Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 09:19AM

I just dusted off my copy of the Givens' Crucible of Doubt for some reason this morning. On pages 80-82, they give their hypothesis of how church history can be whitewashed for 150 years, but then have the church make amends and become more transparent, without it faulting the truthfulness of the church or casting doubt that the Brethren do indeed have oracles that do indeed work... some of the time, anyway.

I purchased the book some months ago thinking I needed to give the 'other side' one last fair chance before I made up my mind. This was after reading the CES letter and the church essays all the way through and making contact with RfM for the first time.

I think I was disappointed, but I've noticed even more now why that was so. The book uses the right amount polite victim-blaming and coaxing to persuade the reader into infinite generosity with church history and the Brethren's faults.

Even in admitting that we were wrong about so much, they do it in a way that feels like we were never wrong. After all our persecutions and the Martyrdom of Joseph Smith we were only acting out of passion, cultural prejudices, and presuppositions that carried us to exaggeration and and innocent whitewashing of church history in an true believer vs. persecuting gentile fashion.

They left me with some questions though. Who was Leonard J Arrington? They mention his "reforms initiated and then aborted," under his "professionalization of the church history department." (p. 81) What? Why was that stopped? Did that have anything to do with the Brethren?

They go on to say that "transparency and completeness have become the new norm" today (p. 81). The Brethren are not trained in professional church history, but they are figuring it all out. "That [the peculiarities of the Mormon past] are slow making their way into lesson manuals and Church history curricula is certainly true. That they are now coming to infuse Latter-day Saint websites and official publications––and will do so with increasing effectiveness––is equally apparent." (p. 82).

Finishing that chapter, I'm left with impression that the Givens still believe in the Brethren's infallibility in a way. Even though they spend the whole chapter explaining how the Brethren can be wrong sometimes, their thesis is that we are still under an obligation to hear to assume that their words are the words of the Lord first, and then privately––if we wish and if we have sufficient connection with the holy spirit––we can work out what is of man and what is of God.

My question to the Givens is: if the church, specifically the Brethren and the superstructure of believing members that hang on to their every word, can be wrong, if "hindsight shows some policies and practices to have been less than immutable," if "cultural prejudices and presuppositions" can afflict a system that's supposed to be sea-worthy, then why bother with it at all?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 09:41AM

It's a good question. The particular problem is that the organizational structure offers no effective internal check on those "cultural prejudices and presuppositions" that the leaders have.

The only option is to vote with your feet. Leave.

So even if the LDS Church changes its stripes on being somewhat more transparent about history, relaxes its tone or even policies toward LGBT individuals, there will always be another issue where the backwardness of the leaders presents an insurmountable barrier to change--at least in the near to medium term.

And if they can be wrong in hindsight, just like me, why should I be slavishly obedient to them?

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 10:12AM

snowball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> And if they can be wrong in hindsight, just like
> me, why should I be slavishly obedient to them?

beautifully sums it all up.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 10:16AM

And in my opinion, which helped me question and leave the church, a rational God would NOT want me to blindly obey but to use my mind and follow my own conscience if I feel strongly about something.

Its seems to defeat the purpose of restoring the God's church on earth and having living prophets if they can't teach us correct principles and they lead us to falsehoods.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 10:18AM

Isn't that book just another exposition of the doubt your doubts crapola?

Doubt is only useful and productive if it leads to sincere investigation and discovery. Not squashing more sh!t onto your mental shelf.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 10:20AM

My questions for the Givens are many.

Among them:

Can you tell me the date and time when the leaders of the church stopped teaching false doctrines?

Can you show me the official church statement in which they acknowledge errors of the past and "covenant" (their word) to be totally honest and forthright with the membership?

Can you provide sufficient evidence that the big 15 really understand, empathize, and care about the struggles of members face when they find out they have been lied to by the leadership they trusted?

Fiona has stated that she and Terrell find the church "so beautiful that even if it were false they would continue believing in it". Do the Givens think that is an ethical position to take, and if so, is it ethical to ask others to do the same?

Do the Givens really think that a person can choose what to believe as if they were choosing from a menu? Can someone say "I'll take the Mormon infallibility with a side dish of Norse mythology" and really mean it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 10:20AM by generationofvipers.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 01:23PM

generationofvipers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Fiona has stated that she and Terrell find the
> church "so beautiful that even if it were false
> they would continue believing in it".

Reply: It is false, and you do continue believing in it.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 01:38PM

"Fiona has stated that she and Terrell find the
church "so beautiful that even if it were false
they would continue believing in it".

I'm sorry, Fiona and Terrell, but that goes against my sense of integrity. So, although you think beautiful lies are worthy things to spread, go ahead. It tells me a lot about who you two are.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 10:25AM

"The Crucible of Doubt: Reflections on the Quest for Faith" - it's the "Quest for Faith" part which I am referring to.

I remember as a youth sitting in Seminary and the theme of the lesson was that the "gospel" was part of a greater journey of truth, and the that finding truth was the ultimate goal. That really resonated with me. I had my doubts, but I could really get on board with searching and finding truth.

The Givens are on a "quest for faith" not truth. They really love the "gospel" and associated culture, etc., and they're trying to help people find enough reasons to stay the course. Of course, they're going to have to dig for some rationalizations to make that work.

I read this book by Jonathan Haidt that hypothesizes that the human psyche is like a rider on an elephant. The rider is the conscious mind and the elephant is the subconscious and it wants stuff. The rider thinks he's in control of the elephant and is sometimes, but then the elephant just does what it wants and the rider goes into damage control mode and makes up rationalizations for what the elephant does or wants. Many times our rider is just a lawyer for our elephant and our conscious mind goes into overdrive being its rationlizer and excuse maker.

