Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 03:55PM

my response to ldstrong..

ldsstrong,

The posters on this board are not bashing her or her family. No one here means any disrespect toward her at all. Our hearts go out to her and her family and friends.

The fact the we do not believe in Tscc to be Gods church is the reason that we believe she should have not been out there in the first place. But as humans we are have our free agency to believe what we will.

The anger from the post here is not of her or her family but for the church simply not paying for her return home. That in itself is disgusting on the church. Why would God say, NO! We are not paying for her return home?

Why / how can you not see that as being wrong? What justification does Tscc have for refusing to send her home. It's a choice for them. Pay for her return or not pay for it. They chose to NOT pay for it. A multi-billion corporation CHOSE not to pay for a faithful young ladies return home after serving and loosing her life working for the church. Can you not see how wrong that is?

Are you really that brain washed??!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 04:08PM

I've just finished reading an article on this. Such a tragedy. So infuriating that this family needs a Go Fund Me to fly back their daughter's body?! That should be the least of their worries. It's the church's fault she was down there in the first place. What selfishness and negligence (leads me to believe she didn't get correct care for her illness.)

Does anyone know if parents/missionaries need to sign a waiver saying they are responsible for medical costs, travel expenses, etc while on the mission field?

Posted by: anon volunteer ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 04:19PM

hausfrau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've just finished reading an article on this.
> Such a tragedy. So infuriating that this family
> needs a Go Fund Me to fly back their daughter's
> body?! That should be the least of their worries.

A volunteer program that I'm associated with requires participants going overseas to purchase the student discount card below for exactly this reason. The card covers up to $25,000 for "repatriation of remains." So for just $24 per year per missionary this could be handled. It wouldn't surprise me if TSCC could even buy them in bulk at a discounted rate.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENT IDENTITY CARD (ISIC)

The International Student Identity Card can be purchased online or at the Overseas Resource Center in Bechtel (cost: approximately $24). The ISIC card provides some very basic travel insurance in addition to student discounts on plane tickets, museums, and other amenities.

The following benefits and services are included with your ISIC card.

$300,000 Emergency Evacuation
$25,000 Repatriation of Remains
$25,000 Accident Medical Expense
$5,000 Accidental Death & Dismemberment – Air
$1,000 Accidental Death & Dismemberment – All Other
$500 Lost Document Replacement (includes your ISIC card)
$165 Per day Sickness & Hospital Benefit (up to 61 days)
$100 Baggage Delay
$100 Travel Delay (domestic ONLY)
Included – Travel Guard Assistance

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 05:24PM

Do LDS Missionaries qualify to purchase this card/coverage?

Posted by: anon volunteer ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 05:47PM

Our participants qualify even if they aren't full-time students as long as they are under age 26 and are on a volunteer program so probably missionaries would qualify, too. Also, my point wasn't really that LDS missionaries should buy that particular product but to point out that TSCC could likely get insurance coverage for repatriation of remains for next to nothing per missionary. There's just no excuse for TSCC to not handle these sorts of situations either through insurance or by just doing the right thing and taking care of the arrangements for the family.

Posted by: iamanevermormon ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 11:21PM

"So infuriating that this family needs a Go Fund Me to fly back their daughter's body?!" This is why TSCC needs to go the way of the dodo. The people running it are evil sociopaths.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 04:14PM

The church would have paid her way home if she lived, but not if she died?

I guess they figure she didn't keep up her end of the deal when she went and died on them, so they are released from any responsibility.

Honestly, very sad for the family, and a pathetic excuse for a church.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 05:45PM

How do we know the go fund me account isn't a scam?

Date: March 12, 2015 06:01PM

One indication that it's on the level is the statement from the church, as quoted on KSL, gospel TV:

"We are deeply saddened to announce the death of Sister Brittany Nicole Scadlock," LDS Church spokesman Eric Hawkins said. "Sister Scadlock began serving her mission in the Argentina Resistencia Mission in August 2014, and is from the Kanesville Utah Stake. She passed away Wednesday evening from complications related to an illness. We extend our love and prayers to her family and all who knew her as they mourn her passing."

Even if they were just footing the bill for returning the body, I think they would have mentioned it, so as to take credit for their benevolence.

But yeah, when I take a step back, it's very easy to remember other instances of people using personal tragedies in order to amass unjust enrichment. But if a personal friend or acquaintance were involved, I probably wouldn't pursue that train of thought and toss a few buck into the pot.

Posted by: IMout ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 05:09PM

I have to ask a question that no one has asked. What was LDSStrong doing on this particular board?

