Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 12:21AM

My TBM wife is now trying to figure out where the lines will be drawn in our relationship on church if we stay together and have kids. I told her I will not encourage, nor discourage anything church related with our children but will do as my parents did for me. They let me choose.

Words of wisdom for this newly freed soul?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 01:02AM

Most likely she will forever be resentful of your relationship with the kids since they will eventually question why they have to go to church when you stay home. They may also question why you do stuff like drink iced tea, coffee, or multitude of other stupid things they will be told is evil. That alone will be creating problems since having both parents participating is important for indoctrination.

Is your wife considering leaving you over your exit? It's really important to be totally honest with each other and up front about your expectations and what her's are. It will save you both a lifetime of pain and regret if she just isn't able to reconcile your leaving the church with the life you are building together.

Posted by: Ms. ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 02:01AM

. . . when neither person took their religious beliefs too seriously. So they could joke and compromise freely. Difficult with anyone labeled TBM . . . I don't have an inter-religious marriage, so hopefully you get better advice from those IN one = ), but having children in this situation seems risky until you are able to do as Vhainya suggested and be completely honest about what she (and you) can and can't handle. Get it in writing--mainly because people think more over what they sign. (At least my hubby and I use that as a humorous way to make sure we remember certain things.)

Of course since you are "newly freed," maybe she will join you at some point? I hope so! There have been many cheering stories about such things on here.

Posted by: chipsnsalsa ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 10:35AM

I wasn't too serious about my faith either... it only took a few months before I was out too. Just let her do what she needs to do and work through what she needs to work through. You be the nicest ExMormon husband there ever was. Good luck!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.