Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 03:56PM

Feb 28, 1831 - The Palmyra REFLECTOR states: "It is well known that Jo Smith never pretended to have any communion with angels, until a long period after the PRETENDED finding of his book, and that the juggling of himself or father, went no further than the pretended faculty of seeing wonders in a 'peep stone,' and the occasional interview with the spirit, supposed to have the custody of hidden treasures; and it is also equally well known, that a vagabond fortune-teller by the name of Walters, who then resided in the town of Sodus, and was once committed to the jail of this country for JUGGLING, was the constant companion and bosom friend of these money digging imposters."

Feb 28, 1835 - The Council of Seventy and First Quorum of Seventy are organized.

Feb 28, 1846 - Brigham Young notes that the Camp of Israel formed west of Nauvoo across the Mississippi River "consisted of nearly four hundred wagons all very heavily loaded" and "several thousand persons [who] left their homes in midwinter and exposed themselves without shelter, except that afforded by scanty supply of tents and wagon covers, to a cold which effectually made an ice bridge over the Mississippi river . . ." Young records: "Colonel Hosea Stout with about one hundred men acted as a police for the encampment; they were generally armed with rifles."

Feb 28, 1847 - Brigham Young relates to the high council his vision of Joseph Smith in the spirit world and the prophet's statements about the law of adoption and the need for Mormons to obtain individual revelation.

Feb 28, 1850 - Incorporation of the University of Deseret (later Utah).

Feb 28, 1853 - Millard Fillmore writes Utah's congressional delegate John M. Bernhisel (a member of Council of Fifty), "my thanks for the beautiful copy of the 'Book of Mormon.'" Fillmore is apparently first U.S. president to accept copy of BOOK OF MORMON but may not have even opened it. He appoints Brigham Young as Utah's first governor who gratefully names Fillmore, Utah, as territorial capital from 1851 to 1858.

Feb 28, 1888 - The First Presidency (without President John Taylor who is in hiding) and the Twelve Apostles meet and "Bro. F[rankling] D. Richards was made a committee of one to consider and examine into the indemnity bond given to A[lbert] Carrington, G[eorge] Q. Cannon and B[righam] Young [Jr.] over settlement of church interes in B[righam] Young S[enio]r Estate."

Feb 28, 1894 - On her seventieth birthday Joseph F. Smith, refers to Emily Dow Partridge Young as "aunt." This is a reference to the fact that she became a plural wife of Joseph Smith (Joseph F. Smith's uncle) in 1843 when she was 19.

Feb 28, 1897 - Lecture held in the Salt Lake Tabernacle: "Latter-Day Saints As Modern Children of Israel" by Madame Lydia Mamreoff Von Finkelstein Mountford in honor of President Wilford Woodruff s Ninetieth Birthday. Woodruff and Madame Mountford are so close that later historians suspect that they were secretly married. Madame Mountford is sealed by proxy to Wilford Woodruff on November 23, 1920 in the Salt Lake Temple. In conjunction with President Woodruff's 90th birthday celebration his chronological chart is done and the results published in the PHRENOLOGICAL JOURNAL.

Feb 28, 1902 - David H. Cannon records in St. George Temple Minute Book, "persons, who have had endowments and afterwards wish to be married for time only must go to a temple to be married or they will violate the law of chastity and the children born to such parents will not be in the covenant."

Feb 28, 1919 - Over opposition of Apostle David O. McKay, First Presidency and Twelve vote to "summon" recent plural wives to tell who performed their polygamous marriages. Apostles excommunicate their husbands this day for refusing to answer that question.

Feb 28, 1967 - Brigham Young University student Ronald Hankin publicly admits that under direction of BYU's president, he and ten other undergraduates committed classroom "espionage" on eight professors to document their liberal "political convictions." All student-spies are members of John Birch Society and of BYU's on-campus Young Americans for Freedom. After immediate, official denial by BYU's administration, two weeks later President Ernest L. Wilkinson tells faculty meeting, "I must accept responsibility," but claims "there is misinformation in the charges." Political science professor Edwin B. Morrell resigns as department chair in protest, remains on faculty, and later becomes First Presidency's representative in helping to establish missions in Communist eastern Europe.

Feb 28, 1978 - Leonard Arrington's title is officially changed from "Church Historian" to "Director of History Division of Historical Department." Arrington continues to fill his ecclesiastical calling by giving talks, sitting on committees, and representing the Church in historical matters. When people, including President Kimball, refer to him as "Church Historian," he does not correct them.
The U.S. justice Department charges that BYU off-campus housing practices violate the Fair Housing Act, and give the university one month to conform. The threatened suit grew out of an incident in which a BYU female applied for an apartment in a building approved for male student housing. BYU's policy is that unmarried male and female students may not live in the same building, even if they live in separate apartments, and all students must live in university-approved housing. The suit is resolved when BYU-approved, off-campus housing becomes limited to BYU students only.

Feb 28, 1984 - At a BYU devotional speech Paul H. Dunn tells the audience, "I pitched against Willie Mays as he broke into baseball and I was leaving the scene." He also tells of his WWII experiences landing on Iwo Jima: "We jump in the water, the water's chest high. You gotta hold your rifle over your head. If the muzzle drops in the water-that's salt water-it would blow up when you fire. Did you ever try to run in water up to your chest, loaded down? You don't move very fast. And the enemy starts to pick you up. You're pushing with the butt of your rifle the dead bodies and wounded bodies of your friends and associates you've been training with. The coral is so sharp it cuts the boots off your feet and your feet are starting to bleed like mincemeat, and you're trying to get ashore. I was one of the first ashore that morning. And I dug my first foxhole with my fingernails and I crawled in it. And just as I crawled into that mucky hole an ambu gun opens up that shoots about 700 rounds a minute and it went down my right arm and took off my identification bracelet." The official history of his battalion says there was no combat action when they landed and that Dunn's boat was caught on a coral reef and didn't land until the next day, after the beach had been secured.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.