Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 02:17AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 04:19AM

I forgot all about those! The Mormon woman thugs would sometimes kidnap young women to...well, for a...I have no idea why, except to exert pressure you young girls, and teach them that the cult is the boss of them.

My daughter was elected Laurel president, or something, and she begged me to go to our family cabin that weekend, which we did, but the weekend after that, they surprised her. Everyone was nicely dressed, but my daughter, still in her babyish nightgown, and the local I-hop. Is this sorrority hazing, or what.

At least they fed her. When they dragged my sons out of bed, they weren't even allowed to wash their faces.

I screamed "abuse" at the priesthood leaders, and wrote a letter to one of my GA relatives. When my sons slept in the next time (they were exhausted by 2 mountain-terrain paper routes, on bicycles, in the snow, hauling very thick, heavy Sunday papers) the Priesthood leaders wanted to show me up! They broke into our house again, with ALL of the Priesthood boys, and held their meetings in my living room, with my sons in their pajamas.

These adults acted like goons. They were immature, insecure bullies, who refused to obey a strong working woman who repeatedly had told them to leave her property, who repeatedly had yelled at them "I am the head of this household! I'm the parent of these children. Get. Out."

Date: March 21, 2015 11:02AM

I am sorry, Breeze...what you describe sounds abusive and horrible.

The kidnap breakfasts I was referring to (which I posted about a month or so ago) were a long-standing tradition (and inside joke) at my high school...EVERYONE knew they were going to happen and, within a few days or so, WHEN...ALL of the parents were phoned in advance, told what was going to happen, and told to make sure their entrance doors were unlocked by 5:00 AM. All of the new girls (and at least most of the guys) got up at 3:30 or 4:00 AM to brush teeth, get washed, get hair done, dress in p.j.'s suitable for the first three periods of school after the breakfast (with bra and panties underneath for the girls), and put on makeup that looked like it wasn't makeup. And then we went back to bed and waited to be "awakened" by the "kidnappers."

It was an "initiation" of sorts for the newly-elected Student Body Cabinet (the school officers, from student body president down to the various "chairmen").

It was semi-embarrassing...and simultaneously an honor...and it connected all of us in a warm and respected "genealogy" with those who had gone before us, and those who would follow us in the future, long after we ourselves eventually died. (My high school was opened in 1914. After Pearl Harbor, we had students who were taken out of school and interned in Manzanar, etc. for the duration. We had been a filming location since the early days of silent films, so our historical reality---at least on film---would endure "forever"...we felt ourselves to be a part of the history of Hollywood itself...we were VERY proud of our truly beautiful school (Greek columns, and the beautiful remains of what had earlier been a wonderful Greek theatre on our campus as our main walkway between buildings, etc.).

The "kidnap breakfasts" at the end of each semester forged a new link in a historical legacy we all felt ourselves to be a part of...and because the "kidnapees," after the breakfast, then went through the first three periods of school in pajamas (we went directly from the breakfast to school, hopefully in time to make the opening bell), it became a tradition that included everyone in the school: all of our students, all of our faculty, and our school staff of office workers, janitorial staff, etc.. It was something everyone got included in, and everyone could smile about.

What you and your daughter went through was awful, and I would have been just as angry as you were (and felt just as victimized as your daughter).

I am sorry.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2015 12:04PM by tevai.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:15PM

Breeze, I’ve heard bits of your story reiterated on the board many times. I never get tired of hearing it. It always reminds me of a friend from high school who I met up with again quite a few years back.

He told me how his wife came from some crazy religion (maybe Mormon, maybe JW, he never said which religion). Anyway, he told me about how when they first married, her church wasn’t very approving of their marriage. He recounted how one day there was this group of men dressed in suits inside his house telling them how things were going to be. His bedroom would be here, and her bedroom would be there, and so on and so forth. They had this whole list of crazy rules they were ‘going to abide by.’

