Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:55PM

According to USA Today, Christian Erskine College in South Carolina has adopted the policy that:"We believe the Bible teaches that monogamous marriage between a man and a woman is God's intended design for humanity and that sexual intimacy has its proper place only within the context of marriage."

The article can be found at: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/02/28/erskine-college-bans-homosexuality/24176125/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:57PM

But the bible has polygamy and incest. I think they're cherry picking. They always do.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 03:06PM

Maybe they have ugly relatives?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 03:24PM

1. The polygamy in the Bible is very limited and only in the OT. In the NT, it is expressly stated that elders and deacons should have ONE wife. Even the OT polygamy was limited except in the case of kings.
2. The only specific place of incest in the Bible which was at least voluntary on one part and not forcible rape had to do with Lot and his daughters got him drunk and took advantage so as to continue the line. The other incident resulted in the perp getting offed.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 09:19PM

Ok. Incredibly stretched and twisted apologetics taken. For what they're worth.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 09:50PM

Polygamy in the OT is not from God. It is something that the
humans do on their own.

Posted by: Anon Dunn ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 11:50PM

You forgot killing. Lots of killing in the bible, some sanctioned by God, some done by God.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 03:15PM

bigots hiding behind god yet again.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 03:24PM

They have a right to believe what they wish. Sounds fine to me?

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 05:13PM

I agree with you on this matter.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 04:30PM

It's a statement of belief. Even college officials admit that they have no idea as to how that will translate to policy. Gay marriage is legal in South Carolina.

Posted by: alexisar ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 04:52PM

I prefer to base my religious beliefs concerning homosexuality on what Jesus himself had so say on the mater, which was, if my minimal religious studies have left me correctly informed,absolutely nothing.i don't think he even came right out and declared his own sexual preference.

I thought we were essentially past the O.T. except as a work of literature and as some sort of vague historical reference.i thought even the LDS church concluded that the Law of Moses was fulfilled with the coming of Christ. And we're not exactly burning our homes down, or at least the sane among us aren't, because mold appeared once, we cleaned it, and it reappeared. So if we (or they) are using O.T. references to support an anti-homosexuality agenda, it would certainly seem to be cherry-picking.

I personally am not terribly interested in anything the Apostle Paul had to say on the subject, either. I'm not sure exactly what his agenda was where many things were concerned, but he seemed to have plenty of his own biases that had little do do with what Jesus taught, and his preachings and writings seemed to have been influenced by those biases. Had he stuck to the words as he actually heard Jesus speak them, what we're presently reading from Paul might read considerably differently. Paul may even have been miffed at himself not having been named the rock, the cornerstone on which the church would be built, and may have taken his jealousy of Peter into account when creating his own philosophies and somehow twisting things to attribute them to Jesus.I'm not sure Paul is that much different than Boyd K. Packer or Bednar or any of the rest of them taking their own personal beefs to conference and elsewhere with them when they address the masses.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 07:18PM

and as for the OT...

"Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant ***with you and with Israel***." Exodus 34:27

Most of us are not descendents of Israel (Jacob). Even using the (highly suspect) biblical numbers, 13.5 million of the world's population were NOT party to this covenant.

If you're a gay/bi Orthodox Jew, you have some soul searching to do, otherwise, have at it (but please practice safer sex).

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 07:29PM

exdrymo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and as for the OT...
>
> "Write down these words, for in accordance with
> these words I have made a covenant ***with you and
> with Israel***." Exodus 34:27
>
> Most of us are not descendents of Israel (Jacob).
> Even using the (highly suspect) biblical numbers,
> 13.5 million of the world's population were NOT
> party to this covenant.
>
> If you're a gay/bi Orthodox Jew, you have some
> soul searching to do, otherwise, have at it (but
> please practice safer sex).

I really like this.

But even if one is biologically Jewish, if he or she embraces any form of Christianity, the Law of Moses was fulfilled and the O.t> is history.

It's a tough one if a person tries to practice both Judaism and homosexuality, though. It may help that Jews don't believe in a hell.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.