Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ex in champaign ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 09:07PM

My back story, abridged. Convert at 20. Had a "relationship" with a missionary right after my baptism..we clicked. There were many late night calls that lasted hours. Similar personalities, rebels..rule breakers..mischievous..

I will soon be 28. I had a first meeting with a new missionarys last week. Saw them do service.. One came up to me alone and sat down and we spoke for sometime. I instantly felt a connection so did he, I believe. He is 22. He and I have similar interests as well..

Needless to say, I am inactive. Very. I want to know if any of you RMs had a relationship in the field...and any advice u have..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 09:14PM

Apart from the details (this particular man) do you want to marry a Mormon and raise your kids as mormons?

Date: March 08, 2015 09:55PM

The church has some good Morals. Living modestly.. Humility...

But..no,probably not.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 07:15AM

It seems that those good values only apply to the little people in the wards.

Think about the old boys in SLC.

Morals? Really? Defending JS, the sexual predator. Lying to members about what non-members are like. Telling parents to feed the church (tithing) before they feed their kids.

Living modestly! Have you seen the on-line pictures of their homes?

Humility! "We talk directly to God." "When the profit has spoken, the thinking has been done."

In all seriousness, I do not think raising kids in TSCC is a good idea. It's a cult and all the teachings are done with one thing in mind. Raise obedient, submissive tithe payers.

Posted by: mormonrealitycheck ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 10:56AM

Churches don't "have" morals ... people do.

You can have good morals without belonging to any church.

The LDS Church does not have a corner on the "our church has good morals" market. It does not own them.

We own them.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 01:26PM

"The church" has good morals?

I'm going out on a limb here and assume you are talking about the mormonites.

My reply: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 10:27PM

One word.

STOP.

RMM

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 10:31PM

Falling for a missionary based on his (or her) behavior/personality while on the mission would be worse than falling for the bachelor on those stupid reality TV shows while only getting to know him in those idealistic settings.

Meet up with him after he's been home for 3 months and see what you think of him.

Wait 6 months and he'll already be married to his other one-and-only.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 10:31PM

This will not end well. He will go home and find a TBM girl to take to the temple.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 10:43PM

He's quite cute, he's been in he news lately as the prisoner with the model looks. I'm gay, so how can I make sure that I get sent to his prison and make him fall in love with me?

I'm being sarcastic by the way.

I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or make you feel silly/dumb. But sometimes the hormones and feelings don't look at reality.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 10:49PM

This relationship is unlikely to develop for a number of reasons. Beyond that, don't confuse a crush for someone who would be a good match for you in the long run. It's easy to do that, I know.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 11:00PM

Missionaries are trying to sell the gospel. Of course they use their personnel charms to do it. Why are there more female converts than males? ...just sayin...

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 11:06PM

At age 28, it's time to move on. Don't prey on teenagers.

You may need some therapy to find out why you have this issue.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 11:17PM

So many problems if you get involved with, not only a Mormon, but also a foreigner. Find someone local, who you can date and get to know on a normal basis.

"The church has some good Morals. Living modestly.. Humility..." and so do most churches and religions.

Please read the following and cure yourself from Mormonism:

http://home.teleport.com/~packham/tract.htm
http://cesletter.com/

Date: March 09, 2015 12:39AM

Madalice, I know I probably need some sort of therapy..I have the urge to corrupt or otherwise tempt this 22 yr old missionary. That isn't right is it?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 12:42AM

Been there, done that. Not all its cracked up to be.

Move on and find a REAL live man.

Mishey's are little kids. Ick.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 05:44AM

In your original post, you seem to be looking for a relationship. On this post, you seem to be looking for sex. So which is it? (Not judging, just trying to get you to think about it.)

If it's the sex/challenge that you want, just keep in mind that he's a human being and not a chew toy. You are also thinking about playing while you are at a prime age for hunting for a mate (a lot of nevermo men in your age group are being taken off the market as we speak.) If you want a husband, I would be looking for husband material. This young man isn't it for you.

If it's a relationship that you want -- age differences won't always matter, but in this case you are both in two different stages of life. Plus there are the other issues -- the fact that he's on a mission, is likely from somewhere far away, and the fact that he's active in the church and you're not. None of this bodes well.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 03:25PM

"I have the urge to corrupt or otherwise tempt this 22 yr old missionary. That isn't right is it?"

Uhhhh....no, it isn't. A 28-year-old woman should know that.

This 22-year-old BOY, and I mean BOY, is probably homesick, lovesick, and horny, and he probably appreciates affection from you, an older, single, inactive lady. In other words, he's vulnerable. The very fact that you "have the urge to corrupt or otherwise tempt" him demonstrates that you don't really care about him, or that you don't have his best interests in mind.

Is there some reason you can't attract any men who are closer to your age and in your culture?

Posted by: ThatLittleBriggyWentWeeWeeWee ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 05:04PM

When I was 28, I dated a 23 year-old and the age difference was too much to conquer. I was just too immature. We were even engaged for a year and one half. He was also mormon and I was exmo, so I went back to church for him. What a disaster and a waste of my time! Really think about what you could be getting into and what a huge waste of time and emotions you could ultimately have.