I can't help but be curious as to her motives. Since this is an EX mormon site, no one should

be offended or shocked if they come onto this board and read something that is not in unison with

their beliefs, ESPECIALLY if they are an active member of the mormon church. This board is for

those who are in transition for whatever reason and need to express their true feelings, in many

cases for the first time in their life. Ldsstrong does have a right to her feelings at this time,

however, so do we. I feel that because of the unbelievably tragic situation that apparently has

affected her deeply, she needs to be talking about her sadness,

her loss, and her sorrow instead of sparring over religious views. Dealing maturely with our

own feelings of loss and sorrow is probably the hardest part of life itself. I would suggest

that she get on a board right now where others share her beliefs and their feelings run parallel to

hers.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 05:24PM

A Brittany Scadlock Google search has that thread and a thread on another forum very high up on the return results. RfM is first after the images. Now Google may be doing some specializing considering my traffic, but that would be my expectation as to how LDSStrong found the thread.

She can speak for herself best though. There have been times when I have discussed a blogger here and there was some cross-pollinization from the other blog participants as a result. Made for a good thread.

She was serving in Argentina Resistencia LDS mission. If policies were in place to take care of such situations, she wold have had access to high-quality health care. She is dead because of business decisions, not nurturing decisions. Her parents didn't even know she was sick until it was too late for them to care for her. Argentina is a great place. It is sad, especially for her family and community, that Brittany died--unnecessarily. They have already raised a lot of money to get her back. Very generous.

I agree with those who want to hold the LDS church accountable for not offering and providing for their needs to get their daughter home to be buried so that they could focus on each other and mourning her loss.

I would love to find ways to hold the LDS church accountable for their actions. Their missionary program is voluntary, but the way they treat their volunteers is shameful and part of how they break individuals into putting more value on the Church and the afterlife than themselves and this life.

Death is serious. No need to make it more of a mess by involving a religion that does not take it seriously. "Called to another mission". Only asshats would think that is a comforting thing to say.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2015 05:41PM by gentlestrength.

Date: March 12, 2015 05:48PM

I totally agree with everything you have said. The thing that I find so terribly appalling is

that in one breath the church donates over a million dollars to the red cross and this poor family,

who, by the way, did not get to see their daughter until after she had passed away, is also

left high and dry and virtually abandoned by the church in such a chilling fashion, leaving

outsiders to shoulder the burden that they set aside. I, however, look at the church merely

as a corporation and that's the way corporations behave. The bottom line is always more important

than the welfare of those who work for them....especially when they work for free.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 05:53PM

"I agree with those who want to hold the LDS church accountable for not offering and providing for their needs to get their daughter home to be buried so that they could focus on each other and mourning her loss."

Reading this made my stomach heave.

It is UNBELIEVABLE to me that the family has to crowd source the funds to bring their daughter home - in a casket.

How are the Big-15 or Top-3 not CRINGING over this?

I was close to missionaries in the "field" where I live. Some of them became sick or were injured and I helped them out. I took one sister missionary to my own GP for care and he said she was ill enough to be hospitalized. She didn't want to go - didn't want to make a fuss - but I ended up taking her to the mission home IN HER PJ's where at least they finally kept her for a week.

The poor judgement shown by the adults in charge of missionaries (who are also adults but are not treated as such and don't behave as such due in large part to the programming they have been subjected to throughout their lives) is appalling.

I feel for this poor sister missionary (how horrible is it to die of food poisoning but worse, to lose one's life at such a young age - before beginning to live or getting the chance to make her own choices) and her family, her companion and the other missionaries and her friends back home, all of whom will be grief-stricken but may be told to suck it up for the love of the gospel, or something like that. NOT the recommended way to allow people the space to grieve in a healthier way.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 06:41PM

Nightingale Wrote:
> How are the Big-15 or Top-3 not CRINGING over
> this?

I'm not surprised. As the numbers got up so will the death toll. Pretty soon every family would expect a return to sender and that could cost serious money. Living bodies are soooo much cheaper.

That is inspiration for you. I'm sure LDS Inc. pays for all sorts of things for them and they can't even foot the bill for every missionary who dies in the field.

WWJD?

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 08:41PM

Missionary work is young kid tax free money making operation.
$375 x 12 x 60,000 (men) = $270million per year. Minus expenses and im sure it is profitable. Its better she didn't die because their was more money to collect.

Date: March 12, 2015 05:25PM

I'd like to think that ultimately, LDSStrong searching for answers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2015 05:27PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Schaffner ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 05:28PM

Just sent this comment to the Missionary Department on the lds.org website:

I understand that a Sister Missionary in Argentina, Sister Brittany Scadlock, has died from food poisoning. Her family are now trying to raise money to bring her back home. If a missionary has an honorable release the church pays for their return ticket home, but does not if they are dishonorably released. The church is not paying for Sister Scadlock's return home! Are you saying it's her fault that she died while engaged in missionary service? That she has received a dishonorable release from her mission? Why should this be a burden on her family? She received a call and answered it. She was where she was told to server. And now you will not bring her home! This is not right! If a missionary dies they should be returned home!

