Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 09:11PM

Is there some association between Feed My Starving Children and the church? In our local ward, the relief society volunteers there as a group? I have also heard of a lot of other mormons volunteering there. Anybody know anything about Feed My Starving Children and/or their association with the church? Or is it a christian volunteer thing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Never Mo but raised Fundie ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 09:33PM

Definitely a Christian thing. Here, the food packing weekend is sponsored by the local United Methodist Church.

Anyone can volunteer and although they mentioned that they are a Christian organization, they had their prayer to bless the food we packed after the main event, in the back area.

I have not checked into their financials but going and packing food is a fun 2.5 hour "feel good" activity - ideal for groups. (Our pack had a bunch of high school athletes doing it as a service project.).

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 09:57PM

Typically this kind of activity is for the sole purpose of advertising the church.

Date: March 18, 2015 01:27PM

Oh, most definitely!

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: March 18, 2015 05:24PM

Just happen to have gotten an e-mail from them this morning so here is what I can tell you. They are a non-profit Christian organization based in Minnesota. They pack food for children in third world countries.

I have only packed the rice version, but it is made up of:
Rice
Textured Soy Protein
Dehydrated Vegetables
Artificial Chicken Flavor with a Vitamin and Mineral Blend

Once mixed with water and cooked it is a fully nutritional meal for malnourished children. I can also say it was surprisingly tasty.

I can tell you they are NOT Mormon.

http://www.fmsc.org/home

Date: March 29, 2015 07:12PM

Thanks! Would you care to say whether you live in MN...? :)

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: March 29, 2015 08:23PM

I am in MN. Twin Cities area. Also a never Mo.

Also my experience with them is through work. Quick easy service opportunity & close to the office. Normally followed by a trip to the bar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 08:58PM by shortbobgirl.

Posted by: azanon ( )
Date: March 30, 2015 01:59AM

My family has packed meals with them through a non-denom Christian church, and I never once felt there was anything remotely "mormonish" with either experience.

Definitely Christian, but not LDS.

LDS is trying to mingle more in mainstream Christianity, though. They want to have the same look and tone as other Christians.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.