I've been to one of Givens' seminars and they are bright, sincere and truly empathetic people, but they are not on a journey of truth. If you're on a journey for truth, you will find that the Givens' reasoning falls short.

Posted by: DWaters ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 10:57AM

God bless the Givens...their brand of apologetics is so hilarious. It's the equivelent of saying that a serial rapist is much better because they don't rape as much anymore. Oh and it's "beautiful"!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 11:04AM by DWaters.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 11:09AM

"Dear member, our past prophets were "men of their time" who said stupid things, but our present prophets are great men who say great things. Just don't ask in 50 years about our present prophets, who will then be "men of their time" who said..."

Posted by: Jael ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 11:23AM

My RS pres brought me this book when she heard I was taking a break from church. A permanent break, most likely.

When I read the book, all I kept thinking was that they were talking about a completely different church. They sound like two people who are desperately trying to figure out how to make the church work for them. They have some good insights, but those can apply to any religion.

After reading this, I decided that everything good in the church can also be found outside the church. All of the good can even be found outside of religion. All it did was solidify my decision to walk away.

Thanks, Terryl and Fiona! :)

Posted by: Elder Strangelove ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 08:55PM

Agreed. Listening to their Mormon Stories interview I wondered how their views help anyone struggling with the church. They're not offering resolutions compatible with actual church teaching. I don't know which church they were attempting to explain, but it isn't the one I grew up in.

Posted by: europa ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 03:31PM

God is not an author of confusion. But since he keeps changing his mind so it's hard to tell what he approves of these days. No wonder the poor church has a hard time keeping up with and explaining his little games.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 03:47PM

They both left the church. There is an update interview on mormonstories podcasts.

Date: March 19, 2015 04:47PM

Do you have a link for this?

Posted by: Ex-Sis Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 04:54PM

Podcasts #495 & #496

I can't link from this device. =)

Date: March 19, 2015 05:04PM

I see nothing that indicates they've left the church.

Posted by: Ex-Sis Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 05:40PM

Sorry! I had them confused with Teryn & Jason Givens.

I do recall listening to Fiona on Ordain Women where she was supportive of their cause...

Thanks for the fact check.

Posted by: Jael ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 05:12PM

In both those podcasts they are discussing Crucible of Doubt. There is nothing about them leaving the church.

I'm pretty sure that if they ever leave, the whole "Bloggernacle" will be talking about it!

Posted by: anonnyonny ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 05:19PM

I know them in real life. They are both very nice people - humble, sincere, kind. They believe in the church despite all it's flaws, for some reason.

In spite of all that, I can't stand their books. Too much garble and apologetics and high-falutin big words and nothing original or heartfelt, if you ask me. I don't have patience for their extreme mental gymnastics and look the other way attitude.

Date: March 19, 2015 05:22PM

A whole lot of "fluffernuttery" -- using fluff and nuttery to take the cold, hard edges off of the facts.

Date: March 19, 2015 05:46PM

Yes, exactly. My father recently bought me 'The God Who Weeps' (for my birthday - eyeroll) and I could barely get through a dozen pages. It's mostly quotes and long passages from other sources, all very boring and lecture-y sounding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 06:11PM by anonnyonny.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 06:32PM

What a HAPPY BIRTHDAY gift! You made God cry. =(

Sounds like my family.

Happy Birthday! (Hope you had some fun!)

Date: March 20, 2015 01:52PM

Yeah it's a good thing my skin is tough as armor or I would have been offended. I just feel sorry for my father; he means well and he's trapped in this stupid cult that has him worrying about my eternal salvation because I'm not one of them.

God should weep, he should be horrified and devastated over this shitty world he created and left us to fend for ourselves (unless you live in the US and you lost your keys).

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 07:06PM

I have not been interested in their work, but I am interested in this question with respect to their position.

Do they openly state Mormonism is not what it represents, but we like it anyways?

Admiting it is blather.

Attaching to and defending blather is a whole lower level of character and intellect.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 07:18PM

I have not read the book, but forgetting the past won't work. They did way, way, way too much damage to too many people along the way. It is also obvious that it is LD$ Inc not the COJCOFLDS.

We need an LDS chruch "war crimes" tribunal and then I might come back - but I doubt it.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 08:06PM

What's so "beautiful" (Fiona's word) about a church that lies to its members, marginalize gay people and discriminates against women, all while guilt-tripping the entire membership and dumbing down it message to the lowest common denominator?

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 08:20PM

+1

Date: March 19, 2015 09:48PM

Don't forget, always demanding more, more MORE, or you'll get it! They're like the Mob!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 09:49PM

This wikipedia article seems to cover it well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_J._Arrington

I have the mentioned "Story of the Latter-Day Saints." It has a lot of surprising history revealed... multiple first visions, Nauvoo/later Polygamy, Danites, etc. I've got lots of note tabs in it. You know, the stuff the new essays have talked about. So for a few years, Arrington printed more history than some of the big 15 thought appropriate.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: March 20, 2015 02:16PM

I listened to an interview with Givens about this book on MS with Dehlin. I found most of the viewpoints shared by Givens would likely get you kicked out of the church or at least shunned a bit if you truly expressed those views the way Givens does in his book. Other than that, Givens offers more shit shoveling down the saint's throat to stay and pay 10% to the church. No thank you.

Posted by: Daemon ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 11:09AM

"Fiona has stated that she and Terrell find the
church "so beautiful that even if it were false
they would continue believing in it"

Interesting. That's not something that would normally be said by a person who thinks the church is true.

Fiona is in obvious pain. I've been there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.