Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 11:22AM

The church doesn't reflect her views and beliefs - why in the name of hell would she WANT to be a member?! Join the Methodist or Episcopalian church and move on. Felt bad about what the church put her through, but now this is just getting ridiculous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 11:56AM

sparty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The church doesn't reflect her views and beliefs -
> why in the name of hell would she WANT to be a
> member?! Join the Methodist or Episcopalian
> church and move on. Felt bad about what the
> church put her through, but now this is just
> getting ridiculous.

Let's not be too hard on her. Anyone who reads this forum knows there are multiple answers to that question.

Posted by: istandallamazed ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 04:12PM

She's keeping the issue alive in this way. Yeah Kate!

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 11:26AM

It was decided - before her appearance at the court - that she would be found guilty.
This was a sure bet that she would lose her appeal (has anyone ever won one?).
Why do they pretend that any of this is fair? Everybody would save a lot of time if the bishop or stake president would just send an initial letter to any supposed miscreants that they're being disfellowshipped or excommunicated.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 11:29AM

For the same reason the Soviets had "trials" whenever they arrested political prisoners. It's less about finding the truth, than creating a theater where you can shift all of your problems onto the shoulders of miscreants. At least in regards to apostates.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:34PM

Actually, it was decided before her FIRST appearance in "court." This was the determined outcome from the outset. No surprises here, but it was important for the historical record for her to go through the process.

History will see this time as the Mormon Dark Ages.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 06:24PM

I know a woman who won an appeal. She was exed - don't remember what for, rubbed the local leadership the wrong way. SWK reversed it. The bish and the SP refused to implement it. Seventy was flown in on Saturday, new bish and SP installed on Sunday. A letter was read in sac meeting in the lady's ward the next week.

Good times.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 04:53PM

I won an appeal.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 05:02PM

The refusal to show the letter is standard operating procedure of TSCC. When I won my appeal, the SP would not share the letter. When they decided to re-try me and add another charge which was not explained, and insisted that I "go first" with the defense to unknown charges, etc., I resigned. This can be found in the bios.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 11:32AM

I cannot fathom why she continues submit herself to their "leadership" and rules. Good grief.

Quit empowering them already. Walk away and show them their treehouse club is not going to bully anyone and is beneath her standards.

(OK, I get she has her own reasons and issues.)

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 11:36AM

Boy. We never saw that coming, did we?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 11:52AM

^^

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:25PM

Perhaps she appealed in order to keep the story alive and the storm brewing.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 11:48AM

She appealed because the church publicly claimed it was a "local matter". Her appeal proves a point. It wasn't just a local matter. The church was trying to sidestep responsibility. Her appeal holds them to it.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:42PM

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 11:52AM

if I understood and could explain the hold TSSC has on people, through its 190 years of weirdness, I'd be rich!

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 12:28PM

Her appeal was denied by the same group of men who ordered her bishop and SP to get the ball rolling in the first place.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 12:36PM

By excommunicating her, the Mormon church has lost any meaningful influence over her. She can attend church as she sees fit, or not. She will not have any callings, bishop interviews, or tithing to pay. The instances of people knocking on her door or calling her, wanting things from her, will be drastically reduced or eliminated. She can shed the garments and dress as she pleases. She is no longer restricted by WoW standards. She is still completely free to speak her mind. Who will curb her now? Absolutely no one.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:00PM

It's about time. She had to let them play out their ridiculous charade, so now it's her turn to turn the tables on them.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:27PM

Wonder if John Dehlin's wife will do the same?

Flood the exits...

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:31PM

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:44PM

Good. Now Kelly no longer has an excuse to continue to try find favor with the overlords and might actually move on from the Morg.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:59PM

Now she can write books and get paid for speaking engagements. I expect there will be lots of Baptist churches willing to pay to hear how the Mormons kick women out for wanting to serve God. The Mormon Cult just lost hundreds of new followers if she takes the path of teaching the truth.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 02:04PM

She, being very smart, knew full well that she would be both exed and lose any appeals. She's doing it to illustrate the idiocy and intolerance of TSCC to any type of dissent, and to get that fact into the media as much as possible. Good for her!

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 02:08PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U-2u5jIfjxo

This favorite little 40 second clip from White Men Can't Jump applies.

This is all that I can offer on this confusion of a position. I do see the struggle as worth the effort.

What if she won the priesthood for women, would they win or lose. Would their children (boys and girls) win or lose.

Maybe it would be a tie!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 02:09PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 02:16PM

I admire the way Kelly forced The First Presidency to weigh in, on the record.

She outed them as the real force behind the decision, as Stray Mutt and others noted up-thread.

Outing The First Presidency leaves TBMs no where to turn if they were inclined to make the "only one bishop" argument or "only one stake" argument. No wiggle room. Back the LDS leadership up against the wall.

Date: February 28, 2015 02:18PM

Kelly made the point that her husband did and said many of the same things, but he was not disciplined. Glad they put that in the article.

Date: February 28, 2015 02:38PM

Some of the readers commenting below the Salt Lake Tribune article are using the "ugly woman" argument to diminish Kelly. This is an ugly tactic.

"Intelligent and strong women are wonderful. Every man should be fortunate to have one. But being homely looking is the notion that's hard to comprehend. Let's just say she doesn't keep up with the Kardashians."

Date: February 28, 2015 02:45PM

More bullpucky about Kelly's physical appearance:

"If she did something about those THICK eyebrows, and tried on a different style of eyeglasses...there's potential."

Other major arguments against Kelly include:
"power hungry"
"loves the attention"

The comments about Kelly's appearance and supposed emotional neediness seem to be coming from TBM males.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.