Signed,

A Returned Missionary

Date: March 12, 2015 06:55PM

Be sure to make this comment on SLTrib website in the comments section of their story on this issue. It's an excellent slap in their prissy pusses.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 06:34PM

Everyone Who Gave Her A "Blessing" Should Be Sued 4 Negligence In Not...

rushing this poor Sister Missionary to the nearest ER stat!!!

As far as i'm concerned everyone who "laid hands on her" is walking a very thin line.

Essentially self-admitted I was hospitalized in the nick of time on my mission due to a serious bout of what was then called the "Russian flu" in the late 70's. I can still recall feeling and being soooo sick i honestly did not think i was going to make it.

This mentality of giving "blessings" to missionaries with potentially life-threatening illnesses has got to stop post haste!

Let's call a spade a spade here and go with the obvious...

If "blessings" worked or helped in any way, shape or form...then can anyone tell me why-in-the-hell do the GA's have a medical insurance plan of ANY kind???

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 06:37PM

If church officials refuse to pay for the transport of her body home, then it's official -- they are a bunch of self-serving, narcissistic assholes. Shame on them!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 06:42PM

I don't understand. On my mission between 1969 and 1971, the church paid for everything for us. We got great medical care and were whisked off to Fanfani medical institute in Florence anytime we had a complaint. I'm sure our remains would have been repatriated if any of us had died. The church has really abandoned its missionaries.

Date: March 12, 2015 07:07PM

Everything changed in 1989-90. My son was on a Mission in Sweden. It was an expensive mission,

however, the church changed to "averaging" and what a mess. Everyone paid the same amount to the

church and they supposedly paid your son or daughter what they needed and we were instructed not

to send extra. I heard reports of kids not getting enough to eat, etc. It was at that time that

a lot changed when it came to finances. We stopped having a janitor clean the church, etc.

Our Stake president went to the general authorities, trying to get rid of the monthly luncheons

for the Relief Society as they needed the money for camping equipment and brand-new basketball

hoops and equipment.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 06:45PM

"Are you really that brain washed??!!!"
You are wasting your breath. YES they are that brainwashed.

BeenThereDunnThatExMo - you are so right - but let's go a step further than that - WHY DOES ANY TBM have any medical insurance at all? Get the priesthood to do the job. WHAT A FU*KING JOKE.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 07:15PM

They probably had a life insurance policy on her and cashed it in. Cheap bastards.

Date: March 12, 2015 07:49PM

They started the go*fund*me site when they thought they just needed the money to go visit her. I doubt they wanted her to die so they could have the extra money.

If you lost a child, would you want to go back to work as soon as possible?

If there is a life insurance policy, the church will be after them for the church's 10%. And I suppose the church will want 10% of the money raised via the go*fund*me site.

I'd be careful about misplacing your anger with the church and the moochers and putting it on possibly innocent people.

Posted by: --- ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 09:32AM

I must admit I thought the comment was aimed at the church and it was the church that had pocketed the insurance.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 08:51PM

Lot of speculating and so far, I have not read any validated factual information.

Date: March 12, 2015 09:20PM

And just like with Elder Maughan, of the Mexico Vera Cruz mission, you probably never will.

Posted by: BG-not logged in ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 10:48PM

The death of this young lady makes me very sad and angry. I became seriously ill on my mission and my mission presidents response was to lock me in the mission home for several weeks because he did not want to send me home because it would look bad on his record as a mission president. You see he wanted to be a general authority someday, and I was a pawn in his little power games. My doctor back home finally convinced a general authority to send me home to get medical treatment. It took me a very long time to recover.

I hope they treated her to the best of the ability in the country and did not tell her she just did not have enough faith as they told me. She looks very very young, it seems very senseless. I think I have a sense of how hopeless she felt as she lay dying for the Church which is all based on lies. Joseph Smith was a con man not a prophet and if you look into the origins of the book of mormon, the proven fraud of the book of Abraham, the false and fabricated stories of the first vision that changed every year in the beginnings of the church and the lack of evidence that priesthood was ever restored you will start to know the truth and the truth will set you free.

Posted by: S ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 11:16PM

I just want you all to know that your assumptions are incorrect. I have knowledge of the situation and it's not as you think. The church has been great. As a fellow ex mo I wanted you to know.

Posted by: BG not logged in ( )
Date: March 12, 2015 11:30PM

Date: March 12, 2015 11:37PM

S Wrote:
> I just want you all to know that your assumptions
> are incorrect. I have knowledge of the situation
> and it's not as you think. The church has been
> great. As a fellow ex mo I wanted you to know.

I've no doubt that there are caring people in the COB who have reached out to the family.

If you're an ex mo, you'll have no problem understanding my cynical view that what you're referring to is some someone smart enough to realize that they should schmooze the heck out of the family to keep them from blabbing about how the missionary culture contributed to her death.

