Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 12:20AM

I just don't talk to Mormons anymore and I am starting to worry I won't know what to say if I had to talk to one.

Do they still require 100% home teaching?

Do they still have 3 hours straight of sitting quietly?

Do they still talk about sex all the time?

Do they still say "I know this Church is true"?

Are bishops becoming younger and/or older than they used to be? (smaller pool of candidates)

Is there censorship? Certain words you can't say anymore?

Do missionaries get laughed off the doorsteps now for uttering the delightful title of the 'fabulous' Broadway musical theater production? "The Book of Mormon"

God knows what kind of weird inside commandments or programs they have rolled out

Do they still give guilt-trips about "doing your genealogy" and doing "missionary work"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dodolover ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 10:12AM

Nothing has changed...it is the true church, you know.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 12:16PM

You have missed very little!!

Posted by: Cypher ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 12:42PM

I need to get an update too!

I went inactive about 20 years ago right after I returned from my mission. Work soon took me out of Utah and so I really have gotten out of touch with church news. (The recent essays and my 20-year anniversary of returning from my mission got me thinking about the church again). But, anyway, I usually go home to Utah every year to visit my hardcore LDS family. While I’m there every once in a while I’ll say something about the church that reflects my out-of-date knowledge of current church events. I can always tell when I’ve said something wrong because all of a sudden there will be an awkward silence, (while everyone realizes how totally inactive I must have been), until a sibling or someone will update me, in an “I’m embarrassed for you tone of voice,” on the current information.

For example, one time I think I was trying to imply that I hadn’t been to the temple recently because the city I was living in didn’t have one. Unfortunately for me, the city did have a temple and if I’d gone to church even once I should have known that. Apparently, all my family in Utah knew that there was relatively new temple there! I laugh at myself now!

Also, did missionary homecomings get deemphasized in sacrament meeting? I once asked about a cousin’s homecoming and one of my siblings said something about that, but didn’t explain it much. Any info would be appreciated!

Thank goodness for this site! If I hadn’t come here the next time I visited Utah I could have said something about how all the native americans are the direct, literal, descendants of the Lamanites. When in fact, the Lamanites are now just at best part of the native americans family tree.

Posted by: gingergma ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 02:01PM

This article contains both scientific data contradicting the church's teaching and the spin that negates the science.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/lds_migr1b.htm

Posted by: gingergma ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 02:08PM

I should have said the science contradicting the church's teachings about the lamanites. Sorry

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 02:13PM

The only thing that has changed since I went inactive ten or so years ago involve the temple rituals. I have heard there's no more pay-lay-ale or naked touching. Everything else is about the same. DW is still a TBM. She recently told me she's quitting as a long-time cub scout leader because that program is going to be completely re-vamped next year. Not sure why that upsets her, but it seems to. I have my suspicions that any changes to scouts are heavily influenced by TSCC. These days, TSCC is dominating the BSA. Oh-One other thing. There is now a legal disclaimer on the tithing slips. It says something like "We can use your money for anything we want to, no matter how you allocate it on this form."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 02:17PM by rationalist01.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 05:52PM

My family all left the church about 20 some odd years ago and I am amazed how it is no longer a fun place to be. Why would anyone really want to stay now?

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 05:57PM

For me, the change that I wasn't aware of was the age lowering for missionaries, 18 for males, and 19 for females. The only way I found that out was that my youngest step sister put in her papers so she could go at 19. She returned home just before Thanksgiving and is still in that weird stage RM's are in.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 05:59PM

Though I suppose it's a rather small matter in the grand scheme of things - the one that surprised me quite a bit since I was in anyway, was making members do custodial duties. Members pay SO much to the church - part of that should go toward professional building maintenance, for Pete's sake!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 07:14PM

Mormonism hasn't changed. Have you?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.