We had been quite close during our school years, and I knew his background and upbringing well. To us, it was mind blowing that someone would think they can come into someone else’s house and dictate how things were going to be inside a person’s own private home. How bizarre. Of course they didn’t comply, and he promptly kicked their asses out for good. I don’t see how some of the actions you describe, Breeze, wouldn’t be considered criminal acts in a court of law.

Anyway, your stories always remind me of that friend of mine (I’m out of touch with him again now). Your stories also echo how my Mormon neighbors will walk right into our yard and snoop around when we’re not home as well. It’s crazy how entitled they delude themselves into thinking they are. Just crazy. Thanks again for sharing your stories.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:34PM

Date: March 21, 2015 05:37PM

^^^ ^^^ ^^^

I totally agree. :(

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:37AM

"Hello, 911! I have a home invasion in progress! My address is..."

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 04:50PM

I was going to ask what kind of ransom does a breakfast kidnapper expect? Pay up now or your breakfast is toast!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:21PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Pay up now or your breakfast is toast!

Oh how waffle!

Date: March 21, 2015 05:31PM

Shummy Wrote:
> donbagley Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> Pay up now or your breakfast is toast!
>
>
> Oh how waffle!

:) :) :)

Hi, Shummy!!!

:D

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:44PM

couldn't be butter

Date: March 21, 2015 05:26PM

donbagley Wrote:
> I was going to ask what kind of ransom does a
> breakfast kidnapper expect? Pay up now or your
> breakfast is toast!

:D :D :D

I think the "ransom" was automatically paid: those who kidnapped were of both genders...and those who were kidnapped were of both genders...and when ELSE would a teenager get the opportunity to just walk into a home not their own and get the teenager (male or female, very possibly of the opposite gender than you) "sleeping" there out of bed??? ;)

It was an adult-sanctioned moment that forecasted our own, soon-to-be adult life...a moment when WE were considered, in some sense, as being adults---at least, for that one, first, amazingly impactful, instant in time...and the aura of that was part of the fun for everyone in school once we got there and our first period classes had begun.

In some sense, us walking down the hall, or working through our English or history classes, or our trig problems "as usual," but dressed in pajamas, with everyone in school knowing that we had been "kidnapped" out of bed by a team which included both genders, was a moment of victory for everyone...because it signified that adulthood was near, and we of the junior and senior classes were almost over the coming-of-age finish line.

Those of us who were the newly elected, first time, incoming Student Body Cabinet members were, in some real sense, surrogates for every student in our school, "saying" to teenagers, and to the adults, alike:

Here we are. We [our age cohort] have [almost] arrived...and we are very nearly ready to take our own unique place in the adult real world.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:42PM

All of us seniors made sure to call the parents to let them know what was going on. We then picked up our charges after they were finished getting ready (I think the parents called us to let us know?) and took them out for breakfast.

Yanking someone out of bed and throwing them in a car is sick IMNSHO. You don't know what could go wrong or what health issues that person might have. At worst, it could end up like the movie Jawbreaker. O_O

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 05:58PM

Thanks guys, it was only a brain fart.

Speaking of which, being dragged out of bed reminded me of my BYU days.

I took a certain pride in the fact that for my whole year there I never once attended their weekly crumbled bread feast.

Anyway there were a couple of peter priesthoods who took it upon themselves to enter our apartment and drag me out of bed for a Sunday torture session.

Lucky for them I am a peaceful man who only weilds curse words and they got the message.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 06:18PM

My old ward actually had to ban these "kidnappings" after some Laurels hazed some MIA Maids in a particularly vicious & humiliating manner out in public.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 06:46PM

The 1st college I attended (not my choice) was such a snobby exclusive girls' school that sororities were not allowed. Instead there were the "Pink Panthers" and "Red Devils" which alternated years so my "Red Devil Big Sister" was a junior my freshman year. With no heads up whatsoever one night early in the semester they busted up in our rooms at 3 am while we were asleep to red devil kidnap us to go eat donuts or something. In my sleep I responded if they were red devils then why don't they go back to hell where red devils belong. Didn't do much for my social standing but I still think it was a stupid idea.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.