Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Seahorse ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 11:19PM

Wouldn't this stop them from pestering you if you ask them, "Hey, aren't you from the church that hates gays?" You could quote Packer if they tried to deny it. That just floors me how they try to deny embarrassing stuff and then whine that outsiders just don't understand Mormons. The only thing they want outsiders to understand about Mormons is that they belong to the right church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 12:20AM

Even if they are, they can't read papers or watch TV, so they might be blissfully unaware of the fecal-matter-storm that Packer has stirred up. So, smug in the knowledge that the lard would never lead the prophet astray, they will just write you off as a tool of Satan. Except for the poor gay missionaries who now have confirmation that HF truly hates them.

Posted by: Ms. ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 02:08AM

... in his weekly message. Not on the gay aspect, I doubt he noticed that. BUT you're right about them being out of the loop concerning the reaction.

Posted by: Some Young Guy ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 12:34AM

That's just awesome. Take it out on the little guy on the street, instead of on Packer himself.

Tactics like this only increase the Morg-bots persecution complex.

Hey! I have an idea... why not have a civil discussion about it... you know... like an adult?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 12:49AM

Missionaries are victims, not perpetrators. They know they are lying and manipulating. When you give them some sympathy and understanding, it's amazing what that seed will do. I always say, "Look young man, you are working so hard and my heart goes out to you. I'm sure you never set out to trick people or to hurt anyone, but I want you to know that your message ruined my life and caused my son's death via a drug overdose. Here's my message to you: the people who love the real you will still love you if you stop being Mormon. Why don't you become the unique person God meant you to be instead of a cookie-cutter salesman for a church that cares only for numbers?

And if you want to talk about doctrine, I'm ready. Invite me to your next meeting with investigators and I'll ask stimulating questions....

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 10:55AM

If I see any here in Belgium, I'll offer them a meal, since all these poor guys are nearly starving on that $3 per day they get to eat these days.

And as long as they promise not to talk church or religion at any point in time, I'd be happy to do it for them.

I do agree that you don't want to kill the messenger, but I'm conflicted, too. You definitely don't want that messenger--knowingly or unknowingly--harming someone else with their deceptions, arrogance and lies.

I guess I'd offer that meal, and if they insist, as I know they will, in telling me about their church and its promises to converts, I'd have to let them have it...but I'd try and be very kind and rational while I did so.

My honesty might be mistaken for anger, and my knowledge for ignorance or satan's work, but I'd still feel beholden to do it.

You don't turn away those you meet who are hungry for leadership, or struggling with the truth, if it is in your power to do so. Not even if they are obnoxious, arrogant or irritating.

In that case, you must redouble your efforts, because those things are signs of fear, inferiority and self-doubt. To me, they're SOS calls...

Posted by: Master C ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 01:17PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 04:54PM

Do that and they'd immediately play the: "We are being persecuted ft the lard!" routine.

God. You would have a starring role in F&T meetings and firesides for decades!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.