Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 08:46AM

Mar 1, 1841 - Nauvoo city ordinance that "the Catholics, Presbyterians, Methodists, Baptists, Latter-day Saints, Quakers, Episcopals, Universalists, Unitarians, Mohammedans, and all other religious sects and denominations, whatever, shall have free toleration, and equal privileges." This law provided for a $300 fine and 6-month imprisonment for anyone convicted of ridiculing a person's religious beliefs. At this time, several states of the U.S.A. prohibited Jews and other non-Christians from voting or holding public office.

Mar 1, 1842 - For the first time an account of Joseph Smith's first vision is published, appearing in the TIMES AND SEASONS which publishes his official account April 1. This account is in a letter to John Wentworth: "I retired to a secret place in a grove and began to call upon the Lord, while fervently engaged in supplication my mind was taken away from the objects with which I was surrounded and I was enwrapped in a heavenly vision and saw two glorious personages who exactly resembled each other in features, and likeness, surrounded with a brilliant light which eclipsed the sun at noon-day. They told me that all religious denominations were believing in incorrect doctrines, . . ." Joseph later tells of the September 21, 1823 visit of "a personage [who] stood before me surrounded with a glory . . .I was informed that I was chosen to be an instrument in the hands of God to bring about some of his purposes in this glorious dispensation. I was also informed concerning the aboriginal inhabitants of this country and shown who they were, and from whence they came, a brief sketch of their origin, progress, civilization, laws, governments, of their righteousness and iniquity, and the blessings of God being finally withdrawn from them as a people was made known unto me . . ." In spite of this some LDS apologists dealing with Native American DNA studies later claim that all of Joseph Smith's statements concerning the origin and ancestry of Native Americans are only his "opinion."

Mar 1, 1845 - Lewis Dana of the Oneida tribe is admitted to full membership in the Council of Fifty. A group of eight men are chosen "to fill Josephs measures originally adopted by this Council by going West to seek out a location and a home . . . the Council finally agreed to send out a company with Brother Dana . . . These brethren are expected to start immediately after Conference and proceed from tribe to tribe, to unite the Lamanites and find a home for the saints." John D. Lee is also among those admitted to the Council of Fifty on this day

Mar 1, 1845 - Lucy Mack Smith, Joseph Smith's mother, signs a published statement in support of the succession claim of James J. Strang.
On his 38th birthday Apostle Wilford Woodruff learns of a plan by apostate John Greenhow to make printing plates for the Doctrine and Covenants "to bring the plates to England to Print the work here [England] & get the copyright secured so that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints could not Print them."

Mar 1, 1846 - Speaking for an ailing Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball tells the "Camp of Israel" to "remove to some other location, because we are so near Nauvoo the brethren are continually going back and neglecting their teams and families, and running to me for counsel about a little property they have here or there or somewhere. . . . He called upon all who meant to go ahead to say, I, which was responded to most heartily by the brethren present. . . .About noon, the Camp began to move and at 4 o'clock nearly five hundred wagons were on the way traveling in a Northwesterly direction."

Mar 1, 1857 - First Presidency Counselor Daniel H. Wells preaches: "I say to the sisters, seek to have confidence in your husbands, and believe that they are capable of leading you; and when you seek instruction, believe them capable of giving it to you; and be faithful, humble, and obedient to them. Their feelings should not be concentrated in you, but your feelings should be in them, and their's should be in those who lead them in the Priesthood."

Mar 1, 1859 - Brigham Young "called the clerks into one office, and wished some of them to read some farces and Comic stories, which served as relaxation and amusement."

Mar 1, 1862 - Joseph F. Smith writes, while on a mission in England, to his wife Levira (who has suffered a nervous breakdown in his absence), "I am very sensitive and rather melancholy inclined besides I scarcely ever have time to sit down, quiet and unquestioned long enough to follow out a link or two of thought, say nothing of a 'chain of thought.'" twenty-one-year-old Joseph F. Smith left for his mission in after barely a year of marriage finally returns to Levira in Utah on Oct. 4, 1863 after an absence of three years and five months.

Mar 1, 1869 - Opening of Zion's Co-operative Mercantile Institution (ZCMI).

Mar 1, 1877 - Wilford Woodruff describes his 70th birthday celebrations: "I was there Surrounded with one hundred and fifty four virgins, Maidens Daughters and Mothers in Zion from the age of fourteen to the Aged Mother leaning upon her Staff. All had assembled for the purpose of Entering into the Temple of the Lord to make me a birth day Present by being washed And Anointed and receiving their Endowments for and behalf of One hundred and Thirty of my wives who were dead and in the spirit world . . ." After the temple ceremonies are completed Woodruff attends a party in his honor where "their was presented before me a present of a birth day Bridal Cake three Stories high . . ." A poem composed and read for the occasion includes the lines "We meet to day with Joy to act A proxy for thy dead,/ And Give thee scores of wives who'll be Like Crowns upon thy head" On Woodruff's next two birthdays women go to the St. George Temple and act as proxies in sealing plural wives to him. In 1879 he writes that it "makes 267 in all of the dead single women who have been sealed to me in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City, and in the St George Temple."

Mar 1, 1885 - Apostle John Henry Smith writes, "I went to the Methodist or rather the Baptist prayer meeting and had a very pleasant time. A very good spirit prevailed."

Mar 1,1895 - Some non-Mormons are given full tour of dedicated Salt Lake Temple interior.

Mar 1, 1902 - President Joseph Fielding Smith publishes an article on the Patriarchal Order: "THE FATHER [IS THE] THE PRESIDING AUTHORITY OF THE FAMILY. There is no higher authority in matters relating to the family organization, and especially when that organization is presided over by one holding the higher Priesthood, than that of the father. The authority is time honored, and among the people of God in all dispensations it has been highly respected and often emphasized by the teachings of the prophets who were inspired of God. The patriarchal order is of divine origin and will continue throughout time and eternity."

Mar 1, 1980 - Mark Hofmann, student at Utah State University, writes: "Today I just found out the story of Grandpa's and Grandma's wedding." His grandfather, William Gailey Sears had taken his grandmother, Alethia Call as a post-manifesto, plural wife on February 21, 1906. The wedding was performed by stake president Joseph Summerhays who claims he had permission from President Joseph F. Smith.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.