Posted by: ThatLittleBriggyWentWeeWeeWee ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 05:06PM

I meant to say he was just too immature. If you are a woman in your late twenties, it's a big age gap to date a man in his early twenties, IMO. Those young mormon men can be hot though. This I know.

Posted by: Texas Sue ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 01:50AM

Is there anything wrong with you or your circumstances that you can't find someone NORMAL to date? Trying to "corrupt" or "tempt" this missionary isn't cute--it's sadistic.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 02:26AM

I kind of wish I'd have had an older woman trying to get in me in bad with ghawd... Then I might have had a little more spring in my step as I was out tracting.

And how about this: if the OP were a male, talking about being in a 'we-have-the-hots-for-each-other'situation with a sister missionary, and the male was just looking to fool around, would the advice be the same?

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 02:47AM

Please, match.com or eharmony.com.

But never ever, lds.org.

Your future children will thank you.

Posted by: Anon for this... ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 02:59AM

Go for it if you feel prompted by the spirit to do so. If he wants to f*uck, he will. Perhaps his experience with you will be the defining moment that prompts him to leave the church.

But... don't count on the experience being some kind of a lasting relations. I suppose it might be. But don't count on it.

It's your decision.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 07:25AM

He's a lonely guy on a mission where he (theoretically) isn't even supposed to jack off for occasional relief; you're as close as he gets to it. He's lonely and probably horny. Did I mention that he's lonely and probably horny? He's under the thumb of church/cult expectations. He's part of a sales force, and when I say "force" I mean he's also being forced to be a salesman for TSCC.

Wow, that sounded harsh, but maybe you can do some deconverting...probably not.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 07:59AM

You need to leave it entirely. Talk to a therapist if you are attracted only to unavailable and vulnerable younger men. This isn't a healthy situation.

Posted by: chimera ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 11:48AM

As a girl who's had crushes on unavailable guys before, even if they weren't missionaries, I understand that it can be hard to let it go. I'm sorry that this is happening, and I'm not trying to hurt your feelings needlessly.

With that said--as other people have mentioned, he's most likely very lonely and, as a young adult with raging hormones, he has certain urges, at least on some occasions. The only consistent contact he has with his family is via email once a week. He's cut off from his friends and family--the connections he's had and built for years. Who wouldn't be lonely? If he is aware of your interest, there might be a part of him that's flattered, at least on some level. However, when push comes to shove, there probably isn't much hope for some sort of future. His focus is supposed to be on other things right now. There's the possibility that he's less than thrilled with his current circumstances (on some level), but that doesn't change the fact that numerous people expect a great deal from him right now. I've never been a full-time LDS missionary, but a lot of it sounds very stressful and much less fun than many RMs make it out to be. Even if he is enjoying aspects of his mission, he's still under pressure.

Additionally, even if he does reciprocate your feelings to some extent--well, feelings aren’t always enough. And how well can you really know him? How much information about him can you really glean from the conversations you've had with him? He's not supposed to be focusing on girls or dating at this point. The duration of his mission is not an ideal time to get to know him. Plus, people change. He might return from his mission with a very different outlook. Maintaining a long-distance friendship is hard enough—maintaining a romantic relationship of some kind over a distance is, arguably, even harder. Besides, there's no guarantee that the interest is mutual. Regardless, this is inappropriate and could cause all parties involved (especially you, it seems) a lot of distress in the end. I know it's hard--but please try to find individuals out there who also seem to have similar interests and are actually available and able to pursue a relationship. I know that the feelings won't go away immediately. It's not going to be easy or fun to stand your ground. Ultimately, though, there's a reason he's unavailable. And it's really in your best interest to keep that in mind and open yourself up to other individuals and/ or take the time for some soul-searching. Pick up a new hobby (or two); read about topics that interest you; spend time with family and friends. Get to know what makes you tick and what you want out of life--what you could improve on personally, as well as what you're doing well and have already accomplished.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. I wish you luck!

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 01:52PM

She is 28 the guy 22 and some are saying she needs a therapist because sge preys teenagers? Are you serious? How peverted and distorted I am then for you being 33 with a 24year old I hooked up with on his mission?
He is a legal adult so is she stop telling someone seems to ve serious twisted for having a younger SO.

Even if most of you probably don't want to hear that: Under his nametag he is a real man and it's not all black or white. And you can get to know someone way intensive also under this circumstances.
It's true what's been said: yes they are lonely yes they are maybe horny and yes they are under a certain pressure, all these can become issues - like it can become with everyone else, too.

So my advice will always be try it but expect nothing. Maybe it'll work and maybe not just like in every other constellation. A crush can lead to love and a relationship but it don't have to.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 04:31PM

It's about vulnerability and non-availability. She's stalking someone who is not allowed to reciprocate. That's not a good situation for her or the mishie she's chasing.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 04:55PM

My suggestion is TURN IT OFF. It really seems very inappropriate to consider complicating a young man's life in such a way.

I felt very attracted to someone new at work a few years ago. Just a chemistry thing. But I was (and still am) happily married, and he was married, and no way in the world would I dream of acting on such an impulse.

So I literally just shut down those thoughts as soon as anything would pop into my head. It was almost like I was imagining closing doors on the thoughts.

Really, within a very brief time I got over it and I didn't feel anything at all toward him except what was appropriate toward a co-worker.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.