response I frequently receive from folks who end up projecting their own over-the-top approach to issues that they say I'm inflicting on them by expressing my opinion.

I had produced an artistically simple point of view that contained a total of ten (as in 10) words. It sent the complainer into something of a fit (or so it appeared), prompting him to rocket iver the following reaction (edited down considerably):

"Good Morning Steve.

"We can always look forward to a great . . . rant from you, can’t we? Please think for a minute . . . . I understand and actually respect your enthusiasm . . . but it’s . . . the mentally ill . . . we all should fear. . . .

"Sorry for the long winded speech, but your drawings often get me worked up."
____

"Long-winded," indeed.

I replied:

"I can see that you’re the one ranting now. I do a cartoon that you can’t handle, and you react by sending me a single-spaced 449-word epistle. Hit your hot button, eh?"

So far, no long-winded reply back. :)

(By the way, I didn't actually total up the grumpers's number of words; that would have been too tedious. I simply hit the designated computer key and "Word" kicked me out the result in two seconds. Technology is, like, so amazing).
_____

I'm struck by how oblivious some folks seem to be when it comes to their own behavior, especially when it mirrors the kind of reflexive reaction (and then some) which they accuse me of displaying. It shouldn't really surprise me, since We all have our blind spots.

But, I tell ya, everyday's a human psychology class for me--where I have a very large classroom of eagerly-participating students volunteerng to be lab rats.

:)

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2015 03:00PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.