Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PolyJoe ( )
Date: March 20, 2015 10:39PM

If you haven't joined this board in addition to this one you're missing out.

I recently started a discussion there and wanted to get your thoughts on it here and/or over there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 20, 2015 10:40PM

and what board would that be?

Posted by: cupcakelicker (drunk) ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 12:00AM

The existence of other boards is just an urban legend.

Wasn't Utah's statehood contingent on a ban of polygamy? It'd take an amendment to the Utah constitution or a federal law overriding Article 3 thereof, which reads in part:

Perfect toleration of religious sentiment is guaranteed.
No inhabitant of this State shall ever be molested in
person or property on account of his or her mode of
religious worship; but polygamous or plural marriages
are forever prohibited.

Pretty blunt. The cult might be able to rally the penis holders to amend it, but their wives would cancel every last vote.

Date: March 21, 2015 12:48AM

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

It's my recollection that a mormon'ish polygamist has a reality TV show. The show started in Utah, but reliance on Article 3 had local authorities trying to prosecute him. So they moved to Vegas, but in the meantime a federal remedy was sought, and a federal judge ended up ruling that Utah could prosecute bigamy, where a man got two marriage licenses (or more), but could not prosecute a guy who had one legal wife and one or more additional 'pretend' wives.

That created the theoretical possibility of a TBM to have one Utah wife and one or more additional mormon wives, to whom he was sealed in the temple. But there could be no attempt gain state approval of the additional marriages. These would just be agreed upon private contracts.

I hope it happens!

Posted by: sd allison ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 12:20AM

Why would the church do that? I don't see any interest from the general authorities.

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 12:30AM

$$$$$$$$

Think of all the FLDS members that would come back into the fold and all the ones that would come out of the shadows.

Trust me, there are plenty of mormons chomping at the bit to get back into polygamy.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 02:39AM

It wouldn't be a good political move.

Date: March 21, 2015 02:52AM

Especially in light of their pogrom(sic) to defend "traditional" marriage.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 03:08AM

Apparently TSCC is too busy lobbying for more controls on sales of alcohol.

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 03:18AM

The church has been trying to distance itself from polygamy the past couple of decades (maybe more). If it wants to practice polygamy again I think they'll do it gradually, not out of the blue.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (drunk) ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 04:18AM

poin0 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The church has been trying to distance itself from
> polygamy the past couple of decades (maybe more).
> If it wants to practice polygamy again I think
> they'll do it gradually, not out of the blue.

Gradually? I'm actually curious as to how this would work.

1. Reinstate polygamy.
2. ?
3. Prophet!

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 10:11AM

They would quietly let polygamous members join without punishment or excommunication. Very similar to baptizing illegals even though they are breaking the law.

All they need to do is send out a directive to stake leaders saying not to anything. Once polygamy is declared officially legal in the state, then you would start to see changes.

As members attitudes slowly change around the polygamists in their wards, the church eventually would announce that it does not encourage members to practice polygamy but that any members that are polygamous are still in good standing. After a few more years an announcement would come after much prayer and fasting that the lord has permitted those who wish to practice polygamy can do so and that they would receive the lords blessings. Monogamous marriage would still be the standard and polygamy would be for those who think they are "ready". There would be no directive to push members into the practice.

Tah dah! Polygamy is back!

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 03:49AM

There's been such a polar shift of it during the 20th century. I don't know if they can go back? It is the same for a lot of doctrines. Think about consecration. It would be a cold day in Hell before the Bretheren would share with the Mexicans. Or encourage the "gathering" once again.

Can you imagine the GA's giving up their mansions?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 03:58AM

Polygamy is legal. Recent court decisions have made that
plain. The old Edmunds-Tucker act would be declared
unconstitutional today. The prohibition in the Utah
constitution wouldn't hold up in a federal-court challenge.

That's why they don't enforce it any more.

The church was started by wild-eyed radicals who broke from the
surrounding culture. Polygamy was part of that break.

The Modern church is run by old men who were conservative
businessmen and church functionaries. They are embarrassed by
our polygamous history. They are trying to get the Church to
look respectable. The last thing they would consider is a
return to polygamy.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 06:13AM

But if it were publicly confirmed as legal, bloggers could then argue that TBMs could practice polygamy because it is not against the law and in accordance with section 132.

Although the declaration bans it, it was only because of the action being threatened by the USA.

Making all of this public and news worthy, getting coverage on national news as a freedom issue would spook some TBMs.

The end game is to put the church into yet another complex position. Polygamy and polyandry are apparently doctrinal. With all legal restrictions removed they'll have to come up with reasons not to live that higher law. It will expose the stupidity of the cult again.

Further it will frighten some TBMs if the counter arguments are weak.

Posted by: needaname ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 09:12AM

Heck, I wish they would - it'd be a public opinion bullet in the gut from which they'd never recover.

They'd instantly alienate every other mainline religion in the world, especially those in the US they've been trying so hard to suck up to for the last 50 years. The religious rightwing would immediately put them into the same bucket as Islam, and the talk radio waves would light up making that very connection. Best of all, longtime members would find it impossible to swallow - they'd be unable to ignore the cognitive dissonance any more and and leave in droves. Yes, I think it would be a fine thing indeed.

Posted by: needaname ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 09:15AM

Sorry, *almost* every other mainline religion in the world - Islam is certainly a world religion, if only a minor one in the US.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 09:55AM

The church is not at all interested in polygamy, if they could find a way to purge it from their history they would. They hate polygamy and see it as a PR disaster that distracts the media from the image they wish to portray...

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 10:20AM

Big Love

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 10:22AM

Remember that the prophet Gordon B. Hinckley said that polygamy is "not doctrinal"!

Hmm, well, I guess he doesn't count, because he's a *dead* prophet.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 10:40AM

LDS Inc has spent the last 60 years reimagining itself as the defender of the traditional nuclear family. If they were to abandon that and go back to their roots it would unleash a nast schism within the church.

Want to help push the teetering So Called Church over the cliff? Get a court ruling on the books that polygamy is protected by the first ammendment of the constitution and watch the ultra conservative members start questionong why the church hasn't returned to this once core doctrine which was only abandoned as an accomodation to disinfranchisement and statehood.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 10:44AM

Their are weird mormons, but their are also a lot of successful mormons. A lot of time and energy has been spent trying to project a mainstream, "American as apple pie" image, they are not about to go back to being social outcasts.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 11:10AM

Polygamy IS legal in many countries where they have branches. They still don't allow it among members.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.