Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 07:47PM

This topic comes up once in a while here.

While watching episode 4 of Grantchester one of the minor characters struck me a good candidate to play Joseph Smith. His name is Rory Fleck-Byrne.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1454097/

Hmm...he might be a little too good looking though. Maybe hair and makeup could tone him down a bit, like they did with Loretta Swit on MASH.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: istandallamazed ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 08:16PM

In what context would it be appropriate to make a movie depicting J Smith? The church has done a bang up job of making him hot and holy at the same time.

A real and true movie about him, as con man, and spiritual extortionist liar would probably be interesting though.

Nosferatu would more adequately depict his inner qualities shining through.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nosferatu&espv=2&biw=1094&bih=581&tbm=isch&imgil=8-SLpdvwW575LM%253A%253B4HpF81S

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 08:24PM

At the risk of repeating myself I think the actualy contemporary portrait of Joseph Smith in profile bears a striking resemblance to American actor Jon Lovitz.

Every time I think of JS I hear his quotes in Jon Lovitz' nasal New York, "Saaayyy, little girl, has anyone explained plural marriage to you yet? No? Well! This angel with a flaaaaming sword....."

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 08:41AM

Love this post!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 08:43PM

I absolutely despise Gerald Lund and his utter toxic crap "The Work and The Glory" book series. All 9 of Lund's POS books should be shoved right back where they came from. That said, the guy that they had play Joe Smith in the The Work and The Glory Movie series, Jonathan Scarfe, did an incredible job of play the mythical version of Joe Smith, (even though it may have been a death knell for his carreer as an actor).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8aNf-lNh-g

I would love to see someone play the real life ( scum bag psychopath pervert) version of Joseph Smith in a movie ...... for some reason Steve Buscemi comes to my mind. But, please, fill me in, if any other similarly creepy candidates come to mind. ( John Travolta ?)

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 08:48PM

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 08:48PM

The best casting for the role of Joseph Smith would be to actor Ron "The Hedgehog" Jeremy.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 08:51PM

We dream periodically here about a truthful movie biography of Joseph Smith along the lines of "No Man Knows My History". I think a Cable TV series format would be perfect.

Was it Baura that offered the excellent breakdown/Timeline for the seasons and episodes? It was a while ago...

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 08:52AM

This whole conversation makes me think of a real life Joseph Smith, but make it rated X. Focus on the polygamy aspects. Maybe change history to day that Emma was willing.
Oops can't do it, movies about pedophiles are not ok

Heck we shouldn't have any movies about JS because mormons shouldn't glorify and romanticize someone who thinks it is ok to cheat on his wife and marry 14 year old girls

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 09:21AM

It depends on whether or not you want the film to be truthful or fantasy. If fantasy, then yeah, the guy from Grantchester. If truthful, someone who looks more like the real Joseph Smith, some character actor. Or maybe Rainn Wilson.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 12:01PM

...if somebody was to do a serious movie about him, it would have to star a younger actor. Some A-listers in that genre would include Ryan Gosling, Shia LeBeouf, and Benedict Cummabunch. The part would require someone who's attractive enough to women and be able to portray a charismatic con artist. Sorta like Leonardo DeCrapio in "Catch Me If You Can."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.