Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 07:58AM

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2311033-155/utah-wine-store-management-shakeup-stirs?fullpage=1

Most of this is pretty comical but the treatment of their long term employees is shameful.

I'll just keep boot legging like I normally do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 08:22AM

"We do not comment on confidential personnel matters"

IOW, the reporter is the bad guy for trying to get a public official to tell the truth.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 09:03AM

Letter I just sent the governor. I also sent this link to the 4 local news outlets in SLC...yes even KSL.
======================================================

DABC abuse of long time employees. See the SL Trib link:

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2311033-155/utah-wine-store-management-shakeup-stirs

Mr. Governor, this treatment highlighted in the Tribune link is just wrong. First...you don't treat a State employee of 20 years like this. Second you don't ignore the people the DABC serves. We are YOUR constituents also. Third, Let liquor sales go private and save the state alot of money while creating many private sector jobs and money more taxpayers. It's basic economics. The state becomes a joke to people from out of state (like myself) who are lured here for good jobs, only to have to deal with this draconian system that serves my, and many others' needs.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 11:22AM

The Utah DABC is not just the product of the LDS lobbyist influence. Lots of other states -- like Vermont and Maryland -- run DABC stores. So to target just the LDS influence will ultimately be unproductive.

I'll probably write a separate post on this, but if you want to see the liquor laws changed, the State Senate is where you need to go. The House under Lockhart was actually fairly reasonable, but nearly everything gets stymied in the Senate.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:25PM

Not Maryland -- at least, not to my knowledge. We have privately owned liquor stores here. I have at least three stores within a few minutes drive of me. I could walk to one of them if I wish.

We did have blues laws for many years, with liquor stores being closed on Sundays. That changed some time ago. I would love to see beer and wine sold in grocery stores, as some states do. But I don't see that happening here anytime soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2015 05:26PM by summer.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:56PM

Bullshit. Any liquor legislation gets vetted by "the" church. Last year, Christofferson held a press conference on the subject of relaxing Zion curtain laws. To say the church doesn't run the DABC is being extremely disingenuous to this board.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 06:08PM

Read what I wrote.

"The Utah DABC is not just the product of the LDS lobbyist influence"

There's more than just the LDS influence at work. Even if you win over the LDS lobbyists, you still have a host of issues to address.

And Maryland uses a DABC system on a county-by-county basis. See, eg:
http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/dlc/

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 02:04PM

without the SLTrib, truths / stories like these would b lost on 99% of the Utah population...

just sayin'

Utah SUCKS THE BIG ONE.

(Washington State, at behest of Costco + a few others, dumped our state monopoly lately; stats <$, social effects> will be updated soon.)

Washington has 'always' sold beer/wine in grocery stores, No Biggie on that.

One clear-cut shame here was loss of state-benefitted who worked at the state stores.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:00PM

Therein lies the rub. They have no idea how to properly serve their customer. Utah is trying to promote upscale travel destinations, such as Deer Valley, but is failing at providing upscale liquor service for such restaurants.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:47PM

I like how the state guy bragged about the efficacy of centralized ordering for distribution. Suddenly he's Marxist? Alcohol does cause some behavioral problems, I see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2015 05:49PM by donbagley.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.