And also, if you're an ex mo, please find some way to tell us what you know without blowing whatever cover you think you need to preserve. Most of us don't mind it when the church does something right, since such instances are so rare.

Posted by: S ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 12:58AM

Yes, this is my first post here but I read every day. I only posted because I know things that are accurate and wanted to correct the inaccurate posts. I'm a relative and have intimate knowledge of the realities. I'm sympathetic to the cynicism as I have plenty of my own in many situations and on many topics. However, in this situation, most of what I've read on several threads is wrong. There have been no financial shortcuts taken at all. Brittney was serving in the same mission I served in many years ago. It's an awesome place. I don't really know of the quality of the healthcare in the early time of her sickness but I do know the people from the church were doing all they could to help her. You can call me naive or gullible but you'd be wrong. I wish she never would have gone but she did have good people with her that cared. I love this girl more than can be expressed. She was awesome and will be missed tremendously!

Date: March 13, 2015 02:14AM

The go*fund*me site still has the headline, "Bring Brittany Home" so I am assuming the family had reason to suppose the church was not going to fund her return. Obviously that changed late today.

I personally believe some flunky was going by what was in the the COB save money handbook. But the media pressure became too great and a wiser head prevailed.

Unlike the elder in Taiwan. He died 8/22/2014 and was buried on 9/20/2014.

But the Mexico Verá Cruz Elder who either committed suicide or was a homicide victim, he died on 9/15/2013 and his viewing was on 9/23/2013. The church got him home toute suite because it was becoming a PR major unpleasantness and they needed to placate his mother.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 11:25AM

Thank you for your insight S. It's always good to get the facts straight. Condolences to you and your family. I can't imagine the pain her parents are going through right now. Take care and post again sometime. We'd love to hear from you.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 02:23PM

The go fund site reports:

"UPDATE #3 19 HOURS AGO

The familys goal has been met these funds were originally intended to help cover travel expenses for the Scadlock family.

Thank you for your love and support. No more funds are necessary.
We have far surpassed our goal.

The LDS Church is working with the family to ensure Brittanys return."

Note that last sentence.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 02:54PM

I do admit that it does sound like the money raised is intended for her funeral expenses. It looks like they edited the purpose and erased the need for travel expenses.

Date: March 13, 2015 02:35AM

It is a tragic loss.

I posted earlier and was somewhat buying into the claims, the Church should cover the health and death needs of its volunteers. You are in mourning. I hope RfM can be helpful.

Did the Fund account continue after the parents found out they would not be flying to Argentina to see their dying daughter?

Argentina is an open passport destination for US citizens. Perhaps her parents did not have US passports. The only arrangements that need to be made can be made at the airport. I have been there many times including recently. Now things may have changed in the past two years, but there was recently added a $160 tourist visa tax. This was started about three years ago. It is essentially a tax. It is not like a Brazilian visa that requires consular processing. It can be done online when purchasing tickets to Argentina.

If the parents had the resources they could have caught the next plane down from SLC to Argentina. The major city in that mission has an airport that takes daily flights from the Buenos Aires international airport which receives multiple flights drom US cities such as Houston, Miami, and Washington D.C. every day.

I think from your post you have stated the Church has behaved in the best interest of your relatives' health and care for her body after her desth. I hope you are right.

Why is the Fund account still active at over $13,000? Burial costs have been exceeded. What would have been transporation costs for the family to Argentina have been exceeded? What is the purpose of the fund now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2015 02:50AM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 03:06AM

The Go Fund account is now closed. Almost 14K! Only needed 8K!??

Date: March 13, 2015 02:36AM

Double post--technical issues

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2015 02:44AM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 03:02AM

So I was wondering about sister mishies and their history.

I'm pretty sure Joe or Brig never sent out female missionaries and yet my own dear Mom filled a 2 yr call to the Central States mission headquartered in KC back in the 30s.

Just when did the Lard send out the call for LMs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2015 03:05AM by Shummy.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 03:52AM

They expect these kids to go to whatever homes they're invited to and eat whatever is served. It could have been my best friend's nephew, whose uncle flew (against the kid's parents' wishes) to Chile, demanded his passport, and got him to a hospital in Miami in the nick of time. The kid is minus a large chunk of small intestine but at least he's alive. What a tragedy for this poor girl.

Posted by: baneberry ( )
Date: March 13, 2015 09:39AM

Had a relative 13,000 miles from home serving a mission. He got terribly depressed and was expressing his feelings to his father in letters. Father calls mission home to find out how to get a hold of his son to see if he can help. Mission President says no way. Son tries to kill himself twice and ends up coming home alive but totally angry at the church. Coming home early, no matter what the reasons makes you a pariah. Better to die in the field than to be a human.

I hate this part of the TSCC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.