Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 03:57PM

Now that Kate Kelly has lost her appeal to remain a member of TSCC, will John appeal his excommunication?

I hope so. I think it's important to make the higher ups weigh in with their stamp of approval - don't let them weasel out by blaming misguided local leadership for the decision.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 04:03PM

Yes.

Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 04:13PM

He probably will. After all, right after his excommunication, he announced "I still love the church". (What the hell...?)

Posted by: sassenach ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 05:39PM

No, it is not likely that he will appeal. I think he and his family are ready to leave.

Also, Tal, it is possible to still love that which, by it's very nature, abuses you. Whether that be a person, a community, or even a religion. There are aspects of Mormonism that I loved, and still do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 05:41PM by sassenach.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 06:55PM

Maybe that's why they abuse us so deliberately is because we will develop feelings that keep us coming back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 06:56PM by Cold-Dodger.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 07:59PM

If the appeal letter is a simple "I disagree with the local leaders. Please make a judgment on my case. Thank you. " seal envelope, stamp it and send it off then MAYBE John might do it.

Just to have the 1st Pres go on record saying we can't accept a guy like John in the church. I hope the old folks in TSCC die off quickly because that will allow the NOMs and others that didn't want to shame their parents to give the church the bird and walk away. Get back to enjoying Sundays again with the family.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 08:07PM

Quite the contrary. A good brief can do wonders. Just several pertinent pages comparing the testimony with the rules should be sufficient. In order to appeal one must put on a defense and I believe John did. The church rules on apostasy are pretty simple and if what John has done does not come under the charge, the SP should be overturned. In my case the SP was furious when I won the appeal. I suspect Kate, with legal training, was able to appeal but lost, probably because she was not present for the hearing. In her case an effective appeal had to be essentially limited to the procedural issue of jurisdiction by her former ward. Only by being present during the trial can one effectively contest the factual issues. BTW, I have won appeals in our appellate courts.

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 11:44AM

Only if he feels the publicity would help his income generation scheme.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 07:38PM

In some way John provides a service. People can donate as much as they want.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 07:57PM

John is a trailblazer, saint and revolutionary. He is the one to ask.

He is on a path - and he will get there, wherever it is... and help, inform and assist a lot of people along the way.

What a lucky family!

What if he was a knot on a log (a TBM)... his family would be stuck with him (and TEC- the evil church), instead of free and able to grow and prosper, to be truly happy, and love one another, as a family should.

Just think how their vacations have changed over the years!

He doesn't need the church.

They need him (to be quiet) (to walk away) (to forget everything they taught him and lied to him about) (to tell the truth since they aren't doing it)!

Friends of John Dehlin... always, no matter what. His family is welcome in my home anytime.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.