Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 12:32PM

Jordan
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/03/21/00/26D9D00300000578-0-image-m-12_1426897645781.jpg

Christina Aguilera
http://cdn.sosueme.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/chrsitina.jpg

Michelle Keegan
http://images.dailystar-uk.co.uk/dynamic/140/photos/162000/127162.jpg

Frankie Sanford
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/03/article-0-0C62C7CB00000578-600_224x540.jpg

Lindsay Lohan
http://media.twirlit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/lindsay-lohan-orange.jpg

Bain de Soleil Magazine Ad (1983)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/antbabe/more%20photos/moremoremore/harpersbazaar_may83_bainsoleilad_zps6c512977.jpg

Tyra Banks
http://www.celebritypic.tk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Tyra-Banks-19.jpg

Imagine young women from the 1930s, 1940s or 1950s looking like this. They just aren't "tan" but brown -- and they want to stay that way. I really don't see how in this era the Brethren can keep the "Book Of Mormon" narrative unchanged. Parents are still teaching their children this but then they grow up and become the same shade of brown that most American blacks are -- many of whom are of mixed ancestry themselves.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2015 05:33PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 12:57PM

If God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, why'd he quit turning people, and their descendants black for being evil?
I asked a couple of missioanries that yesterday after telling them that their church was the most racist church on the planet.
Their response, "Uh, what about the KKK?"
"Uh, the KKK isn't a church and they don't claim, in scripture, that God turned whole races of people black because of something their forefathers did."

Posted by: wanderingbutnotlost ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 02:48PM

It used to be that light skin meant you were wealthy enough to not need to work outdoors. Poor people were tan. That changed with the Industrial Age when more people started working in factories. Suddenly, having a tan meant you were a person of leisure -- rich enough to spend your time on your yacht, playing tennis, golf, etc. and. Winter tan meant you could travel while the peons slaved for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2015 02:50PM by wanderingbutnotlost.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 03:04PM

The idea that God color-coded people according to righteousness wasn't always a thing. I read that in ancient times it really wasn't always, the Egyptians were many shades and it didn't seem to matter. I think it really kicked in when Americans decided to buy African slaves. Of course it was British, Dutch and other European colonists who started this. They used their religion to justify it. The bible has plenty of verses to use in justifying it. It was then less than 100 years after formation of the US that slavery festered as an ideological injustice under enlightenment principles and culminated in civil war.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 06:21PM

rationalist01 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The idea that God color-coded people according to
> righteousness wasn't always a thing. I read that
> in ancient times it really wasn't always, the
> Egyptians were many shades and it didn't seem to
> matter. I think it really kicked in when
> Americans decided to buy African slaves. Of
> course it was British, Dutch and other European
> colonists who started this. They used their
> religion to justify it. The bible has plenty of
> verses to use in justifying it. It was then less
> than 100 years after formation of the US that
> slavery festered as an ideological injustice under
> enlightenment principles and culminated in civil
> war.

arabs sold slaves first, then the europeans got in on the act. The british were late comers in slavery and the first to start the abolition of slavery. Arabs and some muslim countries still use slaves

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 03:41PM

I've wondered that for years.

I guess it's like these Midwestern farm boys I see around my small town. They are lily-white boys. Proudly sporting the confederate flag on the back window of their pickup trucks, they talk quite freely about how they hate *N-word* people.

What's hypocritical to the point of nausea is that they talk and dress like hip-hop wannabees with their slang, backwards caps, and baggy, drooping trousers exposing their underwear, playing rap music with the horrendously thump-thumping bass on their vehicle subwoofers.

I asked one kid (who did all of the above)with whom I worked about it. He got so mad! Told me I just didn't understand.

"Right. I don't." was my reply.

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 03:58PM

Yeah, and look at Michael Jackson!

Oops...

(never mind)

Posted by: europa ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:13PM

I think 'orange' should be a recognised as a new skin colour. Some of these fake tans make people look like an Oompa Loompa. Where I live loads of people are caked in it and it is not attractive. Especially when the palms of their hands are bright orange because they forgot to wash them after application.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:37PM

darkies want to be white, whites want to be darker. It's a strange world? Brunettes prefer blondes and blondes brunettes.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:41PM

Posted by: single guy ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:44PM

If I could have my wish I'd want to be with a very beautiful intelligent tall black-skinned beautiful woman. But if she isn't beautiful to me then I'll take some other beautiful intelligent woman, regardless of her skin color.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:53PM

That's her natural skin tone.

Tanned skin tone denotes higher class, wealth, luxury, leisure and privilege. It tells people "All I have to do is work on my tan while the peasants toil away." Of course, the opposite was in fashion 100 years ago.

Darker toned women, including those in Asia, sometimes use skin lighteners to appear whiter, so it's also a cultural construct. There's also a not-so-secret secret with African skin tone that, "The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice, but too much black and it's ain't got no use!"

So at this time, you want to be tanned, but not couch leather. It's okay to be "ethnic" but not TOO dark.

Posted by: Satan ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 10:28PM

While he was on his "gap Year" (Okay, 33 years) on earth. Probably would have been run out of Utah on a rail 30-40 years back. Being the inclusive guy that I am, I always say it doesn't matter what color your skin is, just as long as you moisturize.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.