Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 06:12PM

I was at one of the Salt Lake Deseret Industries today when something occured to me.
I started to wash my hands after using the restroom when I noticed how cold the water was.
So, I ran the water for over 60 seconds, timed it on my watch,
and the water was just as cold after 60 seconds as it was when I started.

No biggie, maybe the water heater was broken. But when combined with
the scores of other anecdotal Church cutting expenses stories people have been sharing,
it does make one wonder if TSCC is experiencing a cash flow problem.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 06:50PM

Yesterday at Byui I went to use some hand santizer hanging by the front door, and there was none left. Puzzled, I pushed the lever several more times to no avail. Then it dawned on me that the fall of the Morg was inevitable.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 08:09PM

Cold-Dodger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yesterday at Byui I went to use some hand santizer
> hanging by the front door, and there was none
> left. Puzzled, I pushed the lever several more
> times to no avail. Then it dawned on me that the
> fall of the Morg was inevitable.

10 years from now when people ask me where I was when I first learned about the pending doom of the TSCC, I'll recall this hand sanitizer post as the pivotal moment in history for me.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 06:08AM

Of course. If they don't care enough to sanitize their own history and doctrine any more, they're going to lose lots of true believers.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 06:50PM

Hummm..

Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 07:08PM

It's posts like this that make me think exmos are just as delusional and biased as TBMs, just in the opposite direction.

I mean, that leap was Olympic sized.

Date: February 28, 2015 07:22PM

It's actually you making the Olympic size leap if you (and Einstein above)
are implying that I'm saying TSCC is having a possible cash flow problem because of no hot water.

You've both read my post incorrectly looking for a negative slant you could put on it.
Come back when you are done playing "Gotcha!"

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 05:05PM

Oh, waaaah. Maybe they read your post incorrectly. And maybe your wording was confusing and/or misleading.

Date: March 02, 2015 05:35PM

Brother of Jerry,

Although I don't post on this website nearly as much as when I first started two to three years ago,
I've been hearing stories of how toxic things have gotten over here.
What's up with the little dig? I always remembered you as being a voice of reason, logic and self restraint, not petty little retorts.
What gives, have people here started cannabalizing each other over the littlest of things?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 09:45PM

Your post does look like your are at least implying that no hot water = the CULT is out of money. So if that is not what you were saying, then enlighten us please.

Date: March 02, 2015 10:28PM

How can my post look like I'm implying that "no hot water = the CULT is out of money,"

when the last sentence clearly says, "But when COMBINED with the SCORES of other

anecdotal church cutting expenses STORIES people have been sharing,

it does make one wonder if TSCC is experiencing a cash flow problem."

Let's just drop it, I'm just going to assume some of you are just yanking my chain.
At least I hope you are because I can't imagine people not understanding where I was coming from.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 07:13PM

Here's something I've noticed at our chapel. A couple of years ago I posted that my TBM mom said that the chapel was cold during winter. Last week after Sacrament I found several cold parts of the halls. The most noticeable was right by the library. So not only are members paying for cold chapels during the winter, add cold hallways to the list!!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 07:14PM

I've been in a lot of public restrooms -- restaurants, convenience stores, libraries, whatever -- with no hot water. Everyone's doing it. It makes me wonder how well food handlers can wash their hands before returning to work.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 04:51PM

My Japanese friends tell me that it's unhealthy to wash with warm water-- germs thrive in warm water. Use cold. :-) All a matter of perspective... Not sure what difference it makes, except getting all the soap off is easier with warm water.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 09:20PM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been in a lot of public restrooms --
> restaurants, convenience stores, libraries,
> whatever -- with no hot water. Everyone's doing
> it. It makes me wonder how well food handlers can
> wash their hands before returning to work.

Your hands cannot stand water hot enough to sterilize against germs. If you use antibacterial soap and dry with a paper towel, you'll be fine.

Don't use those hand dryers, they spread germs.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (sober) ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 07:20PM

Cutting costs could also just be a way to increase the funds being diverted to leader's family's businesses. Shoddy temple and chapel construction, followed by early maintenance and remodeling, is a huge cash cow; every penny saved elsewhere is another penny for GA families.

Or more likely, it's both. They see it's failing, so it's time to bleed the cow as well as milk it.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 07:36PM

^^ This

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 07:48PM

They've always been cheap, but yeah, I think it's a cheaper grade of cheap nowadays.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 08:05PM

They just don't want the bums off the street taking hot hand showers in the bathroom. And it saves money by turning off the hot water flowing into that particular pipe. Nothing to see here.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 08:29PM

I'll believe they are having cash-flow troubles when the GA's
start flying coach instead of First Class.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 08:15AM

Dream on.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 12:13PM

I've seen multiple GA's on planes flying coach before. Once was on Southwest...no first class. They also fly on Huntsman's jet, but I think that's just Huntsman's way of buying his ticket to the CK.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 11:26AM

The OP was making an observation. The observation, combined with many others including layoffs at COB, observed decline in membership (especially of tithe-payers), having "volunteers" clean the chapels and temples, leads one to the logical conclusion something is wrong vis-a-vis TSCC income.

The question is: what is next to go? Usually, one can expect the closing of certain buildings and the sale of certain "unnecessary" assets including locations which are valuable on the real estate market. Interestingly, few are in valuable locations in Utah since it has such empty spaces but if TSCC had land in cities where I live they might well retrench by both reducing costs and reinvesting elsewhere.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 11:50AM

...about the hot water situation: someone should go to every DI store in Utah and see if there's any hot water in any bathroom. That should solve that little mystery. If the situation is only in one store, then it's most likely a problem with the water heater.

This reminds me of something one of my sillier bishops wanted to do back in the late '80s. We had a brand-new chapel that was just a coupla years old. The bishop was from Minnesota, so he was raised in a colder climate. I was the counselor over the building maintenance. I was a plumber, and I was experienced in HVAC etc. We normally programmed the heat to remain at 55 degrees during the week, and we turned it up on Sunday morning.

The bishop wanted to turn all the heat completely off during the week, and only turn it on when we, the bishopric, began arriving at church early on Sunday mornings. I informed him that if we turned the heat below about 55 degrees, it would take so long to heat the building, that the 3-hour meeting block would be over before the building warmed up. I also told him that since the building was used several nights during the week as well, that turning the heat all the way off wouldn't save much money.

The bishop, being a know-it-all lawyer, insisted on turning the heat all the way off anyway. So the next Sunday morning, in the dead of winter, people began arriving to a chapel that was about 45-50 degrees, and we had numerous complaints. Children were shivering in Primary. All the meetings were over before the building warmed up to even 60 degrees. That ended the bishop's little money-saving effort.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 12:04PM

Plus, you would have the danger of pipes freezing if you shut off the heat altogether, right? You are not saving any money if you are dealing with burst pipes.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 08:44PM

I had a TBM client who turned the heat too low in his home while away: a burst pipe cost a lot more than the savings.

I should also note that I, for one, suffer from hypothermia very easily and at 55 degrees am quickly affected. I was in the Boston Temple once and there was a heating problem and I ended up being taken to the hospital by ambulance in the middle of a session.

One more note: The AC in the chapel was kept too low so I had to stop attending priesthood - enabling me to start going elsewhere for that time slot. Thank God.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2015 08:46PM by rhgc.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 11:59AM

Folks, while we're speculating here, allow me to speculate on the subject of financial market speculation.

The little known world of derivitave market speculation is fraught with high-flying potential as well as unimaginable devastation.

Does anyone think that Morgie would sit on a zillion dollar real estate portfolio without utilizing the enormous leverage it affords?

What happened this week to Austria's banking system may portend the collapse of the unregulated global derivitave pyramid, unstopping the bankster's black hole to mercilessly claim it's due.

Then again, maybe not.

Just speculating.

Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 12:04PM

I had never considered before that the church might be in the derivatives business....very very risky indeed!

Thanks for that consideration. If they ARE, they'd best be led by Jesus himself as one mis-timed investment can cost an entire company it's financial existence.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 03:23PM

my ghawd! If they ever think to play the market, the church could take over the world, what with having a prophet to call their plays!!

Posted by: holytheghost ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 05:57PM

Exactly. just like Kirtland!

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 05:02PM

ChurchCorp lost a huge amount on mortgage-backed securities that were misrated and backed by fraudulent mortgages. This was through their Beneficial Life subsidiary, which they had to infuse with cash just when they needed to be drawing out profits.

I believe the amount they lost was something like $800 million. Too bad Hinckley never saw that one coming!

Posted by: m ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 08:26PM

Look like you may be the one experiencing case flow problems if you're shopping at Federer Industries.

Posted by: m ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 08:28PM

Sorry. .on my phone
Cash....& industries

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 09:27PM

I have been saying for years the church is broke. More evident every year.

Posted by: unabashed ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 10:38PM

This also explains why they keep adding categories to their donation slips and now have a statement that the funds can be used for any purpose, despite donor intent.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: March 03, 2015 08:00AM

Just my opinion but if there is only hot water, most people will stop washing their hands or will just give them a quick rinse, not enough to do any good. So, it has to be the money issue. And since consideration for members has never been a concern for the leaders, hot water would be an easy thing to cut. I bet there is hot water for the central leadership offices however.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: March 03, 2015 08:07AM

It would be interesting to do cultures of various areas